Tyre levers

donkeydoo

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all. I need to changes a tubed tyre, having never done this before am after some tips and which are the best tyre levers to get?

Cheers

16 inch Motion Pro. Not cheap but bloody brilliant!
Having said that, shop around and you can find them cheaper. There are videos on YouTube of how they work.
dd1dc329689439aa658bc2273e9fd7a1.jpg

Just make sure you get long levers. Tyre changing is mainly down to technique, not expensive levers. I’ve used a pair of cheap levers I bought years ago for less than a tenner, one end is plain the other end is flat hooked to enable you to get it under the tyre rim and lift it over the wheel rim to start you off

Cheers Steptoe, as always saving us money...

I do not want to spend too much as only need to change the front tyre on the lads little YBR 125, hopefully it will come off easy without too much fuss..

Just make sure you get long levers. Tyre changing is mainly down to technique, not expensive levers. I’ve used a pair of cheap levers I bought years ago for less than a tenner, one end is plain the other end is flat hooked to enable you to get it under the tyre rim and lift it over the wheel rim to start you off

Agreed. I do like that the motionpro ones have a 'bead breaker' facility though - have struggled in the past with breaking the bead on some of the stiffer sidewalled tyres. mitas e07+ are a bugger and im told the K60s are not much easier.

If you get the technique right you only need short tyre levers - if you "need" long tyre levers then your technique is wrong ;)

Just another thought, would I have to take it somewhere to get it balanced?

Just another thought, would I have to take it somewhere to get it balanced?

I take mine to the tyre bod, he rides so is very fussy about damage, balances it to perfection and all for £10
I would have a go if stuck in the hooloo somewhere, other than that it’s not worth the hassle

I use metal mountain bike levers, not expensive.
They are thin profile and hooked at the tip so you dont need to go in too far and risk nipping the tube,
If its a one off the cost of basic tools and effort as a beginner might be outweighed by taking the wheel to have the tyre changed,

What's the general thoughts on the requirement to balance the rear wheel? I've just replaced my tyre for a Mitas E07 Dakar plus and haven't bothered taking it to get balanced. I'm 400miles in and it feels fine.

I dont usually bother with balancing.
If they have tyre pressure monitors i keep the same amount of weights that have been fitted already.

Back
Top Bottom