Brake failure again sorry!

k12pfc

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My 2005 1200 gs (servo) has the brake failure light coming on after 10 miles or so, always resets itself after a rest, the brakes work fine, so its the ABS I assume, a few years ago I remember talking to a dealer I think in Worthing, about having the servo and the ABS removed, well I think its time, only I can't remember who it was I was speaking to, does anyone know of someone local to Portsmouth who can do this bit of work? I'm sorry I know this is a very repetitive boring subject but I wouldn't ask if I didn't need help.

I have a 2007 GSA (non servo) and the Brake Failure Light started coming on recently albeit intermittently. After much internet search and looking here on the forum I contacted https://www.motoscot.co.uk/ who are based just outside Luton in Bedfordshire. (I know its a way from you in Portsmouth but possibly worth a call) They were confident of being able to repair the unit and I took my bike over this morning and after a friendly welcome and a mug of coffee surgery began and within minutes all the plastic and fuel tank had been carefully removed and the ABS unit extracted for closer inspection.
Anyway it transpires that one previous owner had already had an attempt at fixing this fairly common problem but whatever they had done clearly hadn't worked properly but despite this the guys remained optimistic and put their wealth of experience and knowledge to work.
Within a few hours the unit was being put back together and transplanted into the bike once more. After testing all systems were working as they should and at a fraction of a new ABS unit which I understand is about £1500-1800. Ouch!
Very happy and will certainly be using MOTOSCOT in the future and without hesitation wholly recommend them you.

If you wish to servoectomise,
do a search on here there are many threads,

Basically you remove the ABS /Servo unit and spilt the electronics pack off the unit.

You junk the ABS/Servo unit, ans install a splitter / loop hose to split the brakes into independant circuits

You then tape up, box bag or whaterver you want to do to the electronics pack and place that back where it originally sat.

You then need to spilt the kombi (instrument cluster ) and cover the red ABS LEDS.

Mastic & nitto foam works well ; )

I think the motoworks kit is about £30 and its about 3 hours of work to DIY

I have a 2007 GSA (non servo) and the Brake Failure Light started coming on recently albeit intermittently. After much internet search and looking here on the forum I contacted https://www.motoscot.co.uk/ who are based just outside Luton in Bedfordshire. (I know its a way from you in Portsmouth but possibly worth a call) They were confident of being able to repair the unit and I took my bike over this morning and after a friendly welcome and a mug of coffee surgery began and within minutes all the plastic and fuel tank had been carefully removed and the ABS unit extracted for closer inspection.
Anyway it transpires that one previous owner had already had an attempt at fixing this fairly common problem but whatever they had done clearly hadn't worked properly but despite this the guys remained optimistic and put their wealth of experience and knowledge to work.
Within a few hours the unit was being put back together and transplanted into the bike once more. After testing all systems were working as they should and at a fraction of a new ABS unit which I understand is about £1500-1800. Ouch!
Very happy and will certainly be using MOTOSCOT in the future and without hesitation wholly recommend them you.

And how much did you pay?, How long did it take, and what did they do??, and what warranty do they give?

And how much did you pay?, How long did it take, and what did they do??, and what warranty do they give?

Sorry, lacked a bit of detail there :blast

Ok, firstly I don't work for them nor have I used them before but they came recommended to me by a third party and I read on this forum someone else on this forum had used them but I can't recall who that was.
Their standard cost is £320 to remove, assess, repair and replace but It cost me £386 took about two hours while I waited because they found that someone else had already tampered with it and didn't know what was done/buggered by that attempt. However, with mine they supplied a used ABS pump, tested and replaced with 12 months warranty but I'm told they have not had one back that they have repaired.

The non servo ABS is much the same as used on many cars. This is how to repair the motor brushes though I would drill and tap M4 (not too deep) to retain the motor casing. Once separated, the original staked lugs are unlikely to last.

Back
Top Bottom