new to me

Nah ... only one colour scheme I'm afraid ...

i-7P6HjsV-L.jpg

:beerjug:

the first BMW i ever rode , ( not THAT one )

Long legged and good for 1100 miles in a day. I had an RS 1981 vintage before I got my first GS, a very close shave made me realise that for everyday transport in modern traffic better brakes were a bonus! The 'wooden' adjective is a good one, when I went from the RS to the 1150A it was like changing a park bench for a magic carpet! Mine racked up 334,000 trouble free miles and I still got £1800 for her, still on original discs, wheel bearings, clutch.... everything other than service items. I did find the fairing made manoevring in tight spots awkward and caught myself on the edge of the fairing more than once. An iconic bike though and the wind tunnel designing was a step up with Hans Muth at the helm, creating downforce and directional stability. The history of the RS is a great little book.

having had both and many of them I agree with you they are not without fault as are most narrow in the bars not to everyones taste but I good all-round bike within riding limitations there certainly are better bikes but when the airhead bug gets you it gets ya

Long legged and easy to live with.

My old RS and pal Andy's K1. The RS was another bike I should never have sold. Hey ho! Do you know where your old un is now Micky?

Attachments

• RS and K1.JPG
    RS and K1.JPG
    129.9 KB · Views: 276
My old RS and pal Andy's K1. The RS was another bike I should never have sold. Hey ho! Do you know where your old un is now Micky?

Yeah ... a Rotherham guy bought it to 'do up' (?) it was a minter, stripped it down and as far as I know is still in cardboard boxes :blast

But then back in the early 70's I bought an Arial Square Four, 1957 4G model (four exhaust pipes) for £25 and rode it home. Stripped it down to 'do up" but then went on to move police houses and sold it to a pal for the same £25 ... still in touch, he still has it in the same cardboard boxes :D

But then back in the early 70's I bought an Ariel Square Four, 1957 4G model (four exhaust pipes) for £25 and rode it home. Stripped it down to 'do up" but then went on to move police houses and sold it to a pal for the same £25 ... still in touch, he still has it in the same cardboard boxes :D

DOH ! I loved my Square Four.

The Ariel Owners' Club members would be very interested in that collection of boxes :augie. They go for silly money these days.

Bob.
(AOMCC Member - with a '58 VH 500).

DOH ! I loved my Square Four.

The Ariel Owners' Club members would be very interested in that collection of boxes :augie. They go for silly money these days.

Bob.
(AOMCC Member - with a '58 VH 500).

I keep offering him £100.00 for it, a helluva mark up, but he's not interested in selling. If or when he sells it I get first chance. He has a Triumph 500 Daytona with splayed twin carb head and eight leading shoe front brake. An old Triumph Vitesse car with full SAH engine conversion, triple twin choke Weber carbs etc.

I keep offering him £100.00 for it, a helluva mark up, but he's not interested in selling. If or when he sells it I get first chance. He has a Triumph 500 Daytona with splayed twin carb head and eight leading shoe front brake. An old Triumph Vitesse car with full SAH engine conversion, triple twin choke Weber carbs etc.

£100? No wonder he knocked you back! Offer him £200 ya tightwad! :D

I recall that pop paid GBP 6- for his Square Four, but it was a two pipe and the exhaust valves and seats got a little hot--------.
When I tried to check the valve clearances there was room for the complete set of feeler gauges, never mind the individual blades.
New valves were extortionately expensive, more than the bike cost, and as nothing else could be made to fit the valve heads were built up with weld and re machined.
Worked OK and the bike and double adult sidecar gave sterling service for a couple of years before it was moved on for a profit, to be replaced by a Model X Matchless.

Back
Top Bottom