Running rich but only on one cylinder.

This might be a bit far-fetched but I had a Honda Deauville before the GS and it was known for the front cylinder to run a bit cooler than the rear in them because the rear wasn't getting cooled by air flow. This would result in the front plug being a bit darker. Some people even ran a slightly hotter plug in front to compensate. Have you any gadgets bolted on in front of your right cylinder that could be causing something similar?

This might be a bit far-fetched but I had a Honda Deauville before the GS and it was known for the front cylinder to run a bit cooler than the rear in them because the rear wasn't getting cooled by air flow. This would result in the front plug being a bit darker. Some people even ran a slightly hotter plug in front to compensate. Have you any gadgets bolted on in front of your right cylinder that could be causing something similar?

I had 2 deauvilles. Each bought new. 1 in 2001 and the other 2002. The plug thing is news to me. If I remember correctly they have 2 plugs in each cylinder. Kick me if I'm wrong. JJH

You're right. There are two per cylinder. I read about the plugs on the Deauville owners forum. I noticed a very slight difference in my plugs but not enough to do anything about it.

All better now..

Eventually got the VacuuMate plugged in and it showed that there was virtually no leak back from either the exhaust or intake valves on either side and everything is looking as it should :confused:
Put fresh plugs in today and went for a high RPM 150 mile run around, pulled the plugs when I got back and this..

20190417_154435.jpg

Bloody identical mixture :nenau

Nothing has been changed apart from the bike now having a very accurate balance using the VM and me now knowing that my Davida gauges are a little bit out of synch, can't blame it on that though as my other twin spark is balanced using the the Davida and the plugs are also identical colour albeit slightly richer !

Now that I know there's an even mix each side I'll turn the AF-XIED up one notch to 8 and see how she runs, looking good for Turkey now..also good to know that the engine is in proper good order after all these checks.

But why was there such a difference and why now does everything look even without actually changing anything...best not to think and just ride it :D

Look a bit lean to me........Have a good trip. JJH

Lean but even and only 150 miles old, AF turned up to 8 from 7 so things should richen up slightly.

That’s very odd. I balance my throttle bodies with a u tube manometer.......so it can’t go out of balance....if that makes sense. 67k still good compression and running. Especially after adding an af-xied...now smoother than it ever was:)

Back
Top Bottom