Oil spec question

to honest i would like steptoe to elaborate if possible please,as i have been using 75w/90 ,gl5 spec for years ,am i using the wrong gear ,and thats in my r1100rt and my 2010 twin cam gs ,in both the gear box and the final drive ,its not expensive so when it gets an oil and filter change i also change the final drive and the box as well.

From what i can see , and i dont have your exact model details it says an 0413 series 259 R1100RT should be a Hypoid gear oil SAE 90 API GL5

If your not sure phone your local dealer and ask the service dept, they can look your bike up in minutes and see whats specified

I think were both at crossed lines ;)

My referral to Castrol R was joke, Castrol R is a racing spec oil , that gives a very distinct smell when hot or burnt :)

For My 06 FD BMW specify Castrol SAF-XO which referring to Castrol is a 75W/90 Synthetic multigrade , which has been renamed by Castrol as Syntrax longlife 75W/90

They also specify SAF-XO for the gearbox as well .

Thats what they call for, so thats what i filled it with.

That makes good sense. I do the same.

Would be interesting to hear from others who use different spec what their reason is - it cannot be cost given the potential saving is no more than £1-2.

Well full service completed at the weekend.... bike running sweet as a nut.

Tbh it’s such a simple straight forward job to do gearbox and FD fluid change that I plan to change it every 6k with engine and filter.

Opted for 75w90 in the end.

Old oil in the gearbox was a bit smelly as it usually is.... but otherwise looked in good order, as did the FD.

Just waiting for my new rear pads to arrived from steptoe and jobs a good un.

Thanks all for the replies and advice..... ��

SP :thumb2

Well full service completed at the weekend.... bike running sweet as a nut.

Tbh it’s such a simple straight forward job to do gearbox and FD fluid change that I plan to change it every 6k with engine and filter.

Opted for 75w90 in the end.

Old oil in the gearbox was a bit smelly as it usually is.... but otherwise looked in good order, as did the FD.

Just waiting for my new rear pads to arrived from steptoe and jobs a good un.

Thanks all for the replies and advice..... ��

SP :thumb2

If i recall the smell is due to the additives & reaction with the materials it comes into contact with

Back
Top Bottom