Vario’s on a GSA

jj65

Reaction score
Anyone got some photo’s of vario’s on a GSA please? Thinking about fitting them to a 1250 GSA due to several reasons, but mainly so i dont have to have the pannier frames and much narrower (160mm) when not expanded.

Only downside for me would be having to buy the GS passenger footrest hangers.

I am a Vario guy and would never have the alloy boxes.
My setup for the top case is bespoke, I modify the GSA rack.
Benefits are it keeps the S/S look of the bike and lets the Top case sit a few inches lower.
You would have to use the plastic GS rack.

Attachments

• CP (51).jpg
    CP (51).jpg
    247.6 KB · Views: 1,431
  • 20141107_135447.jpg
    20141107_135447.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 1,235
  • 20160521_174847.jpg
    20160521_174847.jpg
    263.5 KB · Views: 1,226
  • 20160521_190713.jpg
    20160521_190713.jpg
    260.7 KB · Views: 1,204
  • 20160731_193111.jpg
    20160731_193111.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 1,332
I had various on my GSA LC.....much more user friendly than the big ally cans

Vario’s still have it for me...’function over fashion’ every time.

However, The alloy cans do have the important advantage over the abs for real adventure riders, in that they can be bashed straight after a tumble, in which case they do win over the plastic.

If you go for the vario’s you will need a pair of these.

Attachments

• 2A1E1B32-8E11-467D-BE94-46535DF467EC.jpg
    2A1E1B32-8E11-467D-BE94-46535DF467EC.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 1,010
I wanted Varios fitted to my 1250GSA when I got it, so it was all swapped from a new GS that wanted metal boxes. I also wanted a topbox that took two lids and got the large "XR" topbox as well which fits the GS rack, rather than the matching Vario topbox. All works perfectly and comfy for my wife on the back.

I had various on my GSA LC.....much more user friendly than the big ally cans

Yeah but the big ally cans generally survive if you drop your GSA. What happens to the Varios when you drop the bike?

Yeah but the big ally cans generally survive if you drop your GSA. What happens to the Varios when you drop the bike?
I hope you are not being sarcastic.
The ally cans easily leaked water after a few drop.
Vario panniers is much tougher than the big ally cans. The plastic material are extremely tough and flexible.
I have lotsa GSA friends complaining about how fragile the ally cans are.

I hope you are not being sarcastic.
The ally cans easily leaked water after a few drop.
Vario panniers is much tougher than the big ally cans. The plastic material are extremely tough and flexible.
I have lotsa GSA friends complaining about how fragile the ally cans are.

Maybe if they put stuff in them, rather than riding around with them empty (just for ‘the look’ :rolleyes:), they’d actually find that they’re pretty tough.:blast

Maybe if they put stuff in them, rather than riding around with them empty (just for ‘the look’ :rolleyes:), they’d actually find that they’re pretty tough.:blast

GSA or GS with panniers is no different to an RT, you use the panniers to carry stuff or store stuff when off the bike, as and when it’s suits you (you don’t have to be touring to have panniers on your bike). I very rarely rode my bikes without them, as I like to be able to put my helmet and gloves in. You may suggest a top box, but not a fan of those, although I perfectly understand those who use them. I can see the Pro and Cons the Varios and the Alloy panniers, but the added advantage of the Varios, is you don’t have the “scaffolding” on the bike when you remove the panniers.

GSA or GS with panniers is no different to an RT, you use the panniers to carry stuff or store stuff when off the bike, as and when it’s suits you (you don’t have to be touring to have panniers on your bike). I very rarely rode my bikes without them, as I like to be able to put my helmet and gloves in. You may suggest a top box, but not a fan of those, although I perfectly understand those who use them. I can see the Pro and Cons the Varios and the Alloy panniers, but the added advantage of the Varios, is you don’t have the “scaffolding” on the bike when you remove the panniers.

But if you rarely ride your bike without the panniers fitted, what difference does it make? :aidan :D

None for me personally, but some seem to think it’s a vanity thing, rather than for practical reasons. :hide:thumb

Back
Top Bottom