BMW or Brembo from discs

tjmouse

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Bike needs new front discs. I’ve heard that the BMW ones are noticeably better than after market ones but they’re also £100 more per disc which seems a bit painful. Has anyone used the Brembo discs and noticed a difference?

Bike needs new front discs. I’ve heard that the BMW ones are noticeably better than after market ones but they’re also £100 more per disc which seems a bit painful. Has anyone used the Brembo discs and noticed a difference?

Depends what year of bike.. the discs changed in 2007/8.

Aren't they the same? You'll not go wrong with any brake parts made by Brembo (IMO).

Aren't they the same? You'll not go wrong with any brake parts made by Brembo (IMO).

Not sure hence the question. I’ve heard reports of chattering under heavy breaking with Brembos and not with BMW discs which surprises me as they set the standard for brakes.

Was wondering if anyone here had had an issue and what the collective wisdom was.

If it is a fairly new bike i would go BMW.
Did you look on Ebay and Ebay.de?
There are loads of low mileage discs popping up.
I would prefer this option to aftermarket.

I had to replace all discs and pads on my 2008 GSA and went with the aftermarket Brembo's from https://www.biketorqueracing.co.uk/. I went for the sintered pads all round (the red ones). They are great, I think slightly better stopping power than the BMW ones and a lot cheaper. I did buy a new set of disc bolts from the dealer but there are a few different lengths so watch out for that.

I have 2008 GS with the Brembo Oros. Replaced my discs with Brembos sourced from Italy. Much better price made it a no brainer. Try the part number from RealOEM in ebay to see what prices you find.

In terms of other options, I seem to remember there not being an EBC disc available for that bike. But I could be wrong

If it is a fairly new bike i would go BMW.
Did you look on Ebay and Ebay.de?
There are loads of low mileage discs popping up.
I would prefer this option to aftermarket.

BMW don't make their own brake discs, pads or callipers, there is no benefit to buying BMW rebadged anything.

Ferodo Platinum pads are a type of organic so (maybe) less disc wear. I have a set in the back that has lasted well. I have their HH sintered in the front.

Sintered pads generally wear the discs faster, but when you cost out the number of pad sets you'll burn through, the sintered (in spite of faster disc wear) are considerably less cost over time. On the Yamaha 900, I was getting 6000 miles out of EBC organic pads and 15000 from HH sintered. The original discs lasted 70,000 miles.

Also watch out with the BMW rear brake pads on an ABS bike. The sintered are ok with ABS but the standard BMW organics on a will not even last 4000 miles before you hit the metal. That linked braking hammers the rear brake. The brake had recently been overhauled and was fine with new pads fitted.

Back
Top Bottom