Little help required..

SA9819

Reaction score
Hello All (Braces himself for the abuse..)

I'm currently riding a 2017 GS Rallye and loving it, but I'm adding miles faster than I'd like. I'm up to 22k and climbing.

I'm looking to spend 3-4k on an R1200RT, what do I need to look out for?

Why don't you want to put miles on your bike? Surely you aren't worried about resale value, because it isn't going to be worth that much anyway.
So why don't you just use it like you want to and ignore the mileage. The cost of running 2 bikes will mitigate the resale depreciation anyway.

Why don't you want to put miles on your bike? Surely you aren't worried about resale value, because it isn't going to be worth that much anyway.
So why don't you just use it like you want to and ignore the mileage. The cost of running 2 bikes will mitigate the resale depreciation anyway.

What he said!

Although the RT is a great bike imho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because I would like an RT...

Because I would like an RT...

Ah, well that reads VERY differently from your original post.
Now, that I understand! So I agree with JJH comments.
Having been a user of both, I highly recommend a 2004 1150RT. They are lovely pretty bikes. The early 1200RT's are ok too, but (IMHO) pig ugly, and don't ride a sweetly as the 1150. If you can stretch to a 2010 - 2013 Camhead, then things start to become much more peppy. However, if you can stretch that far, you may as well get the Wethead!

Having owned a number of RT's over the years, & ridden more, I'd say a nice late 1150RT is a damn good bike. There does still seem to be a number of relatively low mileage examples out there, often much loved & serviced to BMW's schedule.

If you're looking at RTs. Take the panels off if you can and look behind them to see how well the bike has been looked after.

I've seen a few that are extremely rusty behind the covers, when the plastics look lovely and shiny from the outside.

Have my 1200rt since 2006

Bought it with 9,000 on it. Now 60k.
Refused "offer" of extending warranty.
Bounce it off the red line regularly.
Since I bought it, I change the oil & filter once a year.
Never had rocker covers off it.
That's it.
Never washed it, don't know if there is any corrosion, because I never looked.
Never changed anything else on it.
Front pads last circa 35k, change rear ones with the tyre.
Always bought on Ebay for circa £14.00.

What has gone wrong:
Fuel pump controller once.
1 front fork oil seal.
That's about it.
Very trouble free.

Round Europe/bits of africa every year.

Myke

Bought it with 9,000 on it. Now 60k.
Refused "offer" of extending warranty.
Bounce it off the red line regularly.
Since I bought it, I change the oil & filter once a year.
Never had rocker covers off it.
That's it.
Never washed it, don't know if there is any corrosion, because I never looked.
Never changed anything else on it.
Front pads last circa 35k, change rear ones with the tyre.
Always bought on Ebay for circa £14.00.

What has gone wrong:
Fuel pump controller once.
1 front fork oil seal.
That's about it.
Very trouble free.

Round Europe/bits of africa every year.

Myke

Excellent thank you all.

Don't forget that all 1150RT and any 1200RT before late-2006 will have the servo assist brakes.

I had an 1150RT where the servo would go into 'limp' mode, which was damn scary, and I bought a 1200RT with failed servo for a low price.

If you buy one and it goes, you are looking at £1400, or servo-ectomy which is not difficult but time consuming.

Don't forget that all 1150RT and any 1200RT before late-2006 will have the servo assist brakes.

I had an 1150RT where the servo would go into 'limp' mode, which was damn scary, and I bought a 1200RT with failed servo for a low price.

If you buy one and it goes, you are looking at £1400, or servo-ectomy which is not difficult but time consuming.

Was abs not a option on those? I bought a 1200gs new in 04 without abs. Or was abs standard on the rt? JJH

ABS standard on the 1150RT.

I took my servo off after it tried to kill me once!

ABS is standard on the RT, but the 2005-2008 often fail, from 2009 they have a new unit which is supposed to be much more reliable?

I did it. 2009 bike, 38k on the clock, former Police Bike with a full service history and a years MOT. If it's been thrashed, its been thrashed by a professional. And as I'm old and have a couple of qualifications my insurance was £192 fully comp.

Back
Top Bottom