Trailer Alternative

buellzebub

Maximum Mayhem
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
As I have nowhere to store a trailer I've been keeping my eye out for a used Motolug. However I came across this on eBay today, item no. 303091344137.
Has anyone used one? Any good or bad thoughts, observations or reviews?
Looking to tow an 1150GS.
Any input would be appreciated, thanks
f5599a1fbe9dbf9fb468715f897b27ca.jpg

Hi,
I've been in a similar dilemma with poor storage and have thought about it.

I thought the downside with the above is the fact that you need a permanent fixture to your tow bar and I didn't want that. Only cos I'm in and out of the back of my van all the time and would end up with bashed shins. I also didn't fancy towing a bike on the back wheel, its no great probs, but I fancied picking up older bikes which may not be that road worthy on the back wheel.

I ended up fitting a removal swan neck towbar and I've managed to borrow a trailer when I need one. Or I could hire one if needed, they are about £25 for the day, which isnt bad if you only need now and again.

My mate has a motolug and looking round they are one of the best, and he says it is too. Just pricey, but on the plus side they hold there value. They do pop up on fleabay with some regularity. I'd actually like one, as they would be great if I was going to look to buy a bike, cos I could throw in the back of the van and only put together if I actually bought the bike.

Not sure if this ramble is helpful, as we may have different reasons to tow.

good luck with your solution

Ali

I dont know what vehicle yer have but my ford has a weight limit on the towball of 65kg which is a tadge under half a 1150
HTHY

What's the vehicle you're going to be towing with? You'll need something with quite a high nose weight. For example, our VW Tiguan which is rated to tow 2.2 tonnes has a towball nose weight of 100 kg. Medum sized hatchbacks like Golfs are usually c. 75 kg.

Mick & Schtum, that's a very good point I hadn't thought of! It's the other half's Toyota Yaris so I think it's probably a 'no go'. Thank you for the input, potentially saved me from a costly mistake.

What's the vehicle you're going to be towing with? You'll need something with quite a high nose weight. For example, our VW Tiguan which is rated to tow 2.2 tonnes has a towbally nose weight of 100 kg. Medum sized hatchbacks like Golfs are usually c. 75 kg.
Sorry to rain on the parade, but whilst the towing vehicle's nose weight maybe high, what is the drawbar nose weight ?

Example; 4x4 has towball nose weight of 2000kg, but alko chassis caravan has drawbar limit of 75kg.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Sorry to rain on the parade, but whilst the towing vehicle's nose weight maybe high, what is the drawbar nose weight ?

Example; 4x4 has towball nose weight of 2000kg, but alko chassis caravan has drawbar limit of 75kg.

Ehh....? :nenau

Everyone focuses on the towball nose weight; look for around 6% of gvlw, but ignore the fact that the drawbar of the trailer/caravan also has a max weight of around 75kg.

The nose weight, towing an 1150 shouldn't be more than around 60kg so a small/medium sized car would cope with the weight.

How much do you think the rear suspension has to cope with 3 x The Bear and his suitcases of Greggs goodies ?

The nose weight, towing an 1150 shouldn't be more than around 60kg so a small/medium sized car would cope with the weight.

I'm sceptical that it would be as low as that. I'd want to see it on the scales. Besides which the nose weight of a Yaris, depending upon year and model seems to be c. 50 kg.

How much do you think the rear suspension has to cope with 3 x The Bear and his suitcases of Greggs goodies ?

I'm sceptical that it would be as low as that. I'd want to see it on the scales. Besides which the nose weight of a Yaris, depending upon year and model seems to be c. 50 kg.

6% of gtw is recommended by caravan club, Yes I do know the name has changed, as a starting point.

Fully laden 1150, say 300kg; 300 x 6% = 18kg.

Clearly that is to low a figure, so even going up to 36kg or 12% would leave a margin. 18% noseweight is very high, but still only around 50kg.

Do you consider, what impact a fully laden rear suspension has on the ability to tow or pull away on a 1:8 hill start.

So the three Bears and all their luggage will have an overall effect on the gross train weight rather than just the gross vehicle weight.

6% of gtw is recommended by caravan club, Yes I do know the name has changed, as a starting point.

Fully laden 1150, say 300kg; 300 x 6% = 18kg.

Clearly that is to low a figure, so even going up to 36kg or 12% would leave a margin. 18% noseweight is very high, but still only around 50kg.

Do you consider, what impact a fully laden rear suspension has on the ability to tow or pull away on a 1:8 hill start.

So the three Bears and all their luggage will have an overall effect on the gross train weight rather than just the gross vehicle weight.

I'm not sure if I'm missing something or you are. Surely those figures are for trailers with a central axle about which the mass of the caravan pivots...? That's not analogous with towing a motorycle with the total mass pivoting on its rear wheel. :nenau

I'm not sure if I'm missing something or you are. Surely those figures are for trailers with a central axle about which the mass of the caravan pivots...? That's not analogous with towing a motorycle with the total mass pivoting on its rear wheel. :nenau
Nope, Bristol university did study with Bailey caravans on single/twin axle and also single point towing, the stability decreased with lowering of nose weight across all types.

Best way is:

1) use weigh bridge to get actual towing vehicle weight.
2) trailer weight

As it is unbraked trailer has to be less than 750kg, not an issue here, from memory 1150gsa mtplm is circa 450. An unladen 1150 would be around 245kg.

3) Now measure nose weight to say 40kg, and in theory it should be fine.

However, there's still the aerodynamics to contend with, which varies markedly with different vehicles.

As you're unlikely to be hammering along towing with a Yaris, hopefully it wouldn't be an issue.

I’m lost with all the figures. What nose weight would transfer to the hitch on heavy braking? There would have to be a increase as the load tries to overcome the brake force of the towing vechicle. Some force would be a horesintal push and some load would push down as well. Tow away. JJH

As it is unbraked trailer has to be less than 750kg, not an issue here, from memory 1150gsa mtplm is circa 450. An unladen 1150 would be around 245kg.

3) Now measure nose weight to say 40kg, and in theory it should be fine.

Are you talking about a Motolug/conventional trailer here or the rear wheel on the ground thing? I could see that depending on the balance point of a trailer the nose weight could be very light but I think the Rr wheel on ground nose weight would be very high and close to the full weight of the bike.

I’m lost with all the figures. What nose weight would transfer to the hitch on heavy braking? There would have to be a increase as the load tries to overcome the brake force of the towing vechicle. Some force would be a horesintal push and some load would push down as well. Tow away. JJH
The force or momentum with a trailer without brakes transferring to the towing vehicle.

Hmm, I suppose F= MxA(-1) but it is probably linear deceleration as they are attached and the trailer is reliant upon the vehicle brakes. Hopefully, someone can point out any stupid error made by me.

A Yaris is unlikely to deceleration at more than 1g, unless it's hit a wall !

Are you talking about a Motolug/conventional trailer here or the rear wheel on the ground thing? I could see that depending on the balance point of a trailer the nose weight could be very light but I think the Rr wheel on ground nose weight would be very high and close to the full weight of the bike.
Motolug etc, it is getting the weight forward so that the noseweight is around 40kg whilst still maintaining equilibrium.

I'm assuming that any panniers/luggage would be in the Yaris and not on the 1150.

Some vehicles don't have type approval for towing, although a Yaris 1•0L can tow up to 400kg.

Motolug etc, it is getting the weight forward so that the noseweight is around 40kg whilst still maintaining equilibrium.

I'm assuming that any panniers/luggage would be in the Yaris and not on the 1150.

Some vehicles don't have type approval for towing, although a Yaris 1•0L can tow up to 400kg.

Yes, I think Motolug is the way to go, if I can find one reasonably priced

I fit a Dave Cooper rack to the tow bar of my lwb relay van that could carry lots of weight.
I didnt understand why the rack on the back could only take 150kg when i could put lots more inside.
Briefly looked into it and it has to do with how far back from rear axle the tow bar and load is which the longer distance causing leverage which is then lifting the front of the vehicle thus loosing steering and control. Sumat like that anyway :p

https://www.watling-towbars.co.uk/motorhome_axle_loads.html

EBay Muppets!
So I've been watching Motolugs on eBay lately and I have to say there are some bid crazy idiots on there.
Take this one for example, for an extra £45 you could buy a new one from Motolug and have 12 months warranty. Go figure! :blast
0e73f19f5468d51e7c8851d2db186c62.jpg

Some bods would rather save £45 and run the risk.

You chose to save it on razor blades.

That’s life.

Back
Top Bottom