Left Combination Switch Not Working

DaveDay

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all,

Today whist riding I noticed the indicators were not working.
I pulled over and discovered every button on the left combination switch was not working. No horn, hazards, daytime running, indicators or main beam.

I turned the ignition off for a couple of minutes and everything now seems to be working ok again.

Does anyone have any idea what might cause this? The only thing I've done recently is wire a Tomtom to the 12v accessory output of my Hex EZ Can.

Thanks for any info,

Dave

2016 R1200GS

I think the can bus can have a brain fart now and then. Last year I got a rear light cluster failure message and rear lights packed in. Fixed by powering off and on and never did it again. TMF had the same with headlight failure on his Norway trip, same fix, no repeat.

I think the can bus can have a brain fart now and then. Last year I got a rear light cluster failure message and rear lights packed in. Fixed by powering off and on and never did it again. TMF had the same with headlight failure on his Norway trip, same fix, no repeat.

Many thanks for that. Let’s hope it doesn’t happen again.

My 2016 GSA had a new LH switch changed under warranty for a similar fault.

At its 24,000 mile service the rocker switch got a squirt of magic spray

Sounds more like water ingress to the switch to me, often a breakdown of encapsulation - just ask any early K16 owners, they have plenty of experience, which can be pretty scary if the RHS switches fail. Don't be tempted to overdo the WD40/whatever dispersant you may be tempted to use, as with time it leaves a sticky residue that attracts dirt.

You may be lucky & the problem stays away, but you need to recognise that failure at the wrong moment could leave you stranded. If you still have warranty, it's a no brainer - get your dealer to fit a new switch.

Back
Top Bottom