quick shifter

+1 on my late 2016, but with the edition that I have and do use it from 1st to 2nd and occasionally from 2nd to 1st.

The late 2016 models (Euro 4) got the gearbox and drive revisions. My experience is the same as yours and I can't see any negative issue at all. Instinctively, I don't tend to use it 1/2 or 2/1, but actually it seems far happier than me to do so!

I love the Gear shift pro, I have a 2016 bike and it’s just superb. Never had any problems. I even shift into first occasionally as as long as you are almost stopped it does a lovely blip.

Would not have a bike without it now. Yet when I ordered my 2014 GSA I decided not to have it :blast

It comes into its own when you approach a corner too fast and can just knock it down a gear or two, where if you were to use the clutch it might unsettle the bike. Its made making a corner far easier when I first got the bike and misjudged speed due to the lazy engine sound of a twin compared to my previous 4 cylinder.

I've got an MY2016 bike (older style gearbox). The gear assist pro is way more clunky than the version on the S1000XR for example, but I still find it very useable. If it costs £400 to retrofit, that doesn't sound too bad to me.

When I picked picked mine up the dealer said it could be retrofitted for about £400. The bike must have certain software installed and the clutch lever must also have a micro switch fitted. It’s all there on my 64 plate TE but not sure if it’s in any earlier models.

A mate has it fitted to his and bearing in mind it’s the same bike he out-accelerates me easily using the shift assist. He loves it and is well worth it so he says 👍

I had it retro fitted on my 15 GS and it cost about 500 Euros, it has never blipped on down changers and is clunky, so I never use it going down the box, going up it’s ok going from 4/5 5/6 when overtaking.

My 2014 GSA TE had it retrofitted yrs ago for £350 approx .( Everything now is much more expensive in case anybody hasn’t noticed )
It works impressively well going down the box , with good rev blipping . As for going up, well it’s just about ok if ‘getting a good move on’, but cannot be classed as good .
Would I option it again ? … no. I hardly ever use it.

Don't know what all the negative comments are about :nenau

The assist pro most definitely works as a quick shifter on my 2016 bike...hold revs wide open and it snicks up a gear seamlessly and quickly which is the whole point. On the downshift, throttle fully shut, it downshifts brilliantly, blipping the throttle as it goes from 6th to 2nd. I never bother using it for the first two gears as that is the only place where it can be clunky. Mostly I don't bother as there's no need. Those using it at half revs either way are missing the point of how it was designed. It won't shift smoothly if you do that and probably won't do the gearbox much good either. I use the clutch if not in a hurry, as that's what it's for. They're not race bikes. The assist pro helps when on fast A road sweepers to shift up and down quickly if used properly. Took me a while to get used to mine and I'm the first to admit when it didn't seem to work well, the fault was mine. Used properly it works brilliantly.

Yes perfect for me too.
Its not designed to be used when pottering about on small throttle openings. I very rarely let the revs drop below 5k unless im in town or traffic, and the GSAP works fine, and i always use it right down to 1st, which gives a real good pop on the exhaust. You do have to use it like you mean it, no half measures. Big throttle openings and a positive shift.

Stu

Don't know what all the negative comments are about :nenau

The assist pro most definitely works as a quick shifter on my 2016 bike...hold revs wide open and it snicks up a gear seamlessly and quickly which is the whole point. On the downshift, throttle fully shut, it downshifts brilliantly, blipping the throttle as it goes from 6th to 2nd. I never bother using it for the first two gears as that is the only place where it can be clunky. Mostly I don't bother as there's no need. Those using it at half revs either way are missing the point of how it was designed. It won't shift smoothly if you do that and probably won't do the gearbox much good either. I use the clutch if not in a hurry, as that's what it's for. They're not race bikes. The assist pro helps when on fast A road sweepers to shift up and down quickly if used properly. Took me a while to get used to mine and I'm the first to admit when it didn't seem to work well, the fault was mine. Used properly it works brilliantly.

Yes perfect for me too.
Its not designed to be used when pottering about on small throttle openings. I very rarely let the revs drop below 5k unless im in town or traffic, and the GSAP works fine, and i always use it right down to 1st, which gives a real good pop on the exhaust. You do have to use it like you mean it, no half measures. Big throttle openings and a positive shift.

Stu

My manual makes no reference to such - it says that "70-80 % of all gearshifts on a trip can be done without using the clutch."

I think it's a misconception that you have to be nailing it for it to be useful. I find I can use it smoothly at modest acceleration - certainly well below 5k or a "wide open" throttle as long as I'm accelerating when changing up or fully closed for downshifting.

Back
Top Bottom