Pads preferences?

King Rat

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I fitted my new tyres this morning, thanks to Micky, a pair of nice and round profile Michelin Anakee 3s - what a difference to the pneumatic drill the TKC80s convert the Xco into! :D

Anyway, while I had the front wheel out it gave me a chance to have a good decko at the pads.... hum, yes, the wear limit has definitely been reached, so I need to renew them before it turns another mile! Yes there is still meat on the backing plate, but only about 1.3mm, so as I don't know how old they are either, new season, new pads to partner the new tyres. Does anyone have any preference and experience of the various options please?

Who makes the original equipment pads? Are they Brembo pads as well as calipres - and possibly Brembo discs too? It might be a good idea to keep them matched up is my thinking, but happy to be advised from others cumulative experience. :beerjug:

EBC are fine job and much cheaper than brembo IMHO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buy your pads from a reputable supplyer. Motorworks or some such site. You don’t know what your getting on eBay. No matter what it says on the package. Paper never refused ink. JJH

I fitted Ceramic pads to my RS last time, according to the makers they reduce disc wear and pad wear and still have the bite, felt ok to me.

Ged

I fitted my new tyres this morning, thanks to Micky, a pair of nice and round profile Michelin Anakee 3s :beerjug:

Glad you got sorted Simon :thumb2

I always use original pads ... always

How much are you going to save over the years, over the miles, by using anything cheaper?

Is it that important to you?

70,000+ miles out of my original pads and still not down to the wear limit, still on my original discs too (F800GS) :D

Same with the 650XC :thumb

:beerjug:

EBC are fine job and much cheaper than brembo IMHO

As we are only talking about £20 - I don't think price comes into it. Performance and not screwing up the disc is more important than initial price I think. being able to go round corners and stop are rather fundamental to our mode of transport!

Jut seen Micky's post! Our internet went down with the weather we are having....great minds!

If price doesn’t come into it put new tyres on the bike instead of tyres where you have no idea of the life they have had and why did you ask the question when it seems like your mind was already made up

Im not trying to be funny I just don’t get it.

If price doesn’t come into it put new tyres on the bike instead of tyres where you have no idea of the life they have had and why did you ask the question when it seems like your mind was already made up

Im not trying to be funny I just don’t get it.

Because I have never bought pads before.... I've not had to for this bike and the 1150Adv the last time I bought pads for it was about 8 years ago and I can't remember what they were, from Neil as I remember.

The tyres have had no life, so yes I am happy to put them on - they are brand new, with porcupine quills all over them even and they haven't gone hard, have no bumps or scrapes on them, so I have a very good idea of what kind of condition they are in. Plus, on this bike they use a tube, so the tyre is not going to go down, only the tube will and they are brand new, Pirelli tubes, the tyre merely covers them.

Show me where my mind is made up? Read the last sentence of my opening post, it clearly asks for other peoples' knowledge and experience. :thumby:

Footnote: as to buying from an Ebay shop - I agree with what you say in basic principle, but there are proper shops who expand their customer reach by also selling on Ebay the stock from their shop. These sellers I will happily contact from Ebay and buy direct from the shop, they often match the ebay price because there are no fees. My brother has an outlet on Ebay, for the same material (non-ferrous metals and engineering plastics), he also has a warehouse and deals direct with engineering firms - but he sells £100s each week to customers from distance that he otherwise wouldn't find, the same with motorbike shops/outlets.

That’s fair enough, I just didn’t get why you where asking. I took it up wrong, my fault,that’s why I said I’m not trying to be funny.
You can’t go wrong with original pads but EBC are also in my opinion very good. There is 3 main types of material on pads. Organic which is the softest option and great for disc wear but the stopping power is the least effective when needing to stop in a hurry. HH pads are the best for bite and stopping but can lead to disc wear as they are hard wearing. In saying that some bikes come with HH pads but a lot of the BMW’s discs aren’t up to them. Synthetic pads is what I use and I find the best for stopping power without excessive wear to the disc.
I use EBC because they are easy for me to pick up locally and after a fair bit of miles on my bike last a long time and don’t effect the disc. They are cheaper than Brembo our OEM but that’s not why I use them.
I hope I explained myself a bit better and I hope your happy with whatever decision you make.

That’s fair enough, I just didn’t get why you where asking. I took it up wrong, my fault,that’s why I said I’m not trying to be funny.
You can’t go wrong with original pads but EBC are also in my opinion very good. There is 3 main types of material on pads. Organic which is the softest option and great for disc wear but the stopping power is the least effective when needing to stop in a hurry. HH pads are the best for bite and stopping but can lead to disc wear as they are hard wearing. In saying that some bikes come with HH pads but a lot of the BMW’s discs aren’t up to them. Synthetic pads is what I use and I find the best for stopping power without excessive wear to the disc.
I use EBC because they are easy for me to pick up locally and after a fair bit of miles on my bike last a long time and don’t effect the disc. They are cheaper than Brembo our OEM but that’s not why I use them.
I hope I explained myself a bit better and I hope your happy with whatever decision you make.

Excellent, meaningful info there. Thank you. I haven't heard of ceramic pads before, sintered I have. Ferodo, Brembo, EBC, SBS... the market is awash, which is why I asked - oh and that other one, G...(Spanish I think).
Pidcocks can get some in for me - I will replace front and back together, seems churlish not to.

Sintered are HH pads and made up of metal bonded to the backing plate. Work best when they have a bit of heat in them but can wear weaker discs especially the rear on some BMW’s.
Organic are made of rubber, fibres, glass etc and a little bit of metal in them.
Semi metallic are a mixture of both and what I use. They are pretty much the same as ceramic just not mixed with ceramic particles. This is what I use and at a good guess is what is used in OEM or original pads for a G650

I am led to believe that the BMW supplied pads are made by Galfer.

I think so too but the material that is used on the pads is a semi metallic compound in my opinion

Glad you got sorted Simon :thumb2

I always use original pads ... always

How much are you going to save over the years, over the miles, by using anything cheaper?

Is it that important to you?

70,000+ miles out of my original pads and still not down to the wear limit, still on my original discs too (F800GS) :D

Same with the 650XC :thumb

:beerjug:

But your forward observation’s always been Main Beam . . . So doesn’t really count!:D

All fixed and ready for the road ahead. Thanks all for your help and advice, as always. :thumby:

Back
Top Bottom