Nav V Slow to Calculate Route

MacJ

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I am having problems first with Basecamp and then with the Nav V.

1. I have used Basecamp for some time and recently it told me to update to V. 4.7.0 which I did. It reported a number of faults and refused to run on my Laptop. I eventually managed to reinstall V 4.4.6 which now runs on the machine even though it still tells me to upgrade to v 4.7.0. I am not keen to go down that road again.

2. I have set up a couple of routes for a trip to France next week and transferred them to the Device no problem. They show up as new trips ready to import which I do. When I run them they appear to load ok and I can see them in map view but when I select 'Go' they start to calculate very slowly and eventually stop without completing. One of these is only 17 miles with just one Via point

I can calculate old routes and routes from waypoints I enter directly into the machine.

I have a 16gb card installed with loads of memory left on it. I have 1.3 gb of main system memory left.

Any clues as to what's going on would be appreciated.

Mac J

I normally use a 32gb card, you sure the 16 is not full so can’t read anymore ?

Thanks DC but there is 12gb left free on the SD card. I didn't think that the SD memory was used for calculation? I have the feeling it's a problem with the file generated by BC as old routes still generate fine its just new ones that seem to be a problem. It will calculate 170 mile routes from here to Portsmouth docks no trouble but not 3 miles frm St Malo to the Rance Barrier without sticking at 63 %

Thanks DC but there is 12gb left free on the SD card. I didn't think that the SD memory was used for calculation? I have the feeling it's a problem with the file generated by BC as old routes still generate fine its just new ones that seem to be a problem. It will calculate 170 mile routes from here to Portsmouth docks no trouble but not 3 miles frm St Malo to the Rance Barrier without sticking at 63 %

Looks like I shall be bringing my maps then :coold

I've done a complete reinstall to the SD card and it shows CN Europe NTU 2019.30 ALL SOUTH, CN Europe NTU 2019.30 ALL NORTH CN Europe NTU 2019.30 Basic 3D
I'm not convinced though as it doesn't seem to want to calculate a route. It gets to around 60% then just sticks there.

A file D6210080A.img is in the memory card/Map folder

Here’s a guess. When you hit GO of the French route when you are in the UK, you are navigating to the start of the route, from wherever you are in the UK.

If you have some odd preferences, like avoid tolls or use windy routes, the device may struggle.

A file D6210080A.img is in the memory card/Map folder

There should be two files (different names). One is north and one is south. Is the other file in the devices memory?
If so, move it to the same directory on the SD card.
This will free up space on the device for calculations.

I have reinstalled again and I have the files in the map folder on the SD card I have 3 .img files one is NTU 2019.30 and the other is NTU 2019,30.2 I presume one is north and one south and the other is the 3d. If I run BC and use the files on the sd card while the device is connected the maps below the English channel seem much lower detail than those above.
If I try to calculate a route from two points in France it gets to about 63% but very slowly. I've left it running for ages but it never seems to complete.
Could it be that the device will detect I'm in the SOUTH map area and switch?
I'm considering loading an older map file just to get it working

Thanks for the suggestion Wapping, I will find out when I roll off the ferry with Bobsnew on Thursday morning. I think you may well be right.

I have reinstalled again

Did you use Garmin Express?

maps below the English channel seem much lower detail than those above.

Then only North is installed and you just see the base map.

If you use non-NTU maps (even numbered versions) then the CNEU maps fit within the 4gb boundary and the whole map is in only one file.

I have reinstalled again and I have the files in the map folder on the SD card I have 3 .img files one is NTU 2019.30 and the other is NTU 2019,30.2 I presume one is north and one south and the other is the 3d.

If I run BC and use the files on the sd card while the device is connected the maps below the English channel seem much lower detail than those above.

If the maps are much lower detail, I guess that the only reason can be that you have detailed maps installed on the device for the UK but not for France.

Questions:

A. On the device, do you have the north and south maps ticked / selected?

B. Do you have a detailed map of say, Copenhagen? I chose the capital of Denmark as it is certainly on the north map

C. Do you have a detailed map of, say, Rome?

D. Can you calculate an A to B route in:

1. Ireland

2. Sweden

3. Spain

4. UK

One thing I noticed last year when I went to Belgium, was the detail of maps in the area I was going was basic compared to the details shown in the UK. I spoke to Garmin and they told me that once I arrived in France more detail would be available as the detail is linked to the memory in the device. Sure enough once over the channel the maps were fine, it just seemed my Nav V, didn't have enough memory to show all the detail whilst I was sat in the UK, which kind of makes sense. Although I was able to calculate a route from UK to my Belgium destination.

One thing I noticed last year when I went to Belgium, was the detail of maps in the area I was going was basic compared to the details shown in the UK. I spoke to Garmin and they told me that once I arrived in France more detail would be available as the detail is linked to the memory in the device. Sure enough once over the channel the maps were fine, it just seemed my Nav V, didn't have enough memory to show all the detail whilst I was sat in the UK, which kind of makes sense. Although I was able to calculate a route from UK to my Belgium destination.

That’s odd. Are you sure that was not the device’s ability to calculate a very long route, unless a bit of it has been bitten off already? Either the fully detailed maps are there or they are not.

I can sit in London and look at detailed maps for Rome and plot a route from my house to the Pope’s house with no problem. If I ask it to run the route in one go, it might well struggle before I get to Calais or Lyon.

That’s odd. Are you sure that was not the device’s ability to calculate a very long route, unless a bit of it has been bitten off already? Either the fully detailed maps are there or they are not.

I can sit in London and look at detailed maps for Rome and plot a route from my house to the Pope’s house with no problem. If I ask it to run the route in one go, it might well struggle before I get to Calais or Lyon.

Nope, I was going to Chimay for the bike races, when I zoomed into the street where we were staying (on the device), I could only see main roads, so not detailed side streets. Then when we actually arrived on the other side, I could zoom in on the device and get down to all the side streets. I've just calculated a route from UK to Chimay on my Nav VI and again, I can only zoom in so far at the destination end, only as far as the main roads. Yet when we were there, all the side streets etc were shown, which kind of points to what Garmin said, that more detail comes as you near the destination. Not very scientific I'm afraid.

Nope, I was going to Chimay for the bike races, when I zoomed into the street where we were staying (on the device), I could only see main roads, so not detailed side streets. Then when we actually arrived on the other side, I could zoom in on the device and get down to all the side streets. I've just calculated a route from UK to Chimay on my Nav VI and again, I can only zoom in so far at the destination end, only as far as the main roads. Yet when we were there, all the side streets etc were shown, which kind of points to what Garmin said, that more detail comes as you near the destination. Not very scientific I'm afraid.

That is very odd. I have just updated the latest full sets of maps onto my Nav VI. From the comfort of my armchair in central London, I can zoom in to the detailed maps (all installed on the device) for Chimay, plus Rome, Lisbon, Berlin, Helsinki, Dublin, Berlin and all the places - large and small - in-between. In short, the detailed maps for the whole of north and south of Europe are all there and fully useable.

On the face of it, your Nav VI is the same as mine, so they should show the same detailed mapping. The only difference between them that I can imagine is that you might store your maps onto a separate SD card, whilst mine are all and always have been within the device's own memory bank. Why that might make a difference I cannot imagine.

I cannot think why properly installed and selected ('turned on') full detailed maps of Europe might not appear on a Nav VI whether you are sat in Calais, Boston or Tokyo. To test this, I have just turned off the GPS antenna on my Nav VI device (so it has no idea where I am) and still have detailed maps of the whole of Europe displayed.

That is very odd. I have just updated the latest full sets of maps onto my Nav VI. From the comfort of my armchair in central London, I can zoom in to the detailed maps (all installed on the device) for Chimay, plus Rome, Lisbon, Berlin, Helsinki, Dublin, Berlin and all the places - large and small - in-between. In short, the detailed maps for the whole of north and south of Europe are all there and fully useable.

On the face of it, your Nav VI is the same as mine, so they should show the same detailed mapping. The only difference between them that I can imagine is that you might store your maps onto a separate SD card, whilst mine are all and always have been within the device's own memory bank. Why that might make a difference I cannot imagine.

I cannot think why properly installed full detailed maps of Europe might not appear on a Nav VI whether you are sat in Calais, Boston or Tokyo. To test this, I have just turned off the GPS antenna on my Nav VI device (so it has no idea where I am) and still have detailed maps of the whole of Europe displayed.

All my maps are in the device, I have a memory card, but haven't used it for maps. I'll run a few more tests, but in the case of Chimay, I can see the main roads, but not down to the detail where I can see all the streets and names in the town.

All my maps are in the device, I have a memory card, but haven't used it for maps. I'll run a few more tests, but in the case of Chimay, I can see the main roads, but not down to the detail where I can see all the streets and names in the town.

That smells to me like you are looking at just the base map. Quite why the detailed maps would suddenly spring into life by crossing the Channel I have no idea.

As a really wild guess. I wonder if your device has just the base maps installed and active? As it's all but impossible not to have the base maps active, we can assume that they are there.

Did you perhaps create your route to Chimay on your home computer? If so, did it ask you if you'd to bring the detailed maps of the route with it when you imported the route? If so, it is possible (I have never tried) that the detailed maps are linked to the imported route and to nothing else. In other words, if you want to see the detail, you need to run the route.

That is a real stab in the dark on my part as I am struggling to see why you cannot see properly installed detailed maps of south and north Europe on your Nav VI.

Back
Top Bottom