Keyless fob

busy builder

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've just got keyless ride and looking at the fob/key how do I put that an a lanyard or keyring as it only has 2 small holes in top corner ?

What do others do ?

mine came with a keyring attached

It should have a little round key ring thingy. See below.
Nick one of an old keyring and your good to go.

Attachments

• IMG_2780.jpg
    IMG_2780.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 1,252
I keep mine zipped inside my textile trouser pocket in one of these

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Key-...=32360958372182858bf28bd94a5ba4cab72a31c01557

That way I can't loose it. I also have a separate key ring with my house, garage and disc lock keys, together with a separate key for the bike that doesn't have a transponder in it for my seat and panniers/top box so I can't ride off with the bike key still in one of those and get stranded if it fell out.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Key-...=32360958372182858bf28bd94a5ba4cab72a31c01557

That way I can't loose it. I also have a separate key ring with my house, garage and disc lock keys, together with a separate key for the bike that doesn't have a transponder in it for my seat and panniers/top box so I can't ride off with the bike key still in one of those and get stranded if it fell out.

Doesn't that defeat the object of "keyless" ; having it in a shielded case that blocks the signals??
Or is it a joke :) .

I too wondered about those shielded pouches, defeats the keyless transmitter doesn't it ?

I too wondered about those shielded pouches, defeats the keyless transmitter doesn't it ?

The pouch has 2 sections within it, both full size with a partition down the middle 1 shielded, 1 not. So as the normal default it goes in the unshielded bit along with my tracking fob. If I want to add an extra layer of security for the bike when it's in a public place I put it in the shielded section so they can't use a relay devise to steal my bike like they do with cars. Granted if they wanted the bike the "professionals" would come equipped with a battery powered angle grinder to remove both my disclocks and push it away with a scooter but be buggered if I'm handing it to them on a plate.

Similar for me but I don't have the Faraday pouch. I have the keyless transponder on an inside, jacket pocket so it won't get wet if it rains. All other keys in an accessible outer pocket - house, Givi luggage, disc lock and a "dumb" key to take off the seat. I don't take off the seat very often on my RS but there are a few useful items under there that are used occasionally so I do not want to end up leaving the fob key in the lock and then ride off.

OP.....those two holes in the corner are for a keyring to go into.....great image from Jerseyneil........i did similar i attach the key ring to the Lanyard which goes around my neck under my base layer..baselayer is tucked into Jeans....so if key comes off the lanyard, it falls into the shirt and can't escape.....well it hasn't done yet.....

Trouser pocket - and leave it there. Its unlikely you're gonna loose your trousers or ride off without them. Get a dumb metal key from your dealer (about 20 quid) using your VIN for all other key purposes (seat/boxes) and stick that on your key ring. Works a treat.

Similar for me but I don't have the Faraday pouch. I have the keyless transponder on an inside, jacket pocket so it won't get wet if it rains. All other keys in an accessible outer pocket - house, Givi luggage, disc lock and a "dumb" key to take off the seat. I don't take off the seat very often on my RS but there are a few useful items under there that are used occasionally so I do not want to end up leaving the fob key in the lock and then ride off.

My RS doesn’t have keyless but never thought about that when I had a GS with it - good idea :thumb

Trouser pocket - and leave it there. Its unlikely you're gonna loose your trousers or ride off without them. Get a dumb metal key from your dealer (about 20 quid) using your VIN for all other key purposes (seat/boxes) and stick that on your key ring. Works a treat.

I just took a picture of my key and emailed the jpg to a locksmith. Copy of the key posted to me. £16 IIRC. https://expressautokeys.co.uk/

I’ve always wondered the wisdom of sending a stranger a picture detailed enough to make a key then have it posted to the address where a ne’r do well knows the object that the key fits is likely to be found...

I’ve always wondered the wisdom of sending a stranger a picture detailed enough to make a key then have it posted to the address where a ne’r do well knows the object that the key fits is likely to be found...

the key won't make the keyless bike work, just unlock the seat. Do you have the same worry when you order a custom part or set of brake pads to be delivered to your home address? Unlike my key, your part might identify which model of bike you own so they can sell your address to the highest bidder. Do you worry Eurocarparts and Halfords only ask for your registration no. so they can clone your vehicle so you get their workers' speeding fines?

Do you go through life thinking everyone is a crook? My default is to think most people are decent people and I have sent hundreds of pounds to members of this forum by Paypal and received everything in exchange.

I just took a picture of my key and emailed the jpg to a locksmith. Copy of the key posted to me. £16 IIRC. https://expressautokeys.co.uk/
That would have saved me having to supply the part number and explaining to the dealer how to get the key cut to my bike! Mine was a couple of years ago now, so they were still new to the idea I guess. More than one way to skin the cat, eh?

On the bright side, I'm still yet to forget my trousers when I go out on the bike, so my keyless go works fine! :)

the key won't make the keyless bike work, just unlock the seat. Do you have the same worry when you order a custom part or set of brake pads to be delivered to your home address? Unlike my key, your part might identify which model of bike you own so they can sell your address to the highest bidder. Do you worry Eurocarparts and Halfords only ask for your registration no. so they can clone your vehicle so you get their workers' speeding fines?

Do you go through life thinking everyone is a crook? My default is to think most people are decent people and I have sent hundreds of pounds to members of this forum by Paypal and received everything in exchange.

I don't have keyless so a copied key would release my steering lock and enable the bike to be wheeled away - not familiar with how a keyless might work.
While I do not assume everyone is a crook, I think it prudent to reduce any potential opportunity to get shafted, and yes I too have sent many hundreds of pounds of goods to forum members, quite often before I have received cleared funds and I have not yet had cause to regret it.
Having said that it was not something that could ease the theft of something of much greater value and it was not to an unknown website etc

And my bike due to its age would be a fair way down the desirability list in the grand scheme of things. Re garages etc, I have had instances where they have taken the pi*s. ie over 100mph delivering my Merc back to home after a service.

Back
Top Bottom