New Battery

Ted

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Thought I would repost this for information if not already on here. Its that time of year when bikes come out of hibernation and batteries go to the big recycle skip in the sky.
On the Hexhead 1200GS/R/RT the standard battery has a CCA (cold cranking amp) of 190 but a direct replacement is the Harley one at 230 cca. Both same or similar price. Had the HD one on my 09 GS for last 3 years after a couple of standard ones, and throws the engine over with ease even after standing for weeks. Also has some reserve for all our electrical bits and bobs.

MotoBatt number for standard one is MBTZ14S. The HD one is MBTZ16H Both are usual yellow but if you want a black one search MBYZ16 HD
Hope thats useful:thumb2

I'm going to get a new battery in the next few weeks, I've got a 2011 GSA twincam and it's the original battery that's in it.
It has never failed to start but sometimes, even after a long run, the engine will almost stop during start up and then it spins over and starts, it can be quite unnerving.
I fancy the Odyssey Extreme battery but it seems to be a tight fit and bugger about with cables faff to fit it. I'll probably end up with the MotoBatt. :thumb2

The standard battery was underpowered and had a plastic block where it sat on. Like you said there are higher powered ones that fit after taking out the plastic block and turns the motor round without any trouble or hesitancy

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

I believed the hype & have had 2 Motobatts in my 1200, both gave up in just over a year each, first was similar size to the standard one and used the plastic tray the second was bigger and didn’t use the tray. Very disappointed in them both and have reverted back to a new OEM, much better. Have used only OEM, in my 1150 and they seem to last around 7-8 years before needing to be changed, on the third now, bike is 19 years old.

I'm going to get a new battery in the next few weeks, I've got a 2011 GSA twincam and it's the original battery that's in it.
It has never failed to start but sometimes, even after a long run, the engine will almost stop during start up and then it spins over and starts, it can be quite unnerving.
I fancy the Odyssey Extreme battery but it seems to be a tight fit and bugger about with cables faff to fit it. I'll probably end up with the MotoBatt. :thumb2
That matches my experience. It was on the original until about 6 weeks ago. Fitted a lithium. Huge difference in start-up. I mean what a difference. It fires up instantly. The battery is incredibly light in the bargain.

But I'll have to report back after a winter or two to confirm continued performance!

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Also had Motobatts on several bikes over the years. My 09GS had the recommended Motobatt after 4 years. That only lasted 12 months even on a trickle charger. Changed it for a super duper lithium one, weighs nothing, and worked great for 18 months before showing signs of failing. had bike checked over by suppling dealer and confirmed battery problem. Suggested the HD one and been fine with no hint of a problem or slow cranking and rarely have it on charge. Much cheaper as well but heavier. Bout the same as my puncture repair kit so no real issue..

I am on my 2nd motobatt battery the last one lasted 7 years.

I had an odyssey battery for 4 years before it started to fail. expensive and a faff to fit, so decided on a Motobatt as a replacement which is now 18 months in and showing signs of failure.
So im going back to the Odyssey when it finally kicks the bucket which looks like sometime soon. :blast

The Odyssey seemed to have more cranking power.

If you seem to be "going through" batteries have a look at any aux sockets fitted. Do a bit of electrical work on the bikes and have found more than one with enough gunk, corrosion, in the bottom to keep the socket live when you switch off. Even had a new GSA back in 2016 which would keep them live. Dealer had to be persuaded to reprogram the bike to cure it. Made up a simple tester now and check every bike I work on before I start, it goes out exactly 60 sec from switching of the ignition. Just a 12v led and standard socket..

Attachments

• test socket.jpg
    test socket.jpg
    245 KB · Views: 401
I am on my 2nd motobatt battery the last one lasted 7 years.

The original battery on my 2011 twin-cam lasted until 2018 and was working perfectly when i replaced it last year with an identical one because I thought it had more than done it's job and i just didn't want to risk it for another winter.

I don't think that the OEM batteries get enough credit...........

The original battery on my 2011 twin-cam lasted until 2018 and was working perfectly when i replaced it last year with an identical one because I thought it had more than done it's job and i just didn't want to risk it for another winter.

I don't think that the OEM batteries get enough credit........
+1 I use my 07 GS to commute 12 months of the year and never had a problem with std battery

I don't have mains power to the garage so needed something that doesn't need mollycoddling.

My brother needed a battery for his Beemer so he had my Odyssey and I fitted the JMT lithium. Cranking speed was the same with both of them. Adding jump leads to the car battery did not make the lithium crank any faster, suggesting it's easily up to the task. The weight difference between lithium and Odyssey (<1kg to >5kg) was a surprise.

Hello
My new battery arrived today. After much deliberation I decided on a Yuasa YTZ 14S. I went out to fit it this afternoon and found out the original battery is a Yuasa YTZ 14S ( with a BMW label on it ) so it was a straight swap.

The one I took out is 8 years old so it's lasted well and if I have any problems with the new one, I'll let you know. :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom