Bit weird ..... 12K miles

I dont ride around like a pussy either. That 12k was done in 5 months all over Europe, loaded up , and camping sometimes. Im a bit puzzled by this .....
On my 1150GS I was getting over 20K from a Metzerler Tourance (Not EXP)

I'm always very confused with huge mileages out of rear tyres. I seem to get 5500 to 6500 miles out of them incl the Tourances on 1150s in the early noughties. Never had more than 6.5k. Ever.
20k ? How?

I used to get around 8500 from the rear with maybe another 500-700 miles left in it before completely being on the limit with the law. Front around 14500. Metzzeler, Tourance Next, Conti Trail Attack 2, and my latest tyres on the GSA were Dunlop Road Smart 3 which lasted on the rear before I sold the bike for around 7600 miles and in the sale I included original shite Anakee 3's for the new owner to sort it out. I was never the fastest rider out there but nor was I the slowest either, Infact my slowest ride was with the wife (on her R9T) last year to Tuscany and back, as she kept falling behind and I ended up having to slow down to keep her in the my mirrors.

I think 8000 miles ir realistic and I would say quite an average.

I wonder if quoted by many low miles out the rear is due to changing them at the slight hint of squaring off rather than legal limits. Those who use bikes purely for pleasure probably do, but those who commute and so on trying to get most out the set they can as circa £300 to change at slightest squaring off is allot of cash. It soon becomes more expensive than running a car or taking atrain everyday if you factor in 6000 mile service intervals.

20k ? How?

My 1150 was serviced religiously every year by a friend who used to be a BMW service engineer, then started up on his own. Olly.
Anyway, It was him who told me each time I had him change them. In fact one time he had a guy in his workshop who flatly refused to believe it. But it was recorded on his computer. I had 22000 a& 20500 on Metzerler Tourance.
When i switched the the GSA LC it dropped hugely, but still happy . My Tyre is square. Thats Ok as its nowhere near the legal limit yet. Where others probably would have changed it ages ago.

Why shite ?

I know they can be noisy on the front......

Never liked them. Scrubbed in snakes 3’s in the wet were worse than brand new I scrubbed Metz Tourance Next.

Out of 4 sets I’ve used on GS and GSA, number 4 being worst and 1 Best.

4th: Anakee 3
I had these replaced from new on my GSA, (following previous experience on my GS) with next in line...
3rd: Continental Trail Attack 2
2nd: (close call) Metzeller Tourance Next
1st: Dunlop Road Smart 3

Now all of these tyres are the ones I’ve used on GS/GSA and not necessarily the best tyres out there. The scores are set purely on my personal experience

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Evening All,

I picked up my awesome 2018 GSA TB beginning of Aug 2018. It was the shops ex demo and on collection day they changed the rear tyre at 4335 (for free). Now 7 months later coming up for the 12000 mile service, the front tyre has done 11000 and the rear 6315.

The front has prob got 1-2000 left, and I’m not counting what’s left on the rear.

On my last bike Triumph Tiger I had Metzeler Tourance Exp which racked up 15000, then changed for Metzeler Tourance Next which hit 12000, before I changed bikes.

Not sure if I should get the Anakee 3’s again, I have no probs with them and they do the job, or shall I go to Metzeler Tourance or roadtech’s or the RP4/5’s

1500 from a rear is my best

gotta agree thats superbike rear tyre mileage....you should be getting 8k average on an Anakee ......

My last 3 PR4 Trail Rears were shot at round 6k. The fronts would last nearly double the rears. So the changes were Front & Rear; Rear; Front and Rear.
I could have squeezed a bit more out of the rears but when they start tramlining I begin to lose confidence in them, especially in the rain.

I got 7500 from my Anakee 3 and the guy that fitted my new tyres thought there was still some life left.
Now have Dunlop Roadsmart 3 and very happy, good grip and less noise. Currently at 5000 miles and looks plenty of life left.

I got 7500 from my Anakee 3 and the guy that fitted my new tyres thought there was still some life left.
Now have Dunlop Roadsmart 3 and very happy, good grip and less noise. Currently at 5000 miles and looks plenty of life left.

Roadsmart 3 are good tyre. Was very happy with them on my GSA.

gotta agree thats a twat riding like an idiot with either a ham-fist and/or shite suspension on a superbike rear tyre mileage....you should be getting 8k average on an Anakee ......

Corrected for you..

FFS - I got 6k from a D280 soft rear on the 10R. Admittedly it has an ex-WSB Factory Ohlins shock that is correctly valved and sprung but I can get 5k on D211 rears. The ZZR1400 will do 4-5k on a rear.

....... It soon becomes more expensive than running a car or taking atrain everyday if you factor in 6000 mile service intervals.

Ahh but your not factoring in the time saved. My commute into town at rush hour in the car would be about 1 hour and 20 minutes. On the bike it’s just 20.

That’s near enough 2 hours per day. Then over 5 days.., what’s the monetary value of 10 hours of your time per week? That’s a working day right there. Pays for the added expense of using the bike and then some!
Anyway that’s the man maths I use with the wife

Ahh but your not factoring in the time saved. My commute into town at rush hour in the car would be about 1 hour and 20 minutes. On the bike it’s just 20.

That’s near enough 2 hours per day. Then over 5 days.., what’s the monetary value of 10 hours of your time per week? That’s a working day right there. Pays for the added expense of using the bike and then some!
Anyway that’s the man maths I use with the wife

Fair play, now turn it in to overtime and you get s new set of tyres every couple of weeks. Perhaps a bloke who manages 1500 miles out the rear on his awesome steed should think this way

12k bloody eck Nige that is nearly 20,000 kms, reminds of the Michelin commander 2,s on the Harley, they where hard as hell but got 16000 kms out of them, riding as you do like a pussy on a Harley............:D

Fair play, now turn it in to overtime and you get s new set of tyres every couple of weeks. Perhaps a bloke who manages 1500 miles out the rear on his awesome steed should think this way

I suppose you could put it down as business travel and add the civil service mileage rates - that should keep you in tyres :)
At least I get about 6k from my tyres. The only time I got less than that was on my KR which would get about 3-4K

4000 odd would see most rear tyres of with spirited road riding on a GS. That what i get and usually 2 rears to a front.

4000 odd would see most rear tyres of with spirited road riding on a GS. That what i get and usually 2 rears to a front.

Unfortunately for the last while most my riding has been commuting so get a fair bit longer from the tyres.
I tend to replace them as a pair as they are usually close for wear and the OCD in me hates to mix new tyre with mostly worn

Back
Top Bottom