Ali luggage on a GS

Benji

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all, anyone fitted Ali luggage to their GS (2014/5, te)?
What type, worth doing?
Appreciate any comments 😃

Hi.
I fitted the BMW aluminium panniers normally on a GSA to my 2015 GS LC. Really simple to do, since the GSA pannier racks fit on the GS, the passenger foot pegs just need to be removed, since they are not a straight swap.
Since the panniers weren’t keycoded, was also relative easy to code them to my ignition keys.
Been great and have had no issues with them. Still looks good, but then only use them for trips away and not every day use.

Agree with what SpacemanS said. GS pillion passenger pegs just need a modification and they are ok with BMW aluminium panniers.

Thanks, what mods need doing to pillion pegs?

I ended up getting the GSA passenger pegs. Otherwise, if you don’t take a pillion, you can just remove them and use the same bolts to secure the rack.

(The GS passenger pegs have the attachment at the end for the vario panniers, these interfere with the GSA pannier racks)

Or you could modify your GS pillion hangers to work with the BMW racks by cutting off the lugs but they will then be redundant for use with the Varios

I have a set of GS pillion hangers that some nutter butchered with a hacksaw to get the aluminium pannier frames to fit :blast

I will try and dig them out for a photo ;)

I fitted a set of SW Motec panniers and racks. I looked at various options but the Motec ones appealed as the racks can be removed in seconds when not needed so you don't have to run with them on all the time.
Very pleased with the quality and ease of use. I had a set of Vario panniers but I prefer top loading to side loading.

Ive got the Stainless steel Touratech frames fitted to my GS LC and the OE GS PILLION PEGS ARE WORK FINE WITH THEM, excuse caps :)

Thank you all for the replies, so what’s the best to go for , sw motec, givi or touratech, that’s if I don’t want the gsa ones and footpeg🤔

I put Givi Outback Trekkers on my 2015 TE, no problem. Ideal for touring and easily detachable.

Will be coming up for sale very shortly.

I put Givi Outback Trekkers on my 2015 TE, no problem. no mods required. Ideal for touring and easily detachable.

Will be coming up for sale very shortly.

I have the GSA boxes for my 17 Rallye, no rear footrests fitted when the luggage is on the bike as I travel solo, when the panniers are not required I take the pannier frames off the bike as it's only a 10 minute job, you could argue that the pannier frames offer some protection to the bike in a low speed fall or drop I just prefer the cleaner uncluttered look and use a GSA Top Box for day to day rides or weekend trips, you will need the GSA rear rack to fit the Top Box though.

IMG_1217-L.jpg

Just fitted BMW racks to my 2013 GS LC-- the removal of the pillion peg hangers wasn't an issue as I don't need them. Simple to fit -- just bolt straight onto the existing points where the varios hang.
As stated, the Vario hangers would get in the way of the Ali boxes but in practice I found that the little brackets that bolt to the subframe wouldn't fit around the hangers anyway.

Very happy with the Holans I had previously, but found a set of 3 BMW boxes to fit the racks that have been on the shelf for two years...
Keeping the Holan box on the bike as it fits the GSA rack, lower profile and a wee bit bigger.

Yes they keep the original pillion pegs, just need a small bracket fitted between the pegs and the subframe.

Thanks, what mods need doing to pillion pegs?

To use the same gs pillion pegs you need to cut the metal on the pillion peg so that the bolt that holds the gas framework will fit. Sounds a bit drastic but it isn't.
If you are really interested I could take a picture.

Got the Touratech black alu on mine, great quality boxes, the advantage is that the exhaust side box has a cutout so they hang symmetrically

They’ve got the quick release system which is OK but nowhere near as good as the system on the Givi Trekker Outbacks (had them on my Crosstourer)

Work fine with standard peg hangers

Attachments

• A35ED3FD-4F26-4EFD-871D-7544D368F7DD.jpg
    A35ED3FD-4F26-4EFD-871D-7544D368F7DD.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 235

Back
Top Bottom