ESA 1 rider 2 rider

J biker

Reaction score
Probably covered but cant find the answer to this;

2017 Rallye Sport esa

I can adjust between road and dynamic on the move. Can select auto/dynamic/something else before setting off(?)

Problem is that the 1 rider/2 rider luggage/no luggage has gone from the display and the it does not come up on the selection menu. Tried disconnecting the battery and re connecting no joy.
Ideas to the problem?
I think its now set at 2 rider and luggage, ( it was set to this last year , though cannot confirm other than the ride is hard)

I don't know the answer either, I just use max and min suspension. Think it does the same thing.

I know it was not easy to find in the menu...but now its just not there.

It an extra setting btw.

When I was being shown the controls and things at pick up of my R1250GSA, the lad said that there's an Auto setting that adjusts the ride height and things automatically based on the loading of the bike when you set it. You just need the engine running and to be stationary so you can set it. I assume that would do the same job as telling it 1 rider/2 riders?

The preload adjustment system before the 2017.5 model year (which ran from March 2017) required a manual selection between three preset options, rider, rider +luggage, and rider + pillion, which would not necessarily be that accurate if you did not conform to BMW's idea of how much weight each of these options involves.

From model year 2017.5 onwards this was replaced by a fully automatic system, whereby the bike detects actual suspension load and adjusts preload by the exact amount required . To use this you set the preload to AUTO. There are also MIN and MAX preload settings, though I believe these are only intended for specific situations and not for general use.

When I was being shown the controls and things at pick up of my R1250GSA, the lad said that there's an Auto setting that adjusts the ride height and things automatically based on the loading of the bike when you set it. You just need the engine running and to be stationary so you can set it. I assume that would do the same job as telling it 1 rider/2 riders?

It is true that you can only change the setting while stationary, but the AUTO setting does not actually adjust the suspension preload until after you start riding. Not sure why this is, but it means if you last used the bike solo, but next time with a pillion, the suspension can be very saggy at first, until it readjusts, and in the opposite situation can be too high until you move off and it adjusts to the lower weight.

The preload adjustment system before the 2017.5 model year (which ran from March 2017) required a manual selection between three preset options, rider, rider +luggage, and rider + pillion, which would not necessarily be that accurate if you did not conform to BMW's idea of how much weight each of these options involves.

From model year 2017.5 onwards this was replaced by a fully automatic system, whereby the bike detects actual suspension load and adjusts preload by the exact amount required . To use this you set the preload to AUTO. There are also MIN and MAX preload settings, though I believe these are only intended for specific situations and not for general use.

Checked 5 minutes ago, turn on the ignition, at the bottom of display it shows 2 rider and luggage. I cannot access this anymore. This is the issue.

I have Minimum, Auto and Max as well as Road/Dynamic still available.

Sounds puzzling. As far as I am aware you either have the Rider/Rider+Luggage/Rider + Pillion type preload setting, or the later MIN/AUTO/MAX type. If the latter I don't think it will say 2 rider + luggage. What type of display are you referring too - is it this the TFT display, or the analogue dials plus small LCD type?

At the bottom of the display. It only stays on the display for seconds, hence the blurry shot.
I can see the shock extending and shortening the spring when I scroll between minumum and max loads.

Isn't that just the self test screen at the beginning of startup? So that may not actually be something that you can select and is just a carry over from when that was actually selectable on previous models or something?

Isn't that just the self test screen at the beginning of startup? So that may not actually be something that you can select and is just a carry over from when that was actually selectable on previous models or something?

Exactly what I was going to say. The LCD was originally designed for the previous preload system, so those graphics are still highlighted at switch on even though they have no function if you are running the later AUTO preload system. If you have MIN/AUTO/MAX as the preload options you are running the later system, and you no longer have the ability to select Rider + Pillion, etc. If this is the case, then I suggest you just put it in AUTO mode and forget about it.

It is true that you can only change the setting while stationary, but the AUTO setting does not actually adjust the suspension preload until after you start riding. Not sure why this is, but it means if you last used the bike solo, but next time with a pillion, the suspension can be very saggy at first, until it readjusts, and in the opposite situation can be too high until you move off and it adjusts to the lower weight.

I guess part of the reason is when stationary part of the weight will be supported by your feet so not an accurate reading. Also it gets a better idea of where the weight is (rider or hanging way out back on a top box) when the bike is moving.
This is all guesswork by me.

I guess part of the reason is when stationary part of the weight will be supported by your feet so not an accurate reading. Also it gets a better idea of where the weight is (rider or hanging way out back on a top box) when the bike is moving.
This is all guesswork by me.

Could be something like that as I suppose the rider might support some weight while stationary, so even if preload was set while stationary it would have to be checked and adjusted while moving to be sure of a correct setting, or for example to allow for a pillion getting on just before setting off. However, I think it would be better if it at least made an initial adjustment before moving as this would be better than riding off with excessive sag due to the last ride being solo and the current one being with pillion and luggage. It would also avoid the problem I have found in this situation where I have to retract the sidestand before the pillion gets on otherwise the excessive sag causes it to be trapped and unable to swing back.

I also wondered if it does something clever like only pumps up the preload at moments when the suspension gets unloaded during the normal cycle of compression and extension, so as to reduce the load on the adjustment motor. However, it seems quite happy to jack up the preload to the MAX setting while stationary which would go against that theory, so it is more likely that as you say measurement of weight while moving is more accurate, whereas there is no measurement needed for the MAX and MIN settings, so these can be set while stationary.

I also wondered if it does something clever like only pumps up the preload at moments when the suspension gets unloaded during the normal cycle of compression and extension, so as to reduce the load on the adjustment motor. However, it seems quite happy to jack up the preload to the MAX setting while stationary which would go against that theory, so it is more likely that as you say measurement of weight while moving is more accurate, whereas there is no measurement needed for the MAX and MIN settings, so these can be set while stationary.

I was wondering the same. It would definitely give the motor an easier life if it is going to be more active than the older system and adjusting to load settings each ride.
I find mine sometimes can be a bit inaccurate and the ride height not be where it normally would be. I end up moving it to max or min, let it adjust, then put it back to auto just to reset itself so to speak.

Back
Top Bottom