Interphone / SENA question

ecker32

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi,

I am in the process of updating my comms, and want to go to a Bluetooth system. The mate I tour with and I currently have Motorola radios + Autocom with a PTT button.

So, the stupid question is - can you mute the mike on the Bluetooth systems, particularly Interphone or SENA, as we don't want to spend hours listening to each others mad ramblings and profanities! Our current PTT overcomes this but new phones / nav mean that BT is the way forward - if it works!

The web sites and forums don't really mention this bit....

Thanks in advance :bounce1

Hi Ecker

No one answer fits all for this one, but me and my riding buddy Redrick of this parish and many others for years used the set up you describe.

We went over tho Sena’s about 2 years ago. With just the two of us we can just press and stay connected all day, yep you hear all sorts of shite specially when Rick’s doing his morning coughing routine or decides to sing to himself. I have got used to it, but you can tap once to both disconnect and reconnect if you prefer.

That’s fine with two riders but it gets complicated with more as you all have to connect in sequence. With just the two paired there will always be one of them that’s the primary, the one that can do the connect and disconnect, need to check but I think if I close the connection Rick cannot open it again until I tap again, so it isn’t a two way thing and that’s where the old coms with PTT was an advantage.

To be honest I have got used to being connected all day, you speak or you don’t? Been on several trips now with three or four riders all connected and it’s fine you can have a bit of group chat no PTT one man stuff. I got used to it quite easily as I ride with mates and apart from the hacking Rick first thing in a morning it doesn’t bother me being open mic most of the time, just a bit different from the analogue PTT times

It’s simple enough to use the combination of both Bluetooth and the PMR radios
You hook the radio up to the bike, in a similar way to why you do now, you grab a Bluetooth adapter like a Sena SR 10, connect the PTT to the bike, then pair up the headset with the SR10. You can now talk as and when required . You get a slight better better distance of use using this setup, as esp if you use an external antenna on the bikes.

Thanks for the responses guys.

It certainly looks like what we are aiming at is achievable. I fancy ditching the wired system altogether, but it is still an option to keep part of it if that works best. May phase it out slowly... :)

Ecker.

Have a look at the Cardo PackTaclk... it uses DMC technology and with a tap of the button you can mute without disconnecting. If you have more that one friend then everyone stays connected but muted (or not) as it is the individuals choice.

The further benefit is it can also connect to other riders that only have Bluetooth connection and you also have 2 separate Bluetooth channels to connect a phone/music & Nav system if you so wish.

Thanks Flaming T - I'll take a look.

So far I've only really looked at SENA and Interphone kit.

:bounce1

Fortunately I can never hear Redrick singing, but when connected to my current other half (via Sena 20S) i do occasionally get wind noise when she leaves her microphone outside her helmet, and she can get annoyed with me singing along to music. One click on the wheel by either of us disconnects, and then reconnects.

Back
Top Bottom