Carlisle to Gourock Ferry route

DCB401

Reaction score
Hi, there's a group of lads heading from Cumbria up to Glenco then Kinlochleven for a overnight stop and home the next day. So rather than go up the M74 to Erskin Bridge etc, i'm thinking of a more interesting route coming off the M6 just before Gretna Green, and making our way up to the ferry at Gourock which then gets us over to Hunters Quay, and then up and on to Inverary - A85 - Glenco.
Are there any roads to steer clear of, and any not to miss.
Initial thoughts are heading to Dumfries, and up the A76 or keep heading West towards Castle Douglas and taking the A713. I have no knowledge of these roads at all, so not sure if they are mega busy, or slow winding roads, so any pointers greatfully accepted.
Thanks Duncan.

Can't help you south of Gourock, but the route you have from Hunter's Quay is a good one. A815 to A83 to Inverary. Then take the A819 north (you won't be disappointed! :)) to the A85.

Turning right on the A85 brings you along some cracking road to Tyndrum then it's the A82 to Glencoe. The A82 can be busy with traffic, but the scenery is awesome along the way.

Turning left on the A85 bring you along Loce Awe and past the Cruachan visitor centre. Again, cracking bit of road - as is the A282 from Connel to Balachulish and then onto Glencoe on the A82.

My recommendation? Do one option on the way up and the other on the way back home. Also means you don't have to suffer the A82 as it runs alongside Loch Lomond. It's busy with traffic and tight and twisty making overtakes difficult even for a bike. Full of tourists and Sunday drivers too so best avoided. :thumb2

Hi, there's a group of lads heading from Cumbria up to Glenco then Kinlochleven for a overnight stop and home the next day. So rather than go up the M74 to Erskin Bridge etc, i'm thinking of a more interesting route coming off the M6 just before Gretna Green, and making our way up to the ferry at Gourock which then gets us over to Hunters Quay, and then up and on to Inverary - A85 - Glenco.
Are there any roads to steer clear of, and any not to miss.
Initial thoughts are heading to Dumfries, and up the A76 or keep heading West towards Castle Douglas and taking the A713. I have no knowledge of these roads at all, so not sure if they are mega busy, or slow winding roads, so any pointers greatfully accepted.
Thanks Duncan.

If you have a garmin I can send you a route for each day. just pm me with where you your staring point in cumbria is and how many miles your happy doing each day. oh and an email address to send to

Pablo1, i have a garmin 350, its old but does the job. Starting off meeting up at Carlisle Honda bike Garage and then off onto M74. Only going for one night this time so its one day up to kinlochleven, then a return the next day. Want least amount of motorway, but also not wanting to spend hours on tiny slow country lanes if you get my drift. Thanks for any suggestions, Duncan.

Good choice. The road up from Dunoon is just superb. One of the prettiest roads in Scotland.

Pablo1, i have a garmin 350, its old but does the job. Starting off meeting up at Carlisle Honda bike Garage and then off onto M74. Only going for one night this time so its one day up to kinlochleven, then a return the next day. Want least amount of motorway, but also not wanting to spend hours on tiny slow country lanes if you get my drift. Thanks for any suggestions, Duncan.

If you give me an email address i can ping you a suggestion, 275 miles each way from Carlisle, looks like this, return in red

Capture.JPG

Hi Pablo1, thanks for the routes i shall give them a good going over, all the best Duncan.

My riding areas , best to turn onto A75 and then the A76 heading for Kilmarnock (cracking road nice n twisty but fast flowing bends :) ) you'll pick up the A71 to Irvine where youll head onto the A78 heading north which will take you up the coast to Largs then gourock no motorways jus fast A roads :) sorry dont use sat navs jus road signs and maps ..

Back
Top Bottom