Weird Ignition Circuit Fault: Neutral/clutch/sidestand-related

Sounds like you have lost the earth to the side stand switch (UP). Broken wire, or switch.

Many thanks Mr H, you were spot-on.

I just spent a happy 3 or 4 hours checking earths, tracing wiring, untangling wiring, threading new wire through sleeving, re-soldering and tidying up.

The 3 wires from the neutral switch run in a sleeve which passes behind the starter motor and up to a connector to the left of the ABS frame. Contrary to the wiring colours shown on the diagram, this sleeve contains a red, brown and white wire. The brown (earth) wire had broken. Post-the connector, the colours are per diagram.

It seems that, 4 or so years ago, when I had the gearbox out to replace the clutch, I must have trapped the wiring sleeve as I was bolting the subframe back together. It's taken this long to decide it's had enough. I would have been chewing on for another day at least, left to my own devices.

I owe you a beer at least and I'm so impressed that I have re-subscribed :D

PS, where did you get that diagram - it's much clearer than mine?

PS, where did you get that diagram - it's much clearer than mine?

I lifted the diagrams off the internet years ago, and can’t seem to find them now. They are for an R1150RT twin spark, So also cover my Twin spark GS, with a few minor differences. Most of the wiring on all the 1150 range is the same throughout the production run. But the 2003 upgrade to twinspark and servo brakes added additional wiring as well as fuse protection for the low and high beam lights.

As yours is an 2001 model, they probably wouldn’t be very helpful.

Anyway,
Glad you’re all sorted and back running again
Ian :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom