First impressions of my new R1250GS

fred_jb

Reaction score
I've just had the first run out on my new R1250GS, having had it in bits in the garage for a while fitting various gizmos - BikeTrac, alarm, front/rear dashcam, phone charger, additional horn etc, plus a HexeZcan to power it all. Still running it in, but given that, first impressions as follows.

A few more vibes apparent through the seat at some revs than my previous 1200, but not through the bars - though not excessive or disturbing.

The extra torque is quite misleading if you judge your speed by engine feel - I was finding that I tended to be in one higher gear and going 10 mph more that I thought I was whenever I looked at the instrument panel. Can see I'm going to have to be more attentive in speed camera areas until I get used to it!

Even while not really exceeding 5000-6000 rpm this thing shifts. I thought the 1200 was good, but this is noticeably better, overtakes are effortless without needing to drop a gear. The low speed running is also much improved, nowhere near so on/off as the 1200, so you can trickle along at very low speed when required without a tiny movement of the throttle causing the bike to leap forward - so much more civilised.

Gearbox is much better than the old bike. Even though the 2017 1200 supposedly had the improved box it was always stiff and uncooperative changing from first to second and to a lesser extent from second to third. The new one has an easy shift every time.

Suspension feel is quite different, and I'm not sure why. Road mode feels more like Dynamic mode on the old bike, or possibly as if the tyre pressures are too high, but they are not. Could be because I am on the new Annekees which may have a stiffer carcass, having mostly run Roadtec 01s on the old bike. Could also be that I did a lot of the miles on the old bike two-up with luggage, which probably calms down the suspension response quite a lot.

The chuntering/whining noise from the front which I had on the old bike and which stopped when I replaced the Annekee 3s with Roadtec 01s is back, presumably still due to the tyres, so an early change may be on the cards.

Overall, very enjoyable, and the new engine is going to be superb, both for long distance two-up touring, or solo local blasts.

Nice one, Fred. Got any pictures?

Nice one, Fred. Got any pictures?

Here ya go

877ff81d8f9eaf501eaeb5f3c3922012.jpg

I have a 2018 R1200GSA and don’t experience any of the issues you had with your 1200 and run Anakees?

Gearbox is butter smooth, throttle response precise and I don’t need to change down for overtakes.

Must have a good one!

I've just had the first run out on my new R1250GS, having had it in bits in the garage for a while fitting various gizmos - BikeTrac, alarm, front/rear dashcam, phone charger, additional horn etc, plus a HexeZcan to power it all. Still running it in, but given that, first impressions as follows.

A few more vibes apparent through the seat at some revs than my previous 1200, but not through the bars - though not excessive or disturbing.

The extra torque is quite misleading if you judge your speed by engine feel - I was finding that I tended to be in one higher gear and going 10 mph more that I thought I was whenever I looked at the instrument panel. Can see I'm going to have to be more attentive in speed camera areas until I get used to it!

Even while not really exceeding 5000-6000 rpm this thing shifts. I thought the 1200 was good, but this is noticeably better, overtakes are effortless without needing to drop a gear. The low speed running is also much improved, nowhere near so on/off as the 1200, so you can trickle along at very low speed when required without a tiny movement of the throttle causing the bike to leap forward - so much more civilised.

Gearbox is much better than the old bike. Even though the 2017 1200 supposedly had the improved box it was always stiff and uncooperative changing from first to second and to a lesser extent from second to third. The new one has an easy shift every time.

Suspension feel is quite different, and I'm not sure why. Road mode feels more like Dynamic mode on the old bike, or possibly as if the tyre pressures are too high, but they are not. Could be because I am on the new Annekees which may have a stiffer carcass, having mostly run Roadtec 01s on the old bike. Could also be that I did a lot of the miles on the old bike two-up with luggage, which probably calms down the suspension response quite a lot.

The chuntering/whining noise from the front which I had on the old bike and which stopped when I replaced the Annekee 3s with Roadtec 01s is back, presumably still due to the tyres, so an early change may be on the cards.

Overall, very enjoyable, and the new engine is going to be superb, both for long distance two-up touring, or solo local blasts.

Picked my 1250 rallye up 2 weeks ago and have done 34 miles on it already!! Fucking work!!

Got a 300 mile run planned for Sunday, I didn't even test ride before I bought so am really looking forward to see how it is compared to my 2016 adventure

Picked my 1250 rallye up 2 weeks ago and have done 34 miles on it already!! Fucking work!!

Got a 300 mile run planned for Sunday, I didn't even test ride before I bought so am really looking forward to see how it is compared to my 2016 adventure

Enjoy your trip, I'm sure you will! I am planning on getting some running in miles done on Saturday with a 350 mile round trip to meet up with some biker mates at Loomies cafe.

Love the bike but I find the brakes to fierce. The Brembo’s IMO were much more progressive and had more feel. Maybe just me.

Me too dude! Picked up a new 1250 GSA 2 weeks ago and haven't ridden it since bringing it home. :-( Not due to work, but the crap weather! Apparently things are brightening up from Sunday and all next week.....

I have a 2018 R1200GSA and don’t experience any of the issues you had with your 1200 and run Anakees?

Gearbox is butter smooth, throttle response precise and I don’t need to change down for overtakes.

Must have a good one!

+1...but I have PR4's now.

Must have a good one!

Ditto apart from the noise from the Tyres.......but i have got used to it so all is good

Must have a good one!

I'm with Big Nick. My 2017 Rally turned two yesterday. I have done over 10,000 miles on it (not a good weather rider) and have never experienced Fred's issues. I had A3's on for the first 8,000 miles. My gearbox is excellent and I have never got my head around this 'snatchy, jerky throttle syndrome. People moaned about this with the VFR800 VTEC. I had one and did 20,000 miles on it without issue. I then did similar miles on my 2010 GS TC again people moaned about snatchy fuelling????? I suspect that (some) of those who experience this often ride in too low a gear (in my opinion). All that said. I'm delighted that new owners of the 1250 are happy with them. You should be. You have invested a lot of hard earned cash in the new one (as I did in 2017 on mine). As stated above. Mine was 2 years old yesterday. It is still cleaner than when I rode it out of the showroom and I hope it will serve me for years to come.

I hope this does not come across as bitter and twisted. I don't intend it to be I'm just sticking up for the 'old' 1200 as all the new owners of the 1250 are quick to claim how great the emperors new clothes are.

As you were......

I love mine and it is better than the old one , its that good 3 of my mates now have them as they rode mine got back on theirs and said Wanker... the rest is history.
Note: not bitter and twisted or clothed myself in mysterious cloth , just own one and now know the difference after 2500 miles of … ohhh that's good.

I am finding it hard to find neutral, often easier to find going from 2nd to 1st rather than up from 1st which I'd normally do. Anyone else finding that?
This is my first GS so I can't compare to any previous models. Pleased with it tho! Power in super, even in running-in period. Got first service tomorrow morning so will be a nice trip home (tho I've just seen it's due to rain!).

I am finding it hard to find neutral, often easier to find going from 2nd to 1st rather than up from 1st which I'd normally do. Anyone else finding that?
This is my first GS so I can't compare to any previous models. Pleased with it tho! Power in super, even in running-in period. Got first service tomorrow morning so will be a nice trip home (tho I've just seen it's due to rain!).

Once it has had first service and a few miles it will loosen up , is the lever in your correct position and do you ride in off road boots as often reduces feel.

My 1200 was really bad for finding neutral and would just flip between first and second. I found I had to put minimal pressure, just lightly tapping the lever to stop it going past neutral.

My 1250 is a lot better. It still does it a bit but usually gets neutral on the second attempt.

I don't use offroad boots but still quite sturdy ones (Daytona); I'm sure I'll get used to it but from what Fred has said, it may never be as easy as my previous / other bikes. No big deal and I guess it's better to not be able to find neutral rather than finding it every time I change gear. I may have a play with adjusting the lever.

Back
Top Bottom