First impressions of my new R1250GS

I don't use offroad boots but still quite sturdy ones (Daytona); I'm sure I'll get used to it but from what Fred has said, it may never be as easy as my previous / other bikes. No big deal and I guess it's better to not be able to find neutral rather than finding it every time I change gear. I may have a play with adjusting the lever.

I hope so as mine has no issues at all , before the first service it was a little awkward but now is a delight after a few miles.

Enjoy your trip, I'm sure you will! I am planning on getting some running in miles done on Saturday with a 350 mile round trip to meet up with some biker mates at Loomies cafe.

That's a fair ride for you! Bahnstormers is just up the road too for coffee and biscuits!

Last time I was there (3 weeks ago) they had a chocolate mini roll but that may have gone by now... 😜

Nice one, Fred. Got any pictures?

Here you go, but as I said, pretty similar to the old bike.

I haven't yet fitted my panniers because on the 1200 I put a low level exhaust from the RT on the bike so that I could modify the Shad pannier mounts to fit the panniers close in to the bike, giving an equal width both sides, and overall no wider than the bars, which is good for filtering.

The plan on the new bike is to modify a GS exhaust to fit lower down as the style is more in keeping with the bike - watch this space!

untitled-50731-X2.jpg

untitled-50729-X2.jpg

After 4 years of GS ownership, the look is finally starting to grow on me. Mind you, that might be the Shad top-box doing that, instead of the Vario on mine.

what setting do you have to use on the shad to fit a full face helmet inside? max or the one bellow it?

what setting do you have to use on the shad to fit a full face helmet inside? max or the one bellow it?

Can't really remember as it's been a while since I last used it for just the helmet, but I've got a feeling that it fits in the medium position if there isn't too much other junk in there. Will check it out tomorrow and get back to you.

No That´s allright I was asking out of curiosity because I considered buying it but thought that the expandability woudn´t be a good selling point if you had to have it on the max setting all the time to carry a helmet, bought a 48l Kappa (Givi clone) and am very happy with it :)

No That´s allright I was asking out of curiosity because I considered buying it but thought that the expandability woudn´t be a good selling point if you had to have it on the max setting all the time to carry a helmet, bought a 48l Kappa (Givi clone) and am very happy with it :)

It is fairly quick to expand if you prefer it in the small position when riding but need to put a helmet (or two) in it when you stop, but when I'm touring I tend to have it expanded anyway to carry other stuff.

that was my reasoning, thanks, looks good on the bike anyway

Good morning Fred. Another East Midlander here. Do you carry a passenger and if so, does he/she find the back rest on the top box comfortable?

Good morning Fred. Another East Midlander here. Do you carry a passenger and if so, does he/she find the back rest on the top box comfortable?

Hi Rudolph. Yes my wife rides pillion, though I call her the Ryanair pillion as she usual flies out and meets me in whatever area we are touring. That way she avoids the long boring (to her) parts of the trip and avoids having to go on the ferry. We had a rough crossing over the Bay of Biscay a couple of years ago and she said never again!

She finds the backrest comfortable, maybe helped by the fact that I fit the pillion seat in the most forward of its two positions. This gives a little less space for me, but more space for her, and by bringing her weight further forward is probably also a little better for the weight distribution on the bike.

Fred

new 1250 te exclusive

like you I'm really pleased I've gone back to gs I've had over ten different gs models over a 12 year period + 3 multistradas and got to say this is like night and day, little niggly bits on previous models mirrors cant see fek all over 6omph new bike superb(mind I'm still running in)the gearbox has got to be one of the slickest out there, that tft and gps are superb,I'm not to sure about the screen yet as it has been a bit blowy up here in Scotland will wait and see if any body has any recommendations :thumby:

Done about 350 miles on the 1250 today. Love it! Engine is just brilliant and gearbox is so much better than my 1200 that it's a pleasure to use.

I did notice some interesting noises today. I thought I was imagining it at first, but it makes the odd popping noise on giving it some throttle, possibly on each upshift, usually just a single pop, so not like the series of pops and bangs you can get on the overrun when going down through the box rapidly.

I never had any such noises on upshifts on the 1200, so I wonder if it something to do with how the fueling interacts with the shiftcam. I also feel that the idle seems quite fast, about 1100 rpm, but maybe this is for the running in period and will be lowered at the 600 mile service. Anyone else noticed this?

Done about 350 miles on the 1250 today. Love it! Engine is just brilliant and gearbox is so much better than my 1200 that it's a pleasure to use.

I did notice some interesting noises today. I thought I was imagining it at first, but it makes the odd popping noise on giving it some throttle, possibly on each upshift, usually just a single pop, so not like the series of pops and bangs you can get on the overrun when going down through the box rapidly.

I never had any such noises on upshifts on the 1200, so I wonder if it's something to do with how the fueling interacts with the shiftcam, or maybe it is the sound of the shiftcam solenoid firing? I also feel that the idle seems quite fast, about 1100 rpm, but maybe this is for the running in period and will be lowered at the 600 mile service. Anyone else noticed this?

Fred, you did 350+350=700 miles today? 😬😜

It’s my first GS so can’t really comment but if I ride without earplugs on any bike I hear all sorts of noises I’ve not heard before. Not (touch wood) had anything to worry about tho.

Fred, you did 350+350=700 miles today? 😬😜

It’s my first GS so can’t really comment but if I ride without earplugs on any bike I hear all sorts of noises I’ve not heard before. Not (touch wood) had anything to worry about tho.

No - a 350 mile round trip - i.e 350 in total!

Sorry about the double post. I did an edit to add the thought that maybe the popping noise I was hearing (with earplugs in) was actually the solenoid activating the Shiftcam. For some reason the noise seemed to come from the left side which I thought was odd if it was fuel detonating in the exhaust which is on the right, though I don't know why I would hear the left side ShiftCam and not the right side, unless I'm just more deaf on the right side!

Well I have gone from a 2017 GSA to the 2019. Whilst there was no great compelling reason to change I did because I wanted a change, and for me I don't need to justify the spend. I think the first post gets most of the things I find good about the upgrade.

My likes: The new screen , suspension, think it is much better , the handling, the new geometry makes this bike very nice to ride no need to correct in corners .

Only a few hundred kilometers so no real tests as yet. The above makes me well pleased for the change . Best is I have been able to change all my old stuff over with the exception of the crash bar fit on's. Acro exhaust was a straight fit , along with Camera mount , tank bag , and other assorted bits.

Back
Top Bottom