Anyone alter Ergo seat for 1050/1090/1190 Adv?

R800

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Really found the standard seat on the 1090 too hard, so went for the ergo seat.

I love the look of it, and it’s super comfy... but i really am on tip toes with it. The touratech low seat costs crazy money and can’t seem to get any decent reviews of it...

Have a local guy who alters seats here recommended to me and he said he can lower the seat a bit for 80-100 euro.

Has anyone any experience of lowering the ergo seat?
How much comfort sacrificed, how much did it help, and would it make a tolerable heat issue less tolerable?

Many thanks
Rory

* How much comfort sacrificed,

Surely this would be very different depending on who modified it and how?

* how much did it help,

As Above

* would it make a tolerable heat issue less tolerable?

Doubt it would change this much

On "Our" 1090 (Me and Mrs used it) I just dropped the forks through the Yokes about 10mm and wound the rear sag down to minimum to match, this worked very well taking her from feeling a bit tip-toey to far more planted. The handling and suspension performance still seemed spot on to me, in fact it was a much better handling machine than my 1190.

After riding it a while she became far more confident and is now borrowing my 1190 for our trips away which is standard height as the EDS means I cannot wind down the pre-load and it is already a lot more twitchy than the 1090 so I don't want to drop the forks - you may also find after a while the height is less of an issue.

Keep the Ergo seat as it is. Get a Hyperpro spring which has more sag than standard, get someone with a spring compressor to swap them over, drop the forks through the yokes about 10mm and you're done. The sidestand still works as the bike sits on it the same, but once you're on it the spring compresses more allowing you to reach the floor easier.
Only other thing I did was remove the centrestand as I was a bit concerned it would drag when cornering.

* How much comfort sacrificed,

Surely this would be very different depending on who modified it and how?

* how much did it help,

As Above

* would it make a tolerable heat issue less tolerable?

Doubt it would change this much

On "Our" 1090 (Me and Mrs used it) I just dropped the forks through the Yokes about 10mm and wound the rear sag down to minimum to match, this worked very well taking her from feeling a bit tip-toey to far more planted. The handling and suspension performance still seemed spot on to me, in fact it was a much better handling machine than my 1190.

After riding it a while she became far more confident and is now borrowing my 1190 for our trips away which is standard height as the EDS means I cannot wind down the pre-load and it is already a lot more twitchy than the 1090 so I don't want to drop the forks - you may also find after a while the height is less of an issue.

Ya I have never had a seat modified and I’m concerned it would ruin it as I presume everyone has a different shape and riding style etc.along with the level of craftsmanship

I’ve been riding it since May and I did get used to it to a certain extent but I do think I would be a lot happier at slow speed a bit lower. Also I can’t really move the bike backwards while sitting on it too easily.

Last edited:
Keep the Ergo seat as it is. Get a Hyperpro spring which has more sag than standard, get someone with a spring compressor to swap them over, drop the forks through the yokes about 10mm and you're done. The sidestand still works as the bike sits on it the same, but once you're on it the spring compresses more allowing you to reach the floor easier.
Only other thing I did was remove the centrestand as I was a bit concerned it would drag when cornering.

Might be an idea. Was also thinking about the front springs as I feel it dives a bit after coming off the GS. That’s about the only thing I found the GS better at besides being able to reach the floor...

Would more sag make it handle different or softer?
I like how it handles at speed.
I don’t bother with ye centre stand with paddock stands anyway.

I see on the hyper pro site theres a spring kit and a lowering spring kit, is it the lowering one your referring to?

Thanks again

Can't remember how it was worded as I bought it off ebay secondhand. The spring is the same length as standard it is wound differently so it sags more at the start of the travel. Still handles fine 2 up with luggage.. Had to try pretty hard to get the peg to touch down in Portugal....

Cool thanks

Back
Top Bottom