What is this pin for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

millsy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I am just about to pick up a R1200GS for my missus, and I noticed this pin, can anyone tell me what it is for?

Attachments

• wheel 2.jpg
    wheel 2.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 1,448
That looks like the air valve to inflate the tyre.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Far canal :blast

All of the 3 GS's I have had, all had spoked wheels with the valve on the rim, so ive never had any dealing with alloy wheels, so thanks to all of the guys with genuine advice, as for smart arse comments, thank you even more, to take the time out of your day to contribute so much :thumby::thumby:

Apparently the centrifugal force causes the valve in the rim mounted ones to unseat itself, allowing air to escape.... Not desirable on any wheel, never mind a front wheel.
The valve is at 90° to the centrifugal force when it is spoke mounted.
Obviously its too much effort for the smart arses to offer anything useful, if they had any clue in the first place

I thought the right angle valves were just for ease of access, but obviously only possible to provide on the alloy wheels. I would have thought the internal air pressure is more than adequate to keep the valve seated regardless of orientation.

I thought the right angle valves were just for ease of access, but obviously only possible to provide on the alloy wheels. I would have thought the internal air pressure is more than adequate to keep the valve seated regardless of orientation.

I agree seems to have worked fine for the last 100 years or so!

Yep ...... and here is a bit of advice; By all means swap out your standard valve for right angle one at tyre changing time but NEVER fit those right angle adaptors to your standard valve and leave them on . They are ok to screw on and off when you are inflating your tyre but if you leave them on they often don’t seal well at all and you will get a slow release of pressure leaving you with a flat tyre . :thumb

That a bit better Steadysteve ? :thumb

Next question; what’s that big round thing it’s attached to? :D

:jes:jes:jes

You mean like on each and every tubeless wheel everywhere?

AFAIK the problem reared its ugly head on sports bikes with smaller diameter wheels doing silly speeds. Smaller diameter means more wheel rpm's ( and therefore more centrifugal force) at any given road speed. Certainly more centrifugal force than a bike on 21" wheels and most likely running at lower speeds.

So, No not like every tubeless tyre everywhere. I believe tubed tyres have valves as well.

AFAIK the problem reared its ugly head on sports bikes with smaller diameter wheels doing silly speeds. Smaller diameter means more wheel rpm's ( and therefore more centrifugal force) at any given road speed. Certainly more centrifugal force than a bike on 21" wheels and most likely running at lower speeds.

So, No not like every tubeless tyre everywhere. I believe tubed tyres have valves as well.

Your hypothesis is unconvincing.

It does not matter what size of wheel you have, the outward force is the same for a given road speed, the valve is traveling always travelling at the same speed regardless of circumference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom