What is this pin for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
New spokes wheels have right angle metal valves mounted on the rim. And I have not seen any loose spoke on my 1250 yet

It's not semantics - there is a force towards the centre of rotation which causes the continual change of direction of an object moving in a circular path. Centre fleeing, which I believe is what centrifugal means, would be the correct name for a force acting outwards from the centre of rotation if such a force existed, but it does not.

I know it doesn't exist but we treat it as if it does for practicality sake. FFS what is it with feckin theorists. They'd rather be precise than understandable.
We know gravity doesn't actually exist but we treat it as if it does, to stop our brains exploding thinking about space-time distortions.
Jeeez...

Centrapetal force is what your looking for...
A centripetal force (from Latin centrum, "center" and petere, "to seek") is a force that makes a body follow a curved path. Its direction is always orthogonal to the motion of the body and towards the fixed point of the instantaneous center of curvature of the path.

Centrapetal force is what your looking for...
A centripetal force (from Latin centrum, "center" and petere, "to seek") is a force that makes a body follow a curved path. Its direction is always orthogonal to the motion of the body and towards the fixed point of the instantaneous center of curvature of the path.
Centripetal force is the inward force. The effect of the outward force is called centrifugal force (though we know it doesn’t really exist).

New spokes wheels have right angle metal valves mounted on the rim. And I have not seen any loose spoke on my 1250 yet

I have a new 1250GSA 'base' which has the 'old' vertical valves. Couldn' t believe it when I went to check the pressures! Not easy to access with the spoked wheels without an extended and flexible valve attachment! (My 2017 GS TE had right angled valves which were much easier).

Quote on Page 183 of R1250 GS Adventure Riders Manual:-

"WARNING Tendency of valve inserts installed vertically to open by themselves at high riding speeds."

WTF?! I have vertical valves on my 1250 GSA (base).

It's not semantics - there is a force towards the centre of rotation which causes the continual change of direction of an object moving in a circular path. Centre fleeing, which I believe is what centrifugal means, would be the correct name for a force acting outwards from the centre of rotation if such a force existed, but it does not.

The force towards the centre isn't caused by the rotation, it's caused by GRAVITY.

The force towards the centre isn't caused by the rotation, it's caused by GRAVITY.

I didn't say what the force towards the centre (centripetal force) was caused by, just that it exists, unlike the imaginary centrifugal force.

I suppose in the case of the earth orbiting the sun you would be correct to say the force towards the centre is gravitational attraction (though let's not get into exactly what that is!). In the case of a rotating wheel I would say that what stops bits of the wheel rim flying off at a tangent is not gravity but the restraining force exerted by the spokes linking rim to hub - at least until they fail!

I didn't say what the force towards the centre (centripetal force) was caused by, just that it exists, unlike the imaginary centrifugal force.

I suppose in the case of the earth orbiting the sun you would be correct to say the force towards the centre is gravitational attraction (though let's not get into exactly what that is!). In the case of a rotating wheel I would say that what stops bits of the wheel rim flying off at a tangent is not gravity but the restraining force exerted by the spokes linking rim to hub - at least until they fail!
How does any of this work, if the Earth is flat ?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

How does any of this work, if the Earth is flat ?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Something screwy going on with the quoting in this thread. I previously quoted ChazzyB's comment about "GRAVITY" and the quote above my reply got attributed to me. You have now quoted my reply to ChazzyB's comment about "GRAVITY" but that quote is attributed to ChazzyB instead of me?

As for how does any of this work if the earth is flat - then as the centripetal force is not due to "GRAVITY" then I don't think a flat earth would matter!

(When I previewed this post my name got inserted into the Tractors are go quote, just like the others, and I had to manually edit it out to get the quote to be properly attributed.)

You could not be more wrong. You could try, but you would fail.

Except it wasn't me who said that - just the quoting attribution on here seems to be screwed at the moment. Here is the original:

So please direct your comments to the actual author of that statement!

My original reply to ChazzyB's comment was:

"I didn't say what the force towards the centre (centripetal force) was caused by, just that it exists, unlike the imaginary centrifugal force.

I suppose in the case of the earth orbiting the sun you would be correct to say the force towards the centre is gravitational attraction (though let's not get into exactly what that is!). In the case of a rotating wheel I would say that what stops bits of the wheel rim flying off at a tangent is not gravity but the restraining force exerted by the spokes linking rim to hub - at least until they fail!"

I am just about to pick up a R1200GS for my missus, and I noticed this pin, can anyone tell me what it is for?

It's a rotation counter. When the tyres go flat, fill it with air and it'll carry on counting. It's the air that keeps it fuelled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom