Ok I need help with decision on new bike !!

Adventure Boy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I love my 2018 Africa Twin manual, its Farkled to the hilt and its probably the bike ive covered more miles on than any other in its first year, this is my 2nd one, the first one i bought when they first come out but then got tempted by the mighty MT10 so bought that then after a week sold it and bought a new S1000XR SE, that was a great bike but really wanted another GS so traded the XR for a 1250 GS Rallye Sport in April 2017

In September 2017 My Son in Law and me went on a weeks tour around Ireland he on his Africa Twin me on the GS I liked the GS but for me it really wasn't comfortable, the seat was like a modern day method of torture, during the week it was clear to see that the AT could do everything the GS did but it didnt have all the bells and whistles on it

Anyway when we returned I decided to trade the GS in for the AT ive got now, we are going to Wales for a week at the end of April and the buzz for me is to change the bike before the first trip of the year and get it all sorted and stuff fitted for the trip,

I narrowed my choice of next weapon to the following

1260 Multistrada Enduro
1290 Ktm Adventure S
Africa Twin Adventure Sport DCT
R1250 GS Rallye

The KTM is quite well equipped with all the bits but ive been advised by 2 prior riders against the bike for various issues, and the dealer back up is questionable at best I think thats now out

The Multistrada is an expensive bike but also got all the bits but on test ride was described by the dealer as fragile, and they seem to loose a lot of value as soon as the slightest modification if made by the manufacturer as its the latest model now !! and the dealer back up isnt anywhere near that of Honda or BMW

So that leaves the Africa Twin Adventure Sport DCT and The 1250GS The GS now has all the toys you could think of the Dash is simply a work of art the integrated nav is superb and the ability to control your music via the dash is just what I want, that coupled with electronic suspension, cornering ABS etc etc etc makes the BM very favourable in my choice for electronic aids although I do like the simplicity of the Honda I know the BM is about £6K more expensive but I have been offered a Zero mile unregistered bike at £15600 which is a decent saving over list, and now only £3600 over the AT

the residual value of the GS in my experience is better as well !!

If I bought the Africa Twin Id want to take all my bits off my existing one so threes no money to spend on it there but would then want
3 Pce Givi Dolomiti Panniers and top box £1000 would buy these for either bike
Tubeless wheels £2000 for the AT

I know these are not essentials but id want them and some other bits as I would need Crash bars if I bought the BM so haven't added stuff like that or Akrapovic can on either etc as thats a personal choice to buy

so come on guys let me know your thoughts I realise this is the Africa Twin section so its safe to say I may get a slightly biased opinion but if the cost of the new bike was not an issue what would you go for and why

Thanks for reading all that babble your comments will be warmly welcomed

Rob :thumb

Traded my 14 GSA in for a dct atas last Sept. Been more than happy with it. However today me and the Mrs. were going to have a ride out, opened the garage door to find the rear tyre flat. It's then you realise what a pain punctures are in tubes tyres.
I'm hoping a more road biased model comes out in the next couple of years, before I get a new one.
For 2 up it could really do with a stiffer spring in the rear, not the end of the world but something the BMW is ok with from the outset.

The ATAS DCT is a great bike.I sold my 1290R as I prefer the ATAS.
The DCT/motor of the bike is so much nicer than on the earlier bikes and the auto-blipper ,especially in manual mode of down changes is fantastic and very addictive.
Rumours out of an 1100 version next year probably with cruise etc.

JohnnyHalfEmpty, was that blasé,or too frothy, as your opinion is very important ? :rolleyes:

Only done 160 mile on this but it’s superb.
Did like my AT sport Dct but it was just a tad boring and was corroding badly at 3000 miles.
If it had a genuine 100 bhp at the tyre it would be perfect not 84 .

Attachments

• 2C85263C-18E0-46DD-A6C1-0B3391164823.jpeg
    2C85263C-18E0-46DD-A6C1-0B3391164823.jpeg
    149.9 KB · Views: 480
  • A4E35F58-81E1-41CD-95CB-57E523A334D3.jpg
    A4E35F58-81E1-41CD-95CB-57E523A334D3.jpg
    259.9 KB · Views: 503
The ATAS DCT is a great bike.I sold my 1290R as I prefer the ATAS.
The DCT/motor of the bike is so much nicer than on the earlier bikes and the auto-blipper ,especially in manual mode of down changes is fantastic and very addictive.
Rumours out of an 1100 version next year probably with cruise etc.

JohnnyHalfEmpty, was that blasé,or too frothy, as your opinion is very important ? :rolleyes:

Totally agree with you. The DCT was the main reason I changed. Hope you're right about the new one - tubeless and cruise and it'd be my next bike without doubt.

Totally agree with you. The DCT was the main reason I changed. Hope you're right about the new one - tubeless and cruise and it'd be my next bike without doubt.

I’ve stuck Alpinas on mine but will very likely upgrade to the new model if it’s worth doing .

You certainly like to ring the changes.

Do you actually want/need a big adventure bike. Many guys I know have seen the light & traded down to the class below & thoroughly enjoy the ride. Unless you take a pillion touring, the bigger bikes are a money pit, once farkled & with luggage systems. For instance, I still run a Super10 ES, but probably use my baby GS far more, aside from planned 2-up tours/trips.

Personally, in your shoes, I would probably go with the AT DCT. It's only those tube tyres that spoil the show since the facelift. Shaft is nice, but old tech chains work perfectly well.

You certainly like to ring the changes.

Do you actually want/need a big adventure bike. Many guys I know have seen the light & traded down to the class below & thoroughly enjoy the ride. Unless you take a pillion touring, the bigger bikes are a money pit, once farkled & with luggage systems. For instance, I still run a Super10 ES, but probably use my baby GS far more, aside from planned 2-up tours/trips.

Personally, in your shoes, I would probably go with the AT DCT. It's only those tube tyres that spoil the show since the facelift. Shaft is nice, but old tech chains work perfectly well.

Totally agree . I much prefer the 100 claimed bhp of the ATAS to the 160 of the 1290R.

Less is more

Cheers guys I do tour 2 up but find the AT does that quite well albeit the suspension is a tad soggy the ATAS is better so can only assume it will be better for that, I am into all the gadgets on the GS Hill hold and the wizz wheel etc

Im going to wait until November as thats when my Son In Laws pcp deal is up so he's At can go back and he can have mine and ill buy a new one its just which one !!

Yes Mark ive lost a fortune on bikes over the years
No JB i dont worry about it
Andrew bike looks lovely and i see your buying farkles for it already be interested to see your views on it
Arsey let me know if you sell those alpinas

Agree the Ducati's are a bit expensive and fragile but then KTM havent got a brilliant track record but wait till the big discounting season :augie , Honda are reliable if a little boring and although not a deal breaker the ATS is not rated for a topbox :blast I want one but cannot justify the extra for a bike which wont be that different or do the job better enough to justify the extra coin, even my local H dealer says not worth it.
You did like the Kwak 1000 versys and they have a new one but @£15k its too much, as much as i try to avoid saying it the GS / GSA is still the best alrounder and holds value like no other (poss Hardley). If it was just the seat on the rally change the seat on the 1250 ?

Cheers guys Den you are correct
I went out with the Mrs on the back today and went to BMW to have a look and a sit the HP colour bike really does it for me maybe because its almost an Africa Twin Copy LOL
the bike has got some really nice electronics on it and BMW really do well at making the bike feel like your back home on it so Ill probably book a test ride for a couple of weeks and take it out for a rip see what the new bike is like Id say unless the new Africa twin has some decent electronics on the next model then the BM will have the day, very surprisingly though the Price for the 1250 SE HP is £17300 I was offered a deal on a brand new un registered one for £15600 which I was a bit shocked about !! Ive never been offered a discount by BMW before the three year warranty is a bonus, well it would be if I ever kept a bike that long LOL

Traded my 14 GSA in for a dct atas last Sept. Been more than happy with it. However today me and the Mrs. were going to have a ride out, opened the garage door to find the rear tyre flat. It's then you realise what a pain punctures are in tubes tyres..

I agree with this however, at least a puncture only costs £20 for a new inner tube... as much a pain it takes to remove wheel and drive it to a tyre fitter.

I've had to buy whole new tyres in the past with a bad positioned puncture on tubeless tyres.

Swings and roundabouts I suppose.

But, for road touring you want tubeless definately.

Back
Top Bottom