Possible leaky rear shock?

ajd

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'd appreciate thoughts on an issue to help me diagnose it.

2011 R1200GS, 32000 miles. Bought last year, superb condition, service history. No probs last year. This year, for no apparent reason, drips of hydraulic oil (clear, so not engine oil) appearing underneath the rear shock lower mounting.

Bike kept in garage on centre stand, always check for drips before riding, clean as a whistle, no drips. But when I roll it onto the side stand before getting on baord and backing out of garage, it leaves a trail of drips down the path. Clutch and rear brake reservoirs not going down, all joints in cluch and brake lines are dry. However the ride seems bouncier than I remember, preload adjustment doesn't seem to make much difference but I've not really played with it.

So, sounds like leaking rear shock. Why would this suddently start after a Scottish winter in a cozy garage?!

Is it worth rebuilding? Replace with second hand standard version from Motorworks? Any other recommended options?

Thanks.

They tend to leak due to lack of use ...
Rubber seal goes hard over the time and simple drop from the centre stand after the winter break close the oil leak...
This is simple job and once is done it will be fine for very long time if the right quality seals are used
Other benefit over the used shock is the fresh oil
Öhlins and others recommend service every 15000 miles
f3c4d8bcf09b7e6bdecc47e6704843a4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Superb - thanks Denz0. I'm handy with the spanners so willing to give it a try but are service kits generally available and are there any guides to the seal and washer replacement job? Perhaps if I need to ask these questions I shouldn't be attempting it, mind you...

Superb - thanks Denz0. I'm handy with the spanners so willing to give it a try but are service kits generally available and are there any guides to the seal and washer replacement job? Perhaps if I need to ask these questions I shouldn't be attempting it, mind you...
The only problem for you will be gas recharge and getting the valve it self (you need to install one i the shock body )if you can take the spring off that's half of the job done !

I don't know your skill level, or the access you have to workshop facilities but I would urge you to proceed with caution. Attempting this job without the proper equipment could at best, ruin your shock, and at worst, cause you serious injury. Just my tuppence worth.

:thumby::thumby:

I don't know your skill level, or the access you have to workshop facilities but I would urge you to proceed with caution. Attempting this job without the proper equipment could at best, ruin your shock, and at worst, cause you serious injury. Just my tuppence worth.

:thumby::thumby:
You are right! proper equipment costed me over 1000$ I never have any doubts about someone abilities but shock could be tricky one wrong move and you can end up with broken finger or two ...
Just to makes things clear if you planning to do one shock it will cost more in parts and oil and waisted time but could give lots of satisfaction
If any one need professional advice I'm more then happy to help

OK I am persuaded. Contemplating replacing it with YSS or Wilbers anyway. I'm sure I'll be able to fit a new one without bother. There are lots of threads about YSS and Wilbers but while we're on the subject here...any points of view? Always glad to hear other people's thoughts...

Thanks everyone. I opted to go for a new replacement YSS shock, should arrive tomorrow.

leaking shock

I normally do that for about 100 but hey ho !

Ive just recently bought a 2007 r1200gs and now the rear shock has dumped its oil on the floor after only 7000 miles, are you in a position to rebuild this shock for me and at approximately what cost, thanks Kev

I had a leaking rear shock about 3 years ago and 50k+ miles. I was recommended MCT for a rebuild and sent both shocks off to them.

I can highly recommend MCT. They did a great job with no fuss for a good price in quick time.

I can't remember the exact price but it was approx £200 inc p&p a huge saving over replacement.

Rich:thumb2

Ive just recently bought a 2007 r1200gs and now the rear shock has dumped its oil on the floor after only 7000 miles, are you in a position to rebuild this shock for me and at approximately what cost, thanks Kev
No problem contact me on O7930 ll 2O5l or me thrue tapatalk message 2007 non esa would probably cost you 90

Useful to know Denz0, is this a hobby thing or do you do this for a living etc.
This is only a hobby now but I'm a master technician and really like working with suspension. This is great way to kill time and help people out as the suspension shops charge small fortune for that kind of work...
After all once you have all the tools and some knowledge it's a pretty easy job.

Most bike shocks are at end of life by 30K miles. Rebuilding sooner will save costs as internal parts will be in better condition.

For what it’s worth I have just replaced my original rear shock after 67,500 miles, it wasn’t leaking, the bike still handled well but when some one jumps on the back it sunk right down. I got a non esa YSS shock for about £300 plus fitting. Seems all good so far.

Back
Top Bottom