New clutch needed

Wizards-Online

Going Overground
Reaction score
Out for a ride today and all was going well as I clocked past 56,000 miles but on the way back home (riding a little harder than usual) the clutch started to slip in top.

I knew it was going to need doing at some point but could anyone give me a ballpark figure I should be expecting from a independent.

For info it's a 2003 R1150GSA.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Give yer man Steptoe a PM..not too far away from you and the job would be done right :thumb2

Not too far away? If he's in Norfolk I'd suggest a good three hours or so... each way

Out for a ride today and all was going well as I clocked past 56,000 miles but on the way back home (riding a little harder than usual) the clutch started to slip in top.

I knew it was going to need doing at some point but could anyone give me a ballpark figure I should be expecting from a independent.

For info it's a 2003 R1150GSA.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

About a grand.

Is it definitely clutch or could it be gear oil on Clutch of Clutch fluid on clutch

Depends on your mech abilities If you can take the starter out and look in there, clues are loadsof black dusty shready bits its likely the clutch oil wash likely a seal but you will have to split it to sort it anyway

11XX series are MUCH easier to do than the 1200 hexhead series

You can also talk to motorworks and other suppliers about used clutches I used to offer to do things this way for folks who were getting it tight on the proviso that they knew it was used and it was about £200 more for the new clutch assembly

I changed mine last year, it’s actually not that difficult just a matter of taking a lot of parts off and putting them back on again, it seems daunting at first, but if you have a garage to work in and the tools, just take your time and it can be done, I can’t remember the exact cost, but it was only a couple of hundred quid to do. The high cost of a dealer/garage is the labour element.

It's £550 to supply and fit a complete clutch kit on an 1150.

It's about £800ish on a 1200.

That’s a great price to supply and fit considering the time it takes, I’d bring my 1200 the 200 miles for you to do it :thumb2

Get an oil-proof Siebenrock clutch plate (with new pressure plates and spring). Highly recommended on R11xxGS bikes since the crankshaft seal on once side or gearbox input seal on another side can leak oil on those BMW models into (dry-) clutch chamber. Even a drop is enough to make your clutch slip and kill the original dry clutch material's properties forever. And even with an oil-proof clutch I recommend replacing the gearbox input seal while you're there.

Don't ask me how I know, I've learned this the hard way in Africa with a slippy clutch in Gabon. And was again saved with gearbox oil literally pouring into clutch chamber in Mauritania and the bike continued on with Siebenrock clutch plate no problems.

Seibenrock clutch lasts much longer than the original plate as well, so it's well worth it IMHO.

Just me 2c.

Back
Top Bottom