Auto ESA setting

Victor c

Reaction score
Been slowly getting the feeling I have been shrinking lately, as the stretch to the floor on my GSA has been getting more difficult. When it was new, I could flat foot it easily, but lately I have been ballancing it on tip toes.

Decided this morning to cycle it a couple times between min and max settings while sitting on it. Hey presto, back to normal height. It is as if it had lost its calibrated reference point. Bike has covered 1600 miles.

Anyone else had this issue?

Hey Victor I normally cycle mine every few months however, I never do it sitting on the bike, not sure if it makes a difference.

That and many other issues with that suspension - it’s the main reason I sold the bike and went back to a manually adjusted version.

Hope yours works out for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hey Victor I normally cycle mine every few months however, I never do it sitting on the bike, not sure if it makes a difference.
Will see how it is over the next couple of runs. If all ok, great. If not, will try unloaded.

That and many other issues with that suspension - it’s the main reason I sold the bike and went back to a manually adjusted version.

Hope yours works out for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

There is something to be said about old school. But then the ESA does gives many convenient advantages, especially when touring.

Will see how it is over the next couple of runs. If all ok, great. If not, will try unloaded.

I think it might just be the nature of the beast, setting itself in a comfort zone, I notice when I ride fully loaded and 2 up, I have my feet nice and flat, however, once bike unloaded and riding solo, with no panniers on the bike, and bike started without me on it, bike does raise quite high, if I start the bike when sitting on it, bike seems to stay a bit lower at the start, and obviously auto corrects itself during the ride, as this is what it is designed for I guess.

I just posted the other day on another thread how mine occasionally behaves the same way.
It will be prefect and I may load up the panniers and it adjusts for that but then when they are unloaded it doesn’t always recalibrate itself.
I usually, when it’s on the side stand so the adjuster motor has an easier time of it, set it to minimum and then back to auto before I ride off and it’s right as rain for a while again.
Also maybe twice I’ve caught the suspension doing a little dance on startup where it moved up and down before settling. I put it down to some self calibration

I just posted the other day on another thread how mine occasionally behaves the same way.
It will be prefect and I may load up the panniers and it adjusts for that but then when they are unloaded it doesn’t always recalibrate itself.
I usually, when it’s on the side stand so the adjuster motor has an easier time of it, set it to minimum and then back to auto before I ride off and it’s right as rain for a while again.
Also maybe twice I’ve caught the suspension doing a little dance on startup where it moved up and down before settling. I put it down to some self calibration

Mine was fine yesterday, so may just need regular cycling. Will see how it goes.

You have got the shock set to dynamic, it stiffens the suspension and adjusts it to the road conditions giving you the extra height. If you set it back to road it's softer. I'm a short arse and I set mine to auto and road.

You have got the shock set to dynamic, it stiffens the suspension and adjusts it to the road conditions giving you the extra height. If you set it back to road it's softer. I'm a short arse and I set mine to auto and road.

Tend to use both modes, just depends on the mood I’m in.

RTFM

Page 129 of operator manual. Every third fuel stop “With Dynamic ESA, adjust chassis and suspension”

There ya go. No explanation. But saves that silent moment when the dealer asks!

Page 129 of operator manual. Every third fuel stop “With Dynamic ESA, adjust chassis and suspension”

Oh. I should probably read that then. So by that then you need to occasionally set it it to min or max

Blimey , he's right you know - Page 103 of my manual. There's loads of things I should be doing at the 3rd fuel stop. I can just see the queue at Tesco's when I perform that lot once I've filled up

I’m an even more shortie and set mine to min and road, as advised by dealer. Works a treat.

Interesting - my 1250 manual on page 141 has one suspension item to attend to, but only for non-dynamic ESA bikes as follows:

"without Dynamic ESA - Adjuster for spring preload, rear"

All the rest of the every third fuel stop items are checking fluid levels and brake pads.

Does that mean GSA's don't need checking as often? :green gri

not yet. I weigh 90kg so not really a light weight. I would imagine that with panniers and top box I will need to set it in Auto.

Ta mate, I tried the Min setting and found it bottomed out to quick, 105kg when hitting bumps, I find Auto works great, however, it is nice to have it on Min when not to loaded up, and riding in areas where stopping on slopes happens often.

Back
Top Bottom