Wheel Paint Finish and Corrosion

RoyCropper

Reaction score
Morning all and here we go with my first post. sorry if it's in the wrong place:

I bought my first R1200GS TE last September from a BMW dealer. It's a premium approved used bike with 2 year BMW warranty on a 64 plate with just over 12k miles and a full dealer service history.

About 3 month ago I noticed that the paint is flaking off the rear wheel in several places and there are also "bubbles" of paint which look like they will eventually go the same way. These are on the inside of the wheels and are not around the rim where you could say it's from poor tyre fitting. The front wheel is OK and I assume fitted to the bike the same time as the rear. I've also noticed the top of the rear spring is corroding.

Has been to a dealer who have inspected it and sent off some pictures to BMW who have rejected a warranty claim as they believe its occurred from the bike not being looked after. What I would like to know is:

- Has anyone seen this sort of thing before
- Should this be happening as I though these paint finished are quite durable
- Is there any "abuse" that an average rider could do to result in this sort of thing happening

I understand that the warranty on a used bike is not like the manufacturer warranty that comes with a new bike and I wasn't expecting a mint machine. These are a premium bike with a price tag to match so am I being unreasonable in expecting better?

Bike is awesome BTW!
Cheers in advance
Neil.

Think they are powder coated, well mine are, get them done yourself, not a lot to do, but could be without the bike for a couple of days🤔

If your wheels have corroded then an inspection of the engine and final drive will probably reveal that they've gone the same way too :blast

Its a pain in the arse, mine were going the same , but luckily the dealer scratched the hell out them changing my tyres so got new ones. They are a grand a piece btw. Also, apparently they are wild to rebuild/lace so splitting them for powder is a nightmare?

I have just had my final drive, swinging arm, rear subframe, centre stand and side stand replaced under warranty on a 2018 GSA. I had the tubular steel items powered coated at the suggestion of Allan Jefferies BMW before they were fitted.

Back
Top Bottom