5 days in Norway

Tent?

Hi Short 1, Crackin route you've got there! Tent? Got myself a Vango Hydra 200+ It's a good tent and I canna fault it!Stood up to all sorts of crappy weather on my travels!

On a wee side note what spares are you guys carrying? Or do you have BM warranty/emergency cover?

This is what I've got
Electric compressor, Hand pump, puncture repair kit, 2 inner tubes, tyre levers, spare glue and patches, spare bulbs, spare fuses, wire, connectors,relays, assorted stainless nuts and bolts for lots of things,tape, loads of zip ties, straps, superglue, silicone stuff, spare front and rear spokes with nipples, five of each, brake lever, clutch lever, first aid kit, small torch, tow rope, assorted extra tools in the toolkit, including torx keys smaller allen keys, wire snips and pliers. Oh and spare pannier hinges!!ADV topbox!!

I think thats about it but there is other stuff but I can't remember what! I might never need some of this stuff but who knows!

Anything I've forgotten? :D

More spares!

Forgot the rear brakepads, oil filler cap and two spare spark plugs and gear and diff oil plugs incase the stainless ones fall out.Oh and some engine oil in a wee bottle! :D

Oh and also a wee plastic funnel and some clear hose and I think that must be about it now! It's really hard trying to think what you may need on your travels away and theres only so much spare space under the seat I may have overdone it a bit but I'm sure there are others who carry more. If there are two of you then you can always split spares between you to lighten the load a bit!

The main things to take are I suppose a sense of adventure and of course a sense of humour and you'll always make it through in the end!!

The rest of the route Kristiansand - Lysebotn - Voss - Geiranger - Fagernes - Oslo.

Day 5, Wednesday, from Fagernes to Oslo / Fjordcamp / Tyrigrava.
:)
From Fagernes, E16, Aurdal, Bagn (Begndalen), Nes.
(8 km after Nes. E16; if you turn east here, you can ride from the lake Sperillen to the lake Randsfjorden, and close to Randsfjorden you'll find Bjoneroa - somewhere deep in the forest here there are a meeting in February; Primustreffet! You may ride here now, and ride Rv.245 to Jevnaker, and you are back on track!)
If you want to continiue from Nes;
ride E16 to Hønefoss, and find a road nort-east, Rv.35 to Jevnaker, and about 15 kilometres after Jevnaker you turn south at Rv.4, and after about 40 kilometres, right after a thunnel; (I live just around the corner from here!)turn left at Rv.22 for 4 kilometres, and you'll see the motorway (speed limit 100km/h!!!), find direction south / Oslo (not Gardermoen!), at E6.
This is a toll road, but motorbikes are free, so when you see the toll place, keep left and pass under a blue sign, as most cars do, and then keep left and follow Rv.190, and two thunnels, and keep right inside the last thunnel.
After the thunnels you can see boats on you left, and you need to go in the opposite direction :eek: and you do that like this:
Keep right after thunnel, follow sign Rv.4 up (up!) to a roundabout, then turn left just before the roundabout - almost inside the roundabout - there is a sign E18 Moss and Gøteborg or Stokholm, and now you are riding in the opposite direction! No danger, legal!
Now you see the fjord on your right.
Follow E18 south, with the fjord on your right, and follow E18 for 8 kilometres - then turn right when you see the sign ''Fjordcamp Ingierstrand'', and then there is a roundabout and turn right here - now you can see Fjordcamp, and now you are at Old Mosseroad / Gamle Mossevei.
This is tarmac, and if you pass Fjordcamp and ride for 4 kilomtres you'll see a sign in a turn; ''Tyrigrava - Boot Hill'' - now you can see Tyrigrava!

If the last part feels difficult, I know a route, but then you won't see the fjord:
After the toll place; keep right, follow sign E6, and and follow sign ''Fjordcamp'' after 10 kilometres, and you'll find it.

Total from fagernes to Tyrigrava: 215 kilometres, I believe.

Tyrigrava got food, but while all the bikes are there (if there are not raining!) the staff do not make dinner, but if you get there before 0500pm or wait, 0800pm (I guess) then they can make you dinner.
But you can get coffie or Coke and an icecream!

And I'll be there!
This is how I look, and this is at Tyrigrava: www.clubscarver.com

:) Liv.

Spares

chris neil said:
Hi Short 1, Crackin route you've got there! Tent? Got myself a Vango Hydra 200+ It's a good tent and I canna fault it!Stood up to all sorts of crappy weather on my travels!

On a wee side note what spares are you guys carrying? Or do you have BM warranty/emergency cover?

This is what I've got
Electric compressor, Hand pump, puncture repair kit, 2 inner tubes, tyre levers, spare glue and patches, spare bulbs, spare fuses, wire, connectors,relays, assorted stainless nuts and bolts for lots of things,tape, loads of zip ties, straps, superglue, silicone stuff, spare front and rear spokes with nipples, five of each, brake lever, clutch lever, first aid kit, small torch, tow rope, assorted extra tools in the toolkit, including torx keys smaller allen keys, wire snips and pliers. Oh and spare pannier hinges!!ADV topbox!!

I think thats about it but there is other stuff but I can't remember what! I might never need some of this stuff but who knows!

Anything I've forgotten? :D

I cant wait for me and Short001 to get going on this trip but did not even think about any of this stuff.....

Need to re-assess

Macca

Thanks Liv for all your work to. :clap

The Route

Thanks again Liv,
I now have all my maps, and have started plotting the route. It looks like it will be great fun :D
Again I can't thank you enough for the time you have spent on it for us.
This may sound stupid, but I was shocked by the amount of water in Norway. My map is just full of the blue stuff.
I hope that the weather is on our side and it stays dry for the trip, as they don't make squaddies like they used to, and we can't hack the rain :(
I will let you know of our dates once we have booked.
We can't book too far in advance as we never know what is happening in our life, and we could be going back to Iraq, or even Afghanistan. :eek:

Lysebotn.

I'm glad you like the route!
Here is a little about Lysebotn:

A map:
http://www.gulesider.no/gsi/map.c?p...6175&zoom=2&tool=zoom&scrollX=200&scrollY=240
In the east you can see some of the road Rv.9, and you can see the thin & and fun road you are going to ride.

A map:
http://kart.eniro.no/query?what=map...e=&match_street=&cityarea=&parking=&delivery=
And here is Lysebotn!

Down there is a campsite:
http://www.lysebotn-touristcamp.com/
I saw a campsite when I was there, and I'm 99% sure this is the one.
If not, try this:
http://www.nettkatalogen.no/infopage/lysebotn_turistsenter_as/1928860612.htm
Lysebotten Turistsenter AS
Bergkleiva 6, 41110 Forsand.
Tel: +47 51 70 34 90.
Contac person; Ivar Malvin Idsø.
(Ø = OE, ø = oe.)
-Or is those two the same place?
Well, I'm sure one of those is the one I saw, and that is between the funny road and the fjord, down there.

And there is a B&B:
http://www.lysegard.com/
This is not expencive compare to the hytter (cabins) at the campsite, and there is food too!
(I'm not sure about food at the campsite, but they usually have something.)

If you want to take the boat from Lysebotn to Stavanger, or the other way:
(This is not in my route, but I have done it - it is lovely in good weather!)
http://www.stavangerske.no/
Click at ''Lysefjord Sighseeing'' to the right, and get the time table.
Veteran Fjord Cruise, booking@vfc.no Tlf. +47 51 86 87 88.
In the period 01/06 - 27/08, the boat are leaving Fiskepirterminalen in Stavanger kl. 10.00 am, and it arrives Lysebotn kl.02.00 pm, and it are leaving Lysebotn kl.03.00 pm, and it arrives Stavanger again kl.19.00 pm.
Cost:
MC kr. 260,-
Person. kr.160,-

The place I called Ørneredet / The Eagles Nest - the real name is Øygardstølen, and the view from there is great - you can see down to the hairpins that you are going to ride.
..perhaps you better not look at the view... ;)

Fill pertol before you leave the Rv.9:
There was petrol in Lysebotn when I was there, but we had to call for a lady - she was home, and she was running up to the pump and wrote how much we need. Don't count on that pump - is not really a gas station. But it is behind the second building when I rode from the boat.

Have fun! :)
Liv.

Liv said:
I'm glad you like the route!
Here is a little about Lysebotn:

And here is Lysebotn!

And there is a B&B:
http://www.lysegard.com/
This is not expencive compare to the hytter (cabins) at the campsite, and there is food too!

Have fun! :)
Liv.

I e-mailed the B&B, to kjellys@online.no and he told me motorbikes are welcome! And he said the brakfast is weeeeery good!
And he told me it is wery quiet there... Perhaps you see some wild animals?
And he gave me his mobile number: +47 98 88 77 38.
I think you better give him a call before you arrive, so you know if there are a room avaible.

chris neil said:
One of the most amazing thing about Norway is the Tunnels, they are everywhere and up to 15 or 16 miles long, some corkscrew others are deep, some are nice and light others are dark and scary... :D
...and here is inside one; Lærdalstunnelen, 24,5 kilometres!

Attachments

• Lærdalstunnelen, inni med en F GS.jpg
    Lærdalstunnelen, inni med en F GS.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 606
The road to Lysebotn Fjord and Eagles Nest is amassing, probably one of the best roads I’ve ever ridden, take your time and enjoy it
Lysebotn_road_information_pointv2.jpg

The road down to Lysebotn Fjord from Eagles Nest Cafe
Lysebotn_road.jpg

The tunnels can be quite shocking, We went through a long tunnel under the sea just north of Stavanger on the e39, it went straight down under the sea for a couple of miles, It was so deep, I’m sure my ears popped! :)

Cheers for the pictures, they look great. Can't wait until 25th May when we will finally be on out way

CANCEL CANCEL CANCEL

I am very sorry to say that I am now not going on the Norway Trip :( (this year anyway!)
I have just had my marching orders and I'm off to Iraq (again) instead. :eek: I would like to thank everyone, especially Liv, for all the help and advice that you have given. It will not go to waste as I will be going next summer when I'm back.
All the best,
Dave

:( .
I'm so sorry. Really sorry! :(
Troubles in a country far, far away from fjords and hairpin roads are going to stop you... Damn!
Write a letter to Bush and Condoleeza and tell them it's not fair!!
...but it won't help... it's not that simple down there, I know.

Well, let's hope you get up here next summer, then!
Let's hope we have a :beer: or two then!

Take care down there - it's no kindergarden, I have heard.

Hugs from a viking on a Scarver; Liv. :)

Thanks for this route advice!

I hope the information you gave about this route is still good as we hope to follow the majority of it over the next week. will be arriving in Kristiansand on sunday evening. Just the final few things to go into the panniers and we are off tomorrow!

I am like an excited little boy right now waiting for my first real road trip on the bike!

Six years of planning, that is impressive! Welcome, hope it warms up a little again. Last week was great, but now you should kit out for cold, wet and nasty.

Back
Top Bottom