Namibia – July 2006 anyone?

Fandango

Bike now, work later
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Is anyone else going on the Africa Unlimited Safaris “Highlights of Namibia” organised tour starting from Windhoek on 7th July 2006 (leaving the UK 6th July) or do you fancy joining me?

It’s the organised 13 day ride around Namibia run by http://www.africansafaris.co.za/motorcycletours.html

It’s the same one listed as “BMW Motorcycle tour Highlights of Namibia” at http://www.africaguide.com/travel/index.php?cmd=5&pid=1190&client_currency=GBP

But I’ve booked mine through a UK agent called The Mighty Fine Company http://www.mightyfinecompany.com/holiday_details.asp?HolidayID=121

If you are, you might want to consider doing what I’ve done with the flights as it worked out cheaper. I’ve booked the flights to fly out one day earlier (5th July) and fly back one day later (20th July). I know this sounds mad but doing that has meant that even with paying for two extra days in a hotel, I’ve got direct flights to Windhoek and back to London and still saved enough money to offset my upgrade from the F650GS they give you as a standard part of the package to the R1200GS.

If you’ve already booked or you fancy coming and want the details of the cheaper flights etc let me know and I’ll give you the flight numbers etc or put you in touch with the lady who helped me sort it all out.

P.S. Namibia will be a new place (as is all of Southern Africa). Has anyone who’s been there before got any tips? The route I’m doing takes in Windhoek, Swakopmund, Twyfelfontein, Sesfontein, Kamanjab, Etosha, Otjiwarongo etc and any hints on what to look for or maybe even avoid would be welcome.

Fandango said:
Namibia will be a new place (as is all of Southern Africa). Has anyone who’s been there before got any tips? The route I’m doing takes in Windhoek, Swakopmund, Twyfelfontein, Sesfontein, Kamanjab, Etosha, Otjiwarongo etc and any hints on what to look for or maybe even avoid would be welcome.

No info from me. Should be there around Feb 07. There are some trip reports over on HU. Good luck .. and do a trip report .. so I can benifit from your experience?
:bounce1 Good Luck.

Edit - Ahh 3 time poster - may not know of HU - see http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/ click on teh left side - trip reports and scroll down to Africa.

Fandango...depending on the routes they'll take, I'd seriously consider staying on the 650.......might do a better /easier job on sandy routes???

Enjoy it though...sounds like a good trip :thumb

Thanks Frank,
I've already been to HU (and others) but I missed the reports you've mention.. I'll check it out again.
I'll have a good go at keeping a diary and try to do a report when I get back. Good luck with your own trip
(P.S I might only be a 3 poster but I've been around a for while, first in the BM owners then here... I'm just more the quiet type who pays the money and looks in to get the updates on what's going on. It keeps me happy :eek:)

Cheers Fanum
I thought about sticking with the 650 as I used to love riding my old Funduro around, but then I figured I'd go with what's more like I've grown used to (1150) and anyway, no pain, no gain (ask me that again after the 20th time I've lifted it out of the sand in half an hour)

Fandango said:
P.S. Namibia will be a new place (as is all of Southern Africa). Has anyone who’s been there before got any tips? The route I’m doing takes in Windhoek, Swakopmund, Twyfelfontein, Sesfontein, Kamanjab, Etosha, Otjiwarongo etc and any hints on what to look for or maybe even avoid would be welcome.

i spent a bit of time there many moons ago (on a zzr) when it was still south west africa - saw the itinerary you doing, you will have an amazing trip. i think you have done well in upgrading to the 1200gs, the gravel roads are pretty hard for the most parts so you should not have any problems and your lugguage is in the backup vehicle so it will be blast on the bike, those two weeks will fly by and am sure you will be back for more soon after...

Thanks Unshift
July seems like a long time away but I'm counting down the days. Once I get to Namibia however I'll be doing my best to drag those two weeks out to make them seem as long as possible :thumb

Hi Fandango,
Namibia is Gods own country for offroad bikes your tour looks good you will find most of your riding will be done on gravel with the odd sandy spot. You will find that the daytime temps can get very high even though it is in the cooler time of the year, but the evenings will get cold so take some warm gear with. You will enjoy your trip and I bet you will want to return there. Regards Mark

Cheers Mark
I've been thinking a lot about what the right sort of clothing is going to be and your advice will help me loads :)
My plan is a lighter (but good jacket) with loads of vents plus a nice load of layer for the when the temp drops. I figure I can always add or remove a layer or the jacket to adjust.
That's what I love about UKGS'er, top advice from a rider (comparatively) local to where I going :thumb

Many thanks

Looks like a hell of a place to go biking :thumb
I can't tell from their website what extent of the trip is non-apshalt roads. Given that they offer an RT as a choice of bike I don't expect they will be all gravel and sand as our friend in Cape Town suggests. Do you have any details of the degree of off road riding involved ?

Hi Gecko and Fandango,
As the website shows there is approximately 80% of good gravel roads, there are as hell of a lot of gravel roads in Namibia, most in good condition they are graded regularly. The tar roads are in good condition in general not as wide as our South African Roads but good.
As a long distance HGV driver I travelled quite extensively in Nambia
the drivers are very aware and you will find that most of the drivers wiil give you a short flash of right indicator to show you the road is clear for overtaking but still make sure before commiting. Remeber that most of the HGV rigs both here and in Nambia are what are called links thay are 22m in length, also beware do not follow too close behind these rigs on gravel,apart from the dust the double tyres tend to throw some stones in the air. The odd stone may get past the stone flaps, fortunately there are not too many of them on the gravel roads.
If you keep a sharp lookout while riding you will often see buck and warthogs alongside the road especially in the early morning and evening. Fandango the gear you propose to take should be good layering will be a good idea. Regards Mark

Thanks again Mark.
Valuable advised that I'm very please to receive. A friend of mine drove the kind of trucks you call links he lived in Australia but it hadn't occurred to me that they'd also be in Africa (don't know why because it makes sense to use them on such big runs). If you happen to be shifting a load through Namibia in July watch out for the little lost motorbike rider scratching his head and holding the map upside down... that'll be me :D

Geko
If you take another look at the http://www.africansafaris.co.za/motorcycletours.html site and click on prices you should spot that the RT is "not applicable" on the 13 day Namibia trip because as Mark P says it 80% non tarmac.

Dust

DUST Is your biggest enemy,especially when you come up behind a 4 wheeler or bigger.It is so difficult to see ahead to overtake--be careful.
Also you can get carried away & ride too fast.There are big dips in the roads which if taken at speed will leave you airborne.At midday these dips are almost impossible to see until you are on to them--they are usually upto 50 yards across & 30 feet deep.Said to be drainage dips.
Have fun.

Thanks Dot250
I've got a collection of scarves sorted out so I can have one handy to pull up to try to stop myself eating the entire desert in one mouthful.
Top tip about the drainage ditches, in all my research I've not seen them mentioned so I'm grateful for the heads up :thumb

Now all I have to do is combine a swift midday over take of dust billowing 22m truck with a massive crater and I'll really have a story to report back with... if I make it :D

Back
Top Bottom