Achill Island recce

Aidan1150

Nice but unfortunate husband.
Mod Squad
Reaction score
Jockser, Sugarcube and myself went over to Achill Island this weekend to recce a rideout route for the UKGSer event at the end of July.

Jockser had arranged B&B in Newport, Co. Mayo which is about 20 miles from Achill so we arranged to meet there. After I met up with Sugarcube in Augher, Co. Tyrone at 8am Saturday morning we stopped at Clancys in Glenfarne which is halfway between Enniskillen and Sligo for the breakfast. €8.50 for a pretty good brekkie and we were away again.

a1.jpg

We had a good quick run over to Newport on some great twisty roads, but after meeting up with Jockser and on the way to Achill the rain started with a vengence. Low cloud, blustery winds and heavy rain made it a tedious day out.

Jockser didn't seem too bothered though.....
a2.jpg

a3.jpg

The clouds were pretty low.
a4.jpg

At 5pm we decided that we'd had enough and returned to Newport and the B&B. The forecast for Sunday was more promising so we headed out for a meal and a few drinks.

As promised Sunday morning was bright and dry so we headed off back to Achill again. Before reaching the island we turned off towards Corraun on the coast road which offers some fine views of Clare and Achillbeg Islands.
a6.jpg

Jockser and Sugarcube seemed more interested in playing offroad though. According to them, they were looking for interesting tracks for visiting Tossers to ride. :nono :rolleyes:
a7.jpg

I'm not into the offroad stuff myself, but despite my better judgement I followed the other two up a mountain track at Bunanloo which heads up onto the 524m high Corraun Hill.

After about 1km up the track I decided that I had reached my limit and turned to come back down. The other two carried on for another 600m or so before turning as the track was very wet and slippery and was getting much more steep.

Although I did not particularily enjoy the experience, the view was worth the effort.
a11.jpg

a9.jpg

a10.jpg

Sugarcube and Jockser coming back down the track.
a12.jpg

a13.jpg

Ah, the joy of being back on tarmac.
a14.jpg

Caution, objects in the mirror may appear smaller than they really are. :dabone :D
a8.jpg

Next we headed on out to the Island itself and set off round the south coast towards Cloughmore and on to Dooega.
a15.jpg

We spotted a road up to the transmitters atop Menawn mountain and took a wee run up. The views of the island from the summit are breathtaking.
a16.jpg

It is tarmac right to the top, but there are also some rocky tracks leading further up the mountain. Sugarcube did pretty well before dropping his bike when the stones were too wet and slippy to continue.
a17.jpg

On the way back down the bike got bogged down in the soft peat.
a18.jpg

But at least he picked a scenic spot to do it. :)
a19.jpg

a20.jpg

The road back down from the top of Menawn.
a21.jpg

After 4 or 5 hours on Achill it came time time to head for home. Sugarcube and I split from Jockser in Castlebar stopping only at Benbulben near Sligo for a smoke.
a22.jpg

A great weekend out with two of the finest Tossers. Thanks lads. :thumb :clap

For those of you coming over to the weekend on Achill, I hope this post has given you a wee idea of what to expect.

:rolleyes: What a bloody awful place......looks horrid, I'm not looking forwards to it at all ;) :rolleyes:

:D :D :D

Roll On Achill!!! :thumb

Some great shots and excellent scenery Aidan, looks like you guys are goin to have a ball :beerjug:

Nice pics, did you find a fish and chip shop near a harbour by a beech?

Whatton said:
Nice pics, did you find a fish and chip shop near a harbour by a beech?

Plenty of wee piers Kevin, some even had a small beach alongside, but fish & chip shops were in short supply.

A couple of hours would run you up to Portsalon to relive the dream though. :D

A Canon Powershot A410 Paul, great little camera. :thumb

I got it on Amazon for around £90 if I remember correctly. :nenau

I usually have it on max picture resolution and have a 512 SD card in it, so can take just over 300 photos. Not bad results from a complete photo amateur. Just shows what a good camera can do. :D

The weather on Saturday afternoon certainly wasn't the nicest :(

But the ride up on Sat morning and all of Achill & home on Sunday made up for it :D :D

Two soggy tossers :
(have lots more pics on the camera but I can't find the fcukin' lead to connect it to the fcukin' PC :spitfire )

Attachments

• Achill 1.jpg
    Achill 1.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 301
Looks like nice rideout was had.

I love the colour of UK's grass, it's the same everywhere where hills are (at least Peak District and Wales that i've seen), didn't know it's the same in Irelend, fantastic:

a20.jpg

Gotta do a circle around the UK and Ireland islands with ma bike someday too :thumb

Cheers, Margus :beerjug:

I didn't take too many photos as the lads took plenty and also the fact that my battery was close to dead.

Image-D2002F86D3C711DA.jpg

Can't remember where this was.... sorry!

Image-D1FFE206D3C711DA.jpg

The view from the little bit of off roading we did.

Image-D2000894D3C711DA.jpg

The Deserted Village on Achill Island is another place that we will be stopping.

Image-D2001D3ED3C711DA.jpg

Yo yo yo homeboy.

Achill

Hi Aiden

Some nice photo's, is there an alternative route plannned for those who may not wish/or who's bike (i.e.mine) is not suitable for such ventures
should I turn up.

Schultz (Previously known as Klinger)

Schultz said:
Hi Aiden

Some nice photo's, is there an alternative route plannned for those who may not wish/or who's bike (i.e.mine) is not suitable for such ventures
should I turn up.

Schultz (Previously known as Klinger)

Hey Schultz,

If the weather is good and dry for a few days before (I will be there for a few days before the event), there will maybe some off roading but that will only for people who want to do it. They will be able to catch up with the main group at the next or second next rendevous point.

The roads are perfectly OK for any bike that is going. Nothing to worry about :thumb .

Sugarcube said:
Can't remember where this was.... sorry!

Granuaile's Tower, Cloughmore on the southern tip of the island. She's also known as the 'Pirate Queen of Clare Island' !!!

Sugarcube - that second photo is great (damn smilies aren't workin' for me again)

Hi Sugarcube

Thank's for the reply still not sure whether I'll get down for it but I'll let you know, may be two up if I do as my touring Pal may be on holiday at that time not sure of his dates.

S

Like a comment about the broken track ..... but please note that that is actually a motorway class thorough fare on achill!!!!!!!!!! looks like you had good fun...... keep up the excellent posts.

Great pics guys, looks like a good spot, proper GS country :) !!

t

Back
Top Bottom