Norway Norway Norway!

It is not a legal requirement to use winter tyres, but to "ensure sufficient grip". I would not dare to ride on rock hard summer tyres in February. You will for sure have snow and ice at the rally. You can use studded tyres here throughout the winter, even if Oslo and the main roads is covered in a miserable grey salt slush. (There is a tax for cars, but not for bikes.) The problem is that you cannot ride through Germany with studded tyres, and you should not expect to find a pair at the nearest shop. You could try here: http://www.snellingen.no.

Never seen anyone use snow chains. This is how another participant has prepared:

12390826_1648775632051329_9081708464546668152_n.jpg

Fabulous video - thank you. Just the right length! However I feel you're doing yourself down by calling yourself a Slutt at the end...

Norway has been at the top of my list of places to tour on the bike for many years - it's a case of JFDI...

Thanks again

June 2016

I am planning to go to the Nordkapp for the summer solstice June 21. Are there any tent camping areas there? What is the average temperature there then? How about mosquitos are they bad?

Bernie

I was there in 2007 and camped all the way there and back. You can camp, free, right at Nordcapp and walk into the visitor centre. Norway is extremely expensive everywhere for everything. I went up the west side, across the top (Sami country) into Sweden and Finland then headed south and also camped at the southern end of a Swedish lake. Wild camping is fine so long as you are (I think) at least 200 metres from a building; so along from a gas station would be fine. Gorgeous scenery and you can buy a reindeer skin form traders at the side of the road up north. Remember, Nordkapp is about 700 miles NORTH of the Artic circle. Liv, on this site, is the font of all Norway knowledge. Enjoy!

norway

I was there last year for the solstice and it was cold. Very cold. And very windy.
As already said wild camping is fine and there is lots of it.
We mixed it with stopping in cabins.
Will you be alone or with others? A cabin shared between three or four works out quite cheap.
I would recommend the lofoton islands as a must do either on the way up or down truly stunning.
We also crossed into sami/lapland at the top then south but it was a bit boring compared to Norway
so headed back into Norway at Narvik and onto the lofotons.
Hope that helps.
If you want more info drop me a pm with your phone number.
Paul.

The Lofoten islands are well worth A visit , we were quite luck with the weather and went on the return leg from the "KAPP" the scenery is simply stunning :thumb2

I was there in 2007 .... Norway is extremely expensive everywhere for everything.
2007 is nine years ago. This simply is not true anymore so please stop saying it! Since December 2014, the NOK has dropped some 30% vs GBP. Stay away from the worst tourist traps, and you'll find that it is more or less like home, except for a beer.

2007 is nine years ago. This simply is not true anymore so please stop saying it! Since December 2014, the NOK has dropped some 30% vs GBP. Stay away from the worst tourist traps, and you'll find that it is more or less like home, except for a beer.

Thanks for the update!

This is such a huge thread I started at the last and worked backwards to find ferry info from UK.
I heard the ferry isn't running any more ?
How does everyone get there with the best use of time v cost?

Ferry from Lysebotn to Stavanger

Heading over to Norway in June, does anyone know if it possible to book a ferry from Lysebotn to Stavanger in advance ? I have trawled Google to no avail.

Heading over to Norway in June, does anyone know if it possible to book a ferry from Lysebotn to Stavanger in advance ? I have trawled Google to no avail.

"The ferry on the route is MS Lysefjord, a combined passenger and cargo catamaran with limited capacity. Places for cars or other vehicles must be booked in advance on bestilling.kolumbus.no the day before travel. Further information (not telephone bookings of vehicle places) is available on telephone number 177. If you are calling from abroad the number is +47 51 92 52 00" :

https://www.kolumbus.no/globalassets/ruter/baatruter/stavanger-lysebotn-kombibat.pdf

Welcome to Norway

Thanks, I am now contemplating staying somewhere near Rysstand for a couple of nights, getting the ferry to Forsand and riding back to Rysstand if that is feasible. Then roughly following Liv's 5 day route.

Back
Top Bottom