How to do; Outside fuel filter

Steptoe

What a waste.
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Tank was low and i had bit of spare time, so i mounted my fuel filter outside of my fuel tank, simple job, just trying to find best place to locate the filter.

I'll leave it behind the plastic panel for now.

Attachments

• imag0004.jpg
    imag0004.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 8,681
-- i mounted it downstream of the Q/D , so i can change the filter with a full tank of fuel without losing a drop .

Attachments

• imag0008.jpg
    imag0008.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 6,126
just replace the filter and these two pieces of hose with a single section inside the tank .

Attachments

• imag0018.jpg
    imag0018.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 5,928
Just a question, Steptoe......

Doesn't the filter normally stop debris entering the fuel pump as well as protecting the injectors? I can't remember the order of things in the tank.

Sounds a great idea, otherwise.

:)

On my RT I put the filter under the intake tube (rt side) more protected from road debris (stones etc.) and clamped it to the steel brake lines running parelle along the transmission. I cut a piece of innertube and wrapped it around the filter so there would not be a metal to metal rubbing. I'll try and post a picture.

Paul Young said:
Just a question, Steptoe......

Doesn't the filter normally stop debris entering the fuel pump as well as protecting the injectors? I can't remember the order of things in the tank.

Sounds a great idea, otherwise.

:)

the filter is situated on the pump outlet, the pump has a mesh filter that is good at stopping branches and other flotsam you get in petrol nowdays .

:D

Cheers for clearing that up. I couldn't figure it out from the diagrams I have.

I had an R80GS which started suffering fuel starvation so I checked the carbs, etc & eventually started checking the fuel lines right back to the tank. I eventually found the cause to be paint flakes from the inside of the tank which had clogged around the gauze filters to the point where they wouldn't allow enough petrol through.

Now, I'm paranoid about it happening again & burning out the pump.

external fuel filter on RT
site1035_t.jpg

Steptoe said:
-- i mounted it downstream of the Q/D , so i can change the filter with a full tank of fuel without losing a drop .

great idea. a couple of thoughts though:

how do you get to the QD right up under the tank?

and

anyone contemplating copying this, be wary of the type of fuel pipe you use for the filter bypass in the tank. some types of pipe are only petrol resistant on the inside & will fall to bits very quickly if they get petrol on the outer layers.

should be injector rated pipe too.

i'm sure you know that though ;)

cookie said:
how do you get to the QD right up under the tank?

its got some slack in it, i just tucked it up out of the way for now, while i try and find somewhere "esthetic" to locate it.

:D :D

I used a piece of copper tubing in place of the fuel filter in the tank. If it is ever to be replaced back to new/original, all that has to be done is remove the copper tube and in stall the filter, and shorten the exterior fuel hose.
The external filter is after the fuel disconnects. Tank fuel won't leak when the filter is to be removed and changed.
Sorry the picture isn't bigger....

Moved it to here now, fits/looks tidier

Attachments

• imag0005.jpg
    imag0005.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 6,070
I just read on another thread that Steptoe went back to OE fuel filter placement? What was the reason? An external fuel filter makes more sense, no?

i can't remember why Steptoe moved his back but i couldn't find at the time any fuel pipe that wouldn't crack and split on the bend of the pipe which was being exposed to the elements.

i can't remember why Steptoe moved his back but i couldn't find at the time any fuel pipe that wouldn't crack and split on the bend of the pipe which was being exposed to the elements.

My fuel pump has been much noisier since the filter has been outside.

Not sure if it's a sign that it's packing up? I'm getting it changed soon anyway, so we'll see.

Back
Top Bottom