My first service cost me £250.00 from BMW Park Lane - it seems rather pricey to me

mrTickle

Reaction score
... what do you reckon?

I enquired about the cost and was told that it's 2 1/2 hours labour plus parts. They've told me the valve clearances were checked & the diagnostics machine plugged into it blah blah blah. It only needed a new filter & oil in my book. I didn't buy the bike from them so knew I'd be paying for it - but not through the nose

I've owned my Adventure for 3 1/2 years now and the only service it's had by BMW, was it's free ( at the time ) first service. I did all the scheduled servicing on it myself and it's never skipped a beat.

If my first basic service for the HP is £ 250, there's no way I'm laying out for anymore... it'll skint me :confused: .

In fact if I work it out, the money I've save by servicing my Adventure myself ( it's done 40 000 miles ) say 6 x £ 250.00 = £ 1 500.00 means if ever I sell it, I can sell it for a cheaper price and not lose out.

Does seem steep cos the only bit of spannering needed,bar oil and a look over, is to re-torque the heads which would lead to resetting valve clearances.

London prices?

Mine was free,are you sure it wasn't meant to be free for you as well.I thought that all Mbw prices included the first service!

I've got to go to BVM tomorrow,I'll ask what the lowdown is on it all

If that was the first 600 mile service, then the labour is free. All you should have paid for was oil and filter. I would complain to BMW at Bracknel as well as the service manager at the Dealer you had it serviced at.

When I had mine serviced at the Dealer I purchased it from, the whole lot was free though. :thumb

I took mine back recently for the software update and other recall work, which was a tyre size sticker and the bash plate mod. Was in the workshop for about an hour, still no charge.

:-O

I reckon you was robbed mate. Interesting to see if they come back and respond via the forum. Cahnts....

From a recent quote I had, Park Lane charge £78 per hour + VAT compared with SBW (Sawbridgeworth) at £48 per hour + VAT for labour

Bill breaks down as follows:-

Labour: 157.08
Castrol GP Oil: 44.84
R1100rs sump washer: 0.25
oIL fILTER r12gs: 7.45

Sub Total: 209.62
VAT: 36.68

Owing: 246.30

£44.84 for oil!!! Bunch of :censor::censor::censor::censor::censor:. I'll never use them again or recommend 'em. :censor::censor::censor::censor::censor:

Feckin thievin bastads. CAHNTS and I hope they read this. THIEVING CAHNTS stick it up your arse BMW Park Lane

from march 1 the first service is chargable i just had mine done here in ni and it was £115.00

I believe that you now pay for the parts on the first service (I was caught out on this with my 12 last year). Labour is not charged for if you return it to the dealer you bought from, otherwise you pay.

Think thats right!

Mike R

£44.84 :eek:

I can get 25lts of VW Quantam semi syth for around that!!

I've still got the litre of oil they gave me during the running in and that retails at £5.99 according to the sticker.

I think the 'free' 1st service is becoming a thing of the past though.

In the car world Tits's VW didn't get it's first service till 22,000 miles and that wern't free.

like my old man said to me...

you wanna play with the big boys ?
you gotta pay like the big boys !!

sell it if you can't afford it :nenau

Wasn't there some law about dealers not being able to charge more for bulk oil than for packaged oil.i.e.max price chargable was for shelf price of 1Ltr of the same oil they buy in bulk!

That was PARK LANE you say that charge £11 per Ltr.PARK LANE of London.I really can't believe there would be two companies called PARK LANE that could rip people off like that,robbing fcukers :spitfire

mrTickle said:
Feckin thievin bastads. CAHNTS and I hope they read this. THIEVING CAHNTS stick it up your arse BMW Park Lane
I know how much you hate thieving cahnts Geoff :eek:

you n me both Phil :rob

The b0ll0x of it is they reckon the oil they put in is special oil - oil for running in the bike between 600 - 6000 miles before they switch it to "normal" oil. But they then told me to top it up with "regular" mineral oil??? What's the point of that? If 1200's use as much oil as 1150's, by the time I've done 6000 miles all the expensive stuff will be gone anyway!

I don't normally bother writing letters to companies ( I prefer to be safe in the knowledge that they're cock suckers hehe ) but think I'm going to this time.

Good on ya.

mrTickle said:
you n me both Phil :rob

The b0ll0x of it is they reckon the oil they put in is special oil - oil for running in the bike between 600 - 6000 miles before they switch it to "normal" oil. But they then told me to top it up with "regular" mineral oil??? What's the point of that? If 1200's use as much oil as 1150's, by the time I've done 6000 miles all the expensive stuff will be gone anyway!

I don't normally bother writing letters to companies ( I prefer to be safe in the knowledge that they're cock suckers hehe ) but think I'm going to this time.

If you need a hand with the spelling, let me know.... ;)

mrTickle said:
they reckon the oil they put in is special oil - oil for running in the bike between 600 - 6000 miles before they switch it to "normal" oil.

Eh? What's that all about? Sounds like they're REALLY taking the piss out of you. Do they think we were all born yesterday? Cahnts, the lot of 'em!

Back
Top Bottom