Routes across Ireland

Toad

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
OK, myself and bertieboy are on the 9am ferry on the Thursday and are staying Thursday night in Balla, West of Westport.

So, It's my first time in Ireland, where should I go for the day? Any route suggestions?

Both of us are 2 up and SWMBO will probably want a P stop about once an hour.

Any great suggestions?

or Garmin route files?

Cheers guys - looking forward to meeting you all in a couple of weeks.

Hi Toad,

Presuming that you are sailing into Dun Laoghaire from Holyhead, I have two routes to suggest. The first is the main route across, is slightly longer than the other at 172 miles but is a much busier road, at least as far as Athlone.

map1s.jpg

The second, though marginally shorter at 164 miles will be a slower ride but on quieter roads, passing through little towns and villages.

map2s.jpg

At Mullingar do not take the bypass as there is a great pub for lunch in the centre of the town called The Druids Chair. The grub is very good and reasonably priced. :thumb

The ride across will probably take around four hours, plus the comfort stops and lunch. Any worthwhile attractions along the way should be well enough signed.

If you have any further queries just send a PM to Jockser or me.

Look forward to meeting you both there. :thumb :beerjug: :beer:

Thanks for the suggestions - and yes Dun Laoghaire is my start point.

Look forward to meeting up on the Friday :beerjug: :beer:

My suggestion would be N61/60 from Athlone to Castlebar - decent surface, not too much traffic (esp. on a Thurs) & plenty of passing opportunities -should you need them ;) ;)

However... I wouldn't take the main road to Athlone :nono
- either head out the N7 as far as Naas & then across to Clane, Edenderry, Tullamore, Moate
- or take the N4 & after Lucan head Celbridge, Clane, etc.

There'll probably be a bit of a spin along the coast & through the hills of Connemara on the Friday if you're up for it :D

Thanks for that , i'll print a couple of if you don't mind and give a copy to my man :thumb

( Better known as room bitch ) ;)

See below .

Kevin what were you thinking , my cross dressing drinking mate :eek:

Attachments

• whatton fairy.jpg
    whatton fairy.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 129

Back
Top Bottom