Have you an 1100GS - You've a part needs checking for your safety

the lower hoses on my front brakes are stainless but that upper piece is not! does anyone know where you can get the relevant hose rather than a full kit?

thanks , neptune

and it really is that easy to make your own, iv done, literally hundreds

Gawd...:eek:
now I'm worried I have a 9 year old 850GS with 54K

my bike is a non ABS model... is this also prone to this... checked last night & couldn't see any signs of damage to that particular pipe BUT the lh pipe has a groove worn in it from the speed cable :blast

I guess @ 9 years old I should be thinking of replacing the rubber pipes any way....... Steptoe, got any nice stainless steel ones hidden away ? :D

line replacement

Heeding steptoes advice :bow I intend to replace the lines on my 97 gs - Haven't done this before on a bike fitted with ABS - Can I bleed the system using the old plastic tube and jam jar method or will I have to get one of these pressure bleeders:nenau. Also any ideas where I can get some reasonably priced hoses - motoworks are looking at around £130 for a set of front braided Goodridge hoses. Any tips /hints will be gratefully received:thumb

As soon as I saw the post from steptoe on this... I too checked the hose - but saw no obvious damage at all.

However - I would rather err on the side of caution and so have ordered Goodridge hoses (paid a bit extra for S/S fittings - as per Hel)

Just waiting for them to arrive now :thumb2

To be honest I dont expect any great improvment in the brakes - I just want to know that they wont fail horribly on me at the worst moment. And as the O/E lines have done well for 8yrs - its no great pain to replace em. What price safety?

(or brake fluid pissing everywhere)

The date of the first post/warning on this thread was last january.

There was a spate of failures, then it all went quiet. I had two in recently so thought it best to put out a reminder.

There are no visible signs to look for on the hose. It just decides to split. Always at the same point - The top hose where the hose enters the banjo which joins to the main frame.

In that diagram - why do I have an indicator assembly showing rather than a brake set up?

Thanks for the warning Steptoe.....as someone else has said further back, is it all models or just the 1100 derivatives?

Do folks with 1150 versions need to loook out for the same problem please? Is it worth re-routing when replacing?

Thanks for the warning Steptoe.....as someone else has said further back, is it all models or just the 1100 derivatives?

Do folks with 1150 versions need to loook out for the same problem please? Is it worth re-routing when replacing?

Just seems to effect the 850/1100 models. The 1150 top hose is routed differently and has different fittings. Plus i've never had an 1150 in with a top hose popped.

me too 1996 50,ooo miles ish 5years ago lose track of time if still on originals CHANGE IT. allways was tight on full lock,

Happened to my 1100 too, its '94 with 115,000 mls so suppose cant complain but lucky to catch it when pushing it off the stand and lever seemed 'extra' spongy..! Replaced top line with braided..happy days

Happened to my 1100 too, its '94 with 115,000 mls so suppose cant complain but lucky to catch it when pushing it off the stand and lever seemed 'extra' spongy..! Replaced top line with braided..happy days

And on mine (while brake bleeding fortunately) but mine had only done 80,000 miles. Obviouly poor BMW quality control's not a new thing:bounce1

Serously though Steptoe's right, there was nothing visible wrong with the hose right up to the point of failure. It worried me enough to replace every hose on the bike for pece of mind as much as anything.

A similar problem...

Did not read all posts above, maybe somebody had a similar problem like mine but let me tell what happened to my front brake;

'94 R1100GS, 105k km. Factory hoses on it.

2 months ago no problem while running but going down hills on neutral, slow speeds bike slowed down, something holding the bike.
Someday bike on centerstand, found the front wheel is not rotating, calipers holding the discs, after 5 minutes they released the discs.

Checked pads, pistons, all fine, did not care much.

Next day front wheel stucked at all, luckyly did not have an accidend. Released after 1 hour itself.

Reason was;

Hose above front fender worned inside. When pump the brake oil moves forward but worned hose does not let it back for a while, at last did not let the oil back at all.

Changed the hose and running well since than.

Yes, brake hoses are an impotant issue, we all should replace them on older bikes...

Basri...

another one here

Well, add another to the list.

About a month ago, I was up the mountains on my '99 1100 GS and was trying, along with a mate, to get the beemers through a uphill path covered with wet grass! The story included a lot of pushing and pulling, and when we finally managed to the top, oups, no front brake at all.
It was the top brake hose, connecting the master cylinder to the metal joint on the bikes frame, on the right hand side of the bike, between the tank and the frame. Item number of the broken hose is 34-32-2-314-572, right? It had spitted at its bottom end, near the banjo bolt.

I was very like not to be riding on tarmac or even good gravel. Thankfully I was not even riding to be exact, just pushing, pulling and lifting!! :)

What I would like Steptoe's (and not only, of course) valuable advice about, is whether this thing happens to other parts of the brake line system. I was (still am) terrified about the event and I am ready to replace all brake hoses with OEM or metal high-pressure ones.

Thanks
Thanasis

Made sense to me to replace the 10yr old brake lines both front and rear.. my bike lives outside (in the UK weather) - it added to the cost - but its a one-off. the steel lines fitted now should outlast the OEM at the very least and probably the life of the bike itself.

Did the lines on My 1100 95 GS . Wasnt a big issue ,at least i can ride now without thinking about a brake failure on that line .

Had exactly the same thing Neil, 94 1100 at 20k. Had changed the pads and was changing the fluid when suddenly no resistance when pumping the lever. Best place for it to happen. In the workshop. Braided hose with a little extra length added as risers were going to be fitted.

Same happened to me bleeding the brakes on my old rattler (78K miles). I notice the later bikes have the fitting turned thro' 90deg so the tubing flexes along it's length rather than twisting in the ferrule.

Back
Top Bottom