Have you an 1100GS - You've a part needs checking for your safety

Brake line

Had two more bikes in this month with this problem.

Give it a check or replace, rather than wait for it to fail.
Like the name! just joined this sunny cold morn, will check mine later , but knowing me i will put braided on, a chap called Exelciom? advised me to come on here, seems a good site pippip Big Jessie oooh look proper smilies>>>>>>>>:flag

Last edited:
Changing front pads and suddenly covered with fluid when bleeding. Had worn through the plastic casing and the line.
Last time out - track day at Cadwell. Could have been very nasty. 1100gs 60,000 miles.

Went to get my '98 1100gs out of garage yesterday, pulled front lever and it came right back to the bar, rubber pipe has gone where it goes into its crimping, feels like the layers have separated inside, will cut pipe to see what has failed later. Feckin typical, nice weather and I'm off the road:(

Looks like I got this problem on my 1150 GS (2001).

Rear brake line ballons near caliper. Won't belong before it bursts I suspect. Another job I need to learn. LOL.

Well mine has gone today or about to go. Front brakes were shyte this morning and then this lunchtime I noticed the pipe is ballooning at the the first joint, so rode home on rear brake only. Booked in for service and brake pipe replacement with Steptoe.

Well the advantage of rubber is you can check for bulges and then replace. Braided hoses show nothing and then fail. Thats why on planes and race cars they are replaced as a service item I have been told. This is also why Braided hoses need to be fitted correctly to stop and piviting of the hose where it enters the banjo. As continued flexing here can cause the neoprene inner pipe to fail with no bulging showing on the outer.

Well the advantage of rubber is you can check for bulges and then replace. Braided hoses show nothing and then fail. Thats why on planes and race cars they are replaced as a service item I have been told. This is also why Braided hoses need to be fitted correctly to stop and piviting of the hose where it enters the banjo. As continued flexing here can cause the neoprene inner pipe to fail with no bulging showing on the outer.

Thanks for this piece of interesting comment. I will keep this info as a 'worrying problem' for next year. I've got other worries for 2017.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had to replace my Wreg 1150's front lines early last year after both front hoses bulged until one split just above each front caliper, luckily it was while i was tryng to flush some fresh fluid through the system. After replacing all the hoses with stainless from MW's I followed up afterwards and did my 850 as well.
To be honest, I would say that ANY 850,1100 or 1150 thats still on OE rubber hoses needs doing regardless. The youngest is going to be about 13-14 years old after all?

Mine did it exactly where you've said, luckily when I grabbed a load of front when it was on its centre stand. Lucky lucky boy. Changed to braided goodridge lines now! 95 ha

Back
Top Bottom