Have you an 1100GS - You've a part needs checking for your safety

Steptoe

What a waste.
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Had two in this last month, and a couple more phone calls with the same problem - Over the last year i've also had this same problem with 8-10 bikes. And it's actually happened to me while out testing a customers bike. It's not a very pleasant experience.

The front top brake line on older 1100GS's, is splitting at the connection with the frame/holder. Where the hose joins into the fitting. Due to age and the constant flexing at the samepoint. It goes without any warning, you just lose all front braking.

Don't wait until it splits, replace it now. To be safe.

None of the other sections of hose give any trouble, just this one section.

Could you also post up/reply if it's happened to you or you know of anyone had the same problem. Just so we can get an idea of just how widespread this problem is.

a mate of mine with an nreg 1100 had this happen the other w/e, passed your address on to him he s after some s steel repaicements one wasnt someone called adrian by any chance:nenau

Good post Steptoe :clap :clap :clap :clap
I am sure there is a good few Gser's out
there owe you a few of these :beer: :beer: :beer:

I replace my hoses about five years ago with
braided hoses have you heard of these going ???
Will check mine tomorrow morning before i head off.
Thanks again

Had exactly the same thing Neil, 94 1100 at 20k. Had changed the pads and was changing the fluid when suddenly no resistance when pumping the lever. Best place for it to happen. In the workshop. Braided hose with a little extra length added as risers were going to be fitted.

My front brakes failed completely.

The lower left hand brake line was rubbing off a badly routed speedo cable
must have been like that a long time, the hard plastic spedo on soft hose.
While the bike was coming off a ramp the brakes failed completely. The small
amount of pressure while stopping it as it rolled off the bench was enough to
blow a 6mm hole in the badly worn wall of the hydraulic hose. I know it's a
different problem, but since the result's the same I thought I'd post it.

I must admit apart from pads I didn't pay much thought to the brake system
but they're more important than anything else I suppose. :eek:

PS. I replaced both lower lines with stainless braided hose and since reading
this thread went out and had a good look at the upper hose, it seems ok, but
I will replace it on Monday with the braided stuff. BTW I don't think I'd squeeze
the brakes as hard under normal braking as I would when checking/testing them.

Thanks for the heads up Steptoe :beerjug: :thumb

Daithi.

Had exactly the same thing Neil, 94 1100 at 20k. Had changed the pads and was changing the fluid when suddenly no resistance when pumping the lever. Best place for it to happen. In the workshop. Braided hose with a little extra length added as risers were going to be fitted.

my mates burst when he was checking over his bike before going out on the bike with his misses pumped the brake a couple of times his is a non linked bike.

went bang during pre-flight checks

was just getting the bike out of the garrage, and grabbed some front break to stop her...break leaver felt spongy, (like the pads had been pushed all the way into the calipers)...pumped the leaver a few times and it felt 'normal' but the front breaks had locked up...one more pump and BANG, fountain of break fluid all over the misses.:eek: good job I wasnt acually riding the thing

my mates burst when he was checking over his bike before going out on the bike with his misses pumped the brake a couple of times his is a non linked bike.

was just getting the bike out of the garrage, and grabbed some front break to stop her...break leaver felt spongy, (like the pads had been pushed all the way into the calipers)...pumped the leaver a few times and it felt 'normal' but the front breaks had locked up...one more pump and BANG, fountain of break fluid all over the misses.:eek: good job I wasnt acually riding the thing

Were both bikes 1100 ?:nenau :eek:

Neil

My '99 1100 had to have new hoses last year, about 54000 miles on't clock. The front hose had begun to split, can't remember exactly where it was, but needed changing none the less.

Had two more bikes in this month with this problem.

Give it a check or replace, rather than wait for it to fail.

only 1100GS?

Is this specific only to the 1100GS, I have a 2000 ABS R850R, is the assembly the same? If it is worn, will the spot it is going to blow at be visible? I've just been and had a look, the hose flexes as the bars are turned, I can see the out side which looks fine, the inside is up against the frame and is not visible. :nenau

...and one last question. What is the best method for a DIY hose replacement on this section?

Mine went last year, same place, no warning, thankfully I was in the Garage when it went (1998 1100 with ABS) Anyone who has not done so REPLACE THIS HOSE NOW!
Stewart

HA
just had one go, whilst doin rollin road test,
he tried blamein me!!!!!!rollin road does 4mph,
i pointed out that it would av been worse on the road
woulda pointed him to this site but he was a w*nker , not a tosser
gave him a appeal form
as above, replace it, i checked it 1st, it looked ok, ....

Which one?
B0004706.png

no,s 1/5 on the one today

Thats the daddy, hose 1 . It splits where the hose joins the banjo union, where the bolt number 3 goes through. Due to the constant flexing at the same point on the hose.

Back
Top Bottom