Fork seal fitting

As per the norm all great advice, well I nipped down the road and got some guy to knock me one up as Mark suggested, 20 minutes and for £2 not bad, I managed to get several different sizes of print off the cafe printer and went with Mr Steptoe having an average sized thumb and not hands like shovels. Will see what happens when my shock arrives.

sealpuller-M.jpg

Thanks Again,

John

don't use a flat screw driver you run the risk of scoring the internal bore of the tube, so allowing oil to leak around the outside of the seal, use an open ended spanner to lever out the seal (around 20mm ) you can damn near just push the seal in with your thumbs and finally drive down with a close fitting socket (close fitting to the tube if you follow)Be really sure how the old seal comes out. The seal is double lipped, rub your finger down the inside of the seal the sharp edge fits downward, away from the circlip.
Good luck, UC

Hi, great posting thank you. One thing that seems strange is that the seal has the spring facing away from the oil, these normally fit the other way round, anyone know why BMW has it this way?

I too found this posting fantastic, brilliant people share their mechanical experience. One small point the seal picture showing underneath is actuall the top. It will leak if inserted with the seal place this way. The other images are correct and your observation is right as the pressure is important to seal the seal :)

Having just done this, I'd say that it your seal is as corroded as mine was (they've got metal formers in them), 5 minutes with a hair dryer makes it a whole lot easier to get them out.

:thumb

Excellent write up on changing fork seals, i changed both within 40 minutes, 25mins for first and 15 for second, i used a 19mm spanner to prise the seal out. I also found the spacers underneath the seal to be rusty on one side so i wire brushed them before putting them back in otherwise its an easy job...

Hmm, six years after my first comment, I've just ordered the bits to do this job.

Timeless!

Great Thread. I just got some seals and a puller so will do this job this weekend. Nearly 7 years on and this thread is still giving!:aidan

Forgot to add, the tool worked a treat and the job was easy.

Thank you Steptoe :thumb2

And the thread continues to give :)
Just got an R1150RS, it has one leaking seal.
One point though, the stanchion top nuts on it ain't like the pics.
Look more like knurled thumbscrews sticking above the yoke.
Guess i'll find out when I undo 'em if there are any differences inside :)

And the thread continues to give :)
Just got an R1150RS, it has one leaking seal.
One point though, the stanchion top nuts on it ain't like the pics.
Look more like knurled thumbscrews sticking above the yoke.
Guess i'll find out when I undo 'em if there are any differences inside :)

Ignore the thumbscrews. Just loosen the bolts in the top yolk that grip the tubes and the tubes pull out just the same as in the pictures.

Great thread, thanks to Neil. I replaced both of my fork seals and dust caps + flushed out the forks + put in fresh oil about 6k ago. A half hour job all in. All good. At £12 a year this forum is priceless...

So is the free abuse and general rubbish around here.

Happy new year all.

I changed both side seals on mine as the other started to leak. Thanks for the tips, so I didn`t remove the legs of the bike :thumb

I’m keen to do this, but there’s no pics showing in the original post: is there a way of getting them to do so?

R

If you send me your email address (karstp aatt hotmail) I can send you a PDF of Steptoe's instructions with pictures. I PDF all interesting articles as they come along for future reference and this was certainly a keeper.

KP

If you send me your email address (karstp aatt hotmail) I can send you a PDF of Steptoe's instructions with pictures. I PDF all interesting articles as they come along for future reference and this was certainly a keeper.

KP
Thanks. Info on the way.

R

KP

Would you mind doing the same for me?
Thanks.
Rob.

Back
Top Bottom