Engine cut out - XXX failure ?

Spout

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Set off for work this morning on my 1190R and after a mile the engine cut out with a XXX? Failure on the left screen (no glasses so couldn't read the TLA).
Engine wouldn't restart.
Started pushing it home and after 5 mins tried restarting - no problem. Rode home and all seemed well, so turned round and came to work. Even risked the motorway :augie
No Warning codes evident.

Fingers crossed for the next few days..............................

I think it's the battery.

Wouldn't start when leaving work. Showing 11.4V dropping to 9V when cranking.

Now sat waiting for battery charger to do its bit. Late tea for me tonight.

XXX was MTS failure (and also saw ABS failure).

Seems odd to me that there's enough power in the battery to turn engine over, but not enough to run the on board computers. Progress:blast

I think it's the battery.

Wouldn't start when leaving work. Showing 11.4V dropping to 9V when cranking.

Now sat waiting for battery charger to do its bit. Late tea for me tonight.

XXX was MTS failure (and also saw ABS failure).

Seems odd to me that there's enough power in the battery to turn engine over, but not enough to run the on board computers. Progress:blast
Prior to charging, did you check the electrolyte level ??

How old is the battery ?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

And some KTM owners on here moan about paint thickness on the GS. Give me that any day rather than a bike that can conk out at anytime and let me down :D

But BMW batteries last 54 weeks, then go fucko.

Some batteries last for ages because the vehicle/battery charging/discharging rate are in almost perfect sync, others are not so good.

Luck of the draw (in amps)
And some KTM owners on here moan about paint thickness on the GS. Give me that any day rather than a bike that can conk out at anytime and let me down :D

But BMW batteries last 54 weeks, then go fucko.

Some batteries last for ages because the vehicle/battery charging/discharging rate are in almost perfect sync, others are not so good.

Luck of the draw (in amps)

I think you'll find the word is most, not some.

Update -

New battery fitted and still wont start.

Getting MTS failure or cABS failure, with the engine light flashing two short, pause etc.

Think it'll be going home on a trailer :mad:

2 years old.

New one on order.

:D

I thought you meant the bike - BMW or KTM you have to consider yourself lucky to get to the end of the warranty without at least one break down (or six Final Drive Failures)

You could buy Japanese - almost as boring as the BMW, but without the breakdowns, or just enjoy the KTM when it is running.

Update.

Managed to get bike to Colwyn Bay last week (it's been a hectic couple of months) and a faulty crankshaft sensor was diagnosed.

New one fitted this morning and she fired up.

Picking up tomorrow. :thumb

I am likely to buy whatever they give away this year.

And the winner is.....

…. a Super Adventure 1290 S :D

The 1190 stays, Mrs had choice of getting to borrow the newer lower mileage 1090 when we go away, or the older higher mileage 1190, she chose the latter, and I have a soft spot for it....

...by this age / mileage my last GS had got through 2 Fork Seals, 2 warped discs, Leaky Gearbox Seal, Heated Grip failure, 2 clutch faults, ABS problem (intermittent errors never diagnosed) blown 3 headlight bulbs, a never resolved stalling issue (as you changed down and went to move off like entering a roundabout to find no power just as you need it most, very rare but fucking dangerous when it happened) - plus a couple of recalls.

So not too bothered about keeping this "unreliable" 1190 after all that!

Back
Top Bottom