Gael warning in the Congo

Micky: good to hear from you, I wondered where you were!

I've been keeping my eye on you Simon ... riding along with you :beerjug:

He's slowing up, except when it comes to necking malt whisky! Or even whiskey. :D

Keep going Simon. The fates and UKgser are behind you. :thumb

Only your whisky Peter ... only yours :D

:beerjug:

Hi Mike: please can you explain this a bit more? I.e. why pump will be OK and why clean filter? Thanks S

Sorry Simon, went away to a lovely place with no internet access for a couple of days.

I think that it has already been explained by flyfifer but it does now seem that the pump is going after 130,000km on the same fuel filter...surely not :eek:

I had a similar problem last year in Albania and the pump gradually started to make a hellish whine ( for 300 miles across central Macedonia to get to reasonable populated area on the west of Albania ), emptied the tank and the filter ( with 10k miles on ) was totally blocked up with brown gunge. Managed to get a pump from an Audi and modify it slightly to fit but there were no suitable filters so I just flushed it umpteen times to clean it, got home ok 2500 miles later.

I tried the old pump using paraffin in a bucket and it's quiet..no whine, the brushes in yours could be past there best now after all that abuse :D

Thanks Mike. I may have misspoken about the filter... I am sure steptoe has replaced the filter during the regular servicing but the pump is original.

During the 300 miles of whining pump did you get any fuelling issues or stalling (as I am experiencing a little)?

S

Envoyé de mon G8441 en utilisant Tapatalk

I've been keeping my eye on you Simon ... riding along with you :beerjug:

Only your whisky Peter ... only yours :D

:beerjug:

:blast Rub it in, why dontcha! :D

Thought you'd be relating your international rescue tale to reassure Simon? ;)

And Simon, good plan and all the best to your partner / super pillion. :aidan

Simon , had a look around
Bosch ECU , single spark pre 2002 motorworks do them as well as some chaps on ebay
If you order from Motorworks I am sure they can do the Silent blocks as well
Albert

Attachments

• 3BB7E6B7-4A45-40CB-8FF9-B33AB07BDD24.jpg
    3BB7E6B7-4A45-40CB-8FF9-B33AB07BDD24.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 581
  • 233DE63F-D93D-42B4-BFB8-A17DF4224C49.jpg
    233DE63F-D93D-42B4-BFB8-A17DF4224C49.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 600
Thanks Albert!

I will take a look (in fact mine is a 2003 twin spark ).

Hope all is well with you in Nantwich?

Simon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think this is the twin spark one
6a0720022b041bda8be380731c70d43e.png

Although not sure how you can be sure if a used one...I guess motorworks and motorbins test them?

Great stuff, as usual, Simon. I’m not sure how I’ll get through the Autumn now, but will look forward to your new year continuation.

Motorworks do sell the blocks :thumby:

Thanks Mike. I may have misspoken about the filter... I am sure steptoe has replaced the filter during the regular servicing but the pump is original.

During the 300 miles of whining pump did you get any fuelling issues or stalling (as I am experiencing a little)?

S

Envoyé de mon G8441 en utilisant Tapatalk

Still, that's a good mileage from the original pump given the countries you travel through and the low quality fuel you get :thumb2

I had no issues with stalling or otherwise but my pump was only 20k miles old at the time so it was probably still strong enough to cope.

Hope all goes well with your wife's op.

Mike.

Cheers all.

Filling in the couple of days before my flight.

Found a nice hut by the beach near the Angola border:

131d82f93a9c2d7fea117fc28a757404.jpg

Grub is good
ef226f50e99c489724bb41787f216b2a.jpg

8c14676d969b02558ef552ae1a293825.jpg

Neighbours are friendly
09c6033585a2b2dcf90327fb164cb01b.jpg

Beach not too crowded
1dd06acf2cc0d72ff829639c14dd0f8a.jpg

Xavier the patron is a livewire former soldier and bodyguard (told him to tune in to the BBC for the latest on that!) and motorcyclis, and we end up drinking beers into the evening and talking of our respective travels and adventures (his far more hair raising than mine!)

916e8c5dc1d5a62f1412a4687416fb87.jpg

It is indeed...but I was glad I had taken a taxi there (the taxi driver wasn’t !) and left the GS stores away as there was a kilometre if very deep sand on the way there.
f8771e5e7c284ecb7b5f58ca1ca2e43a.jpg

I have learned from experience that he GS is not ideal for this...whilst you have to go for it, it’s sheer weight is intimidating when it slaloms

I think I shall put a ‘sand-riding ‘ training course on my early Christmas list...although I have now down a fair bit I still find it stressful

Drumacoon Lad also asked me an interesting question about local motorbikes which promotes a research visit to the Bajaj dealer here.

c6cac9ddd2c38e36a013fabdf82d9007.jpg

d952ec0e66c74206ed10601d3920c3db.jpg

After a bit of negotiation it transpires that you or I could buy their 150cc model, with decent on/off road tyres and sturdy suspension and electric start (plus, importantly a Kickstarter) for about £900 including registration and a year's insurance.

It's only a 4 speed box but no complications of fuel injection (it's a carb model) and as it's designed to carry at least 3 people it's certainly robust enough to get me to South Africa (and every village mechanic will be a letter to cope with the technology).

So that's certainly something for me to think about as I price up the new ECU, fuel pump and silent blocks I need.

So I am pondering all this as I enjoy last Congo sunset for a little while
047cb26628f2e2db85befc79ec901a24.jpg

a1cc04d315ff6cbbe8bca7539efe92ca.jpg

Appropriately enough the photo suggests a couple of sacks of prátaí can be carried with ease☘️

Superb reading & piccy viewing as ever Simon....:clap :clap :clap

Thanks Ash... really appreciate the feedback and support. I find writing the blog is a good way to think through my options and the Tosserati always have interesting viewpoints!
Also as I am.not much of a drinker (despite the photos) it keeps me occupied of an evening!

Thinking of what I need to get the GS running well, and anticipating what may be to come, I think it might be prudent to add a Hall sensor to the potential shopping list, so that becomes quite a lot of stuff.

I think next week I shall take a ride up to Steptoe and sons of Putney, scrap iron merchant extraordinary, and talk to the sage himself before I start purchasing.

I guess with new ECU, fuel pump and filter, new plugs (already fitted) there is not much else in the system🤞except the injectors and the HES.

Could the injectors have been damaged? The bike was running well but sounding slightly 'hoarse and throaty' (if that description makes sense?) and occasionally stalled, and the fuel pump was whining.

I guess when I come back I can start with the fuel pump replacement and work from there...

Back
Top Bottom