60 in Africa (London to Ghana)

Around 25c heading in land now so it's getting hotter, how's Blighty? Sorry I'm being a twat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It feels like spring is springing. Don't know if it'll last.......

No saving that until I get to Ghana, more appropriate to me.
On the outskirts of Dakar near the airport, in a fishing village for want of a better word. Loving it, very, very basic, but safe and hassle free. A real find. Girls are beautiful, fish cooked on the beach. This is the part of the adventure that I came for.

I remember staying in a village like that, could even be the same beach. The Paris Dakar race had just finished and there were some exotic bikes parked up. Just found my old route notes (!!) - I stayed at Voile D'Or, also called Plage Belair.
I got visas for Mali, Cameroon and Burkina Faso there; Nigerian and Ivory Coast visas in Bamako
A guy did get his daysac nicked there so stay aware (but not paranoid).
Enjoying your trip from the comfort of my sofa, brings back a lot of memories (though there was no tar between Dahkla and Nouakchott when I went south (and later back north)).
Which way are you heading east? Some remote country out there east of Kayes

Loving this thread and hoping you're OK mate after no update for a few days. i hope it's only because the food and beach are THAT good!

Sorry these reports are late, but I hope you enjoy them. They need pictures which can be seen on my Facebook page 60 in Africa

Nouakchott
I spent most of the evening trying to find a reasonable hotel in Nouakchott. There doesn’t seem to be many, but they are all expensive. I looked at an overlanders auberge, which was cheap, but I’m not ready for that yet. The 2 star hotels were ridicules, so I ended up in a nice 4 star. No, wait a minute, let me explain. I had been to most that I could find Booking com only listed three and 2 of those were expensive crap. I was passing this 4 star hotel and I thought why not chance my hand. So I went in. Of course the price quoted was very high, but I had nothing to lose by making a stupid offer, which I did, but instead of kicking me out, he said he couldn’t go that low, but he made a counter offer, and so the fun began. I said his offer was way to high. he then wanted to show me the room, mentioned about a million times the great swimming pool and gym that they had. I could see the pool from the reception and it was nice, the last thing that I wanted to do before we agreed a price was see the room. He and I both knew that that was the deal maker. I said no, and continued to argue. Shamefully I did bring my new found power into the negotiations, which again impressed and gave me more leverage. In the end he came down to within €3 of my first offer, after a little more puffing, sucking breath through my teeth and putting my helmet on and off, I accepted. the price was no more than £5 higher than what the 2 star hotels had been, the was great thing was it came with real air con, just what I needed after a day in the desert.

I decide to spend a little time in Nouakcott, rather than just flying through, well ok, I was enjoying the luxury, and didn’t want to give it up just yet. After breakfast I spent the following morning, catching up with a few things, then asked the security staff, where I would find local food. They were only to pleased to show a Jamaican, who, joking aside, they really do revere as true, uncompromising, Blackmen the best of their local cuisine.

The cafe was very basic, and if I’m honest I did wonder if there was a price to be paid later, indeed if the Mauritanians were having the last laugh, but there was only one way to find out. Having asked the “waiter” what was traditional, he said the Koftu with Riz, This was more a cross between hotpot and Jamaican Saturday soup. If you don’t know about Saturday soup ask the next Jamaican you meet. The meat I didn’t really establish what it was, it could’ve been lamb, goat or even camel I would guess, and a plate of rice. I can report it was ok, not the best meal I’ve ever had, but ok and all was well more than three hours later.

After eating, I thought I’d take a look around, Marrakesh didn’t really prepare me for this. It’s clearly market day, and it looks like Mauritania loves markets, There are hundreds of taxis, lots mini buses and vans doubling for mini buses. Throw in the odd donkey cart and you have the perfect recipe for total madness, and that’s what it is. Horns are going, but no one seems to be losing their temper. Even though they may keep their hand on the horn when they’re three or four cars away from the blockage, there are no waving of arms, jumping out of the car, with any in your face shouting. There are shoppers everywhere, with enough stalls to make Petticoat Lane look like a village fete. All are well stocked with fruit, vegetables, flip-flops second hand sandals being polished to a shine you could shave in. There’s New York Rap fashion, traditional hawks, socks, electrical apparel. Most of what you expect to see in a market, but streets and streets of it. Then there’s the sounds it’s mayhem, but an orderly mayhem. I get back to the hotel, just before sunset, hot and bothered and glad of the air conditioning. When I ring home, I’m told that it’s trying to snow, ha, who’s crazy now?

Great report, thanks so much for posting and good luck on the road

Sorry about the lack of updates. Last week was rough, with a lot of questions about the morality of what we do. But I've come to terms with it now, I think, so hoping to find some time to do a full update.

Sorry about the lack of updates. Last week was rough, with a lot of questions about the morality of what we do. But I've come to terms with it now, I think, so hoping to find some time to do a full update.

Hope all is ok Davey Bee. There is a little saying I like...

"The deeper I go, the deeper I get".

It sounds like you are at this point. Keep it together. :thumb

Just overheard an interesting conversation, the gist of which was to make it harder for non Africans to come to Africa. Could we see the overloaded boats crossing the Med' north to south one day? …We thought Donald Trump in the White House ridiculous just a year ago!

Congratulations !! It has been a pleasure reading each post.

Now turn this into a book :thumb

And having done it, hope you're not planning to fly back - are you :D

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I did it.

Glad to hear it, though you seem to have run out of words the further south you've got.

I've enjoyed reading it and hope for more fun and franticness (is that a word?) in the future.

On the contrary, there is so much that has been happening, from a stand up with armed solders in the bush, when I ran out of humour, to sharing 2 hotels in different countries with each respective Agricultural Ministers. With lots more in between. I've been too busy living it. But now I'm here I'll get my head down and put it in words.

Congratulations !! It has been a pleasure reading each post.

Now turn this into a book :thumb

And having done it, hope you're not planning to fly back - are you :D

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

The plan was always to fly back, giving me more time to travel south. Sadly I have bills waiting to be paid in London so I'm limited with time. I'll be down here for a couple of weeks, the bikes impounded at the moment, so I have to sort that, to be honest I fancy leaving it here and continuing the trip next year, but I have two bosses back home, one that pays me and the other that spends it. I have to clear that idea with both of them before I can decide what I want to do.

On the contrary, there is so much that has been happening, from a stand up with armed solders in the bush, when I ran out of humour, to sharing 2 hotels in different countries with each respective Agricultural Ministers. With lots more in between. I've been too busy living it. But now I'm here I'll get my head down and put it in words.

I was hoping that was the case (without the armed confrontation!)

The plan was always to fly back, giving me more time to travel south. Sadly I have bills waiting to be paid in London so I'm limited with time. I'll be down here for a couple of weeks, the bikes impounded at the moment, so I have to sort that, to be honest I fancy leaving it here and continuing the trip next year, but I have two bosses back home, one that pays me and the other that spends it. I have to clear that idea with both of them before I can decide what I want to do.

Yes, yes, yes, leave the bike there ... and then we can look forward to the next instalment :thumb ... this has been an awesome ride.

Back
Top Bottom