New fork protectors......quite smart & inexpensive

See, if you'd thought in advance, you could have set up a group buy and we'd all have been truly grateful to you for a couple of weeks or so..... :augie

See, if you'd thought in advance, you could have set up a group buy and we'd all have been truly grateful to you for a couple of weeks or so..... :augie

If I'd have only known I could have 'won' some temporary friends, for 2 weeks for a couple of euro's.......;)

I coated my forks in GT85 before putting on the covers, to (a) assist fitting & (b) give a protective coating.

When they get wet, all I intend to do is remove them (dry the forks and re-apply GT85), dry the covers and re-fit....:D

That's way too much faff - I'll stick (ha!) with helicopter tape...

So...
Road dust and grit works its way under the protectors (especially at the ends), making a nice grinding paste with the water / acf50 / wd40 / other goo which people are using to protect their forks from the fork protectors, and slowly wears away at the anodising on the fork legs?...

Not crazy about the exposed zips on the inside.

The zip slider has to risk rubbing on the anodised fork tube. At the least it needs something like helicopter tape top and bottom. Oh booger it just run a 2" wide tape from top to bottom.

It also does nothing for the cast bottom ends that (on my bike at least) have suffered from flying stones.

So...
Road dust and grit works its way under the protectors (especially at the ends), making a nice grinding paste with the water / acf50 / wd40 / other goo which people are using to protect their forks from the fork protectors, and slowly wears away at the anodising on the fork legs?...

Exactly, that and zips - I'm out :)

Only takes a single piece of grit to make a right mess of the anodising - under those :blast

Exactly, that and zips - I'm out :)

Only takes a single piece of grit to make a right mess of the anodising - under those :blast

Well that's strange as I have used neoprene protectors on various bits of mountain bikes (fork legs, headsets, chain stays etc.) for years, and in all kinds of off-road and on-road conditions.

Never once had any grit get in and scratch anything! In fact just the opposite, the protector has kept grit out!

I had bits of mountain bike ruined by neoprene sleeves :nenau

I've not used it since (on pedal or motor) - tape every time for me...

I had bits of mountain bike ruined by neoprene sleeves :nenau

I've not used it since (on pedal or motor) - tape every time for me...

It must be a miracle that "Lizard Skins" has grown to be such a successful business :rolleyes:

Good to see you today Keith, and your "rock collectors" (oops sorry fork protectors) look very smart :thumb

Rest of your bike looking good too fella, top job done over the winter :clap

Good to see you today Keith, and your "rock collectors" (oops sorry fork protectors) look very smart :thumb

Rest of your bike looking good too fella, top job done over the winter :clap

Likewise Toddy, good to meet you today....the fork sleeves will do the job, and I'll make a point of checking for grit et al......I did pull one of the zips down when I got home....doesn't appear to be any scratches, grit etc so seems to be working OK :D

Back
Top Bottom