Rough idle and lack of power

een705

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Had a brilliant run out today bike r1200gs lc running great and no issues. I rode into a busy town and slow moving traffic and the idle felt rough and the warning triangle went to orange. I stopped bike turn ignition off then started bike again and warning light now off so I blasted it down motorway and it wouldn`t pull like it should as I geared down to 4th and went on full throttle just didnt pull at all well. I came off motorway to lights and idle was rough.
I have changed plugs tonight and air filter and disconnected battery hoping it was a software glitch but not been on it.
Anyone any ideas or advice?

Had a brilliant run out today bike r1200gs lc running great and no issues. I rode into a busy town and slow moving traffic and the idle felt rough and the warning triangle went to orange. I stopped bike turn ignition off then started bike again and warning light now off so I blasted it down motorway and it wouldn`t pull like it should as I geared down to 4th and went on full throttle just didnt pull at all well. I came off motorway to lights and idle was rough.
I have changed plugs tonight and air filter and disconnected battery hoping it was a software glitch but not been on it.
Anyone any ideas or advice?

TPS very likely

Might have been as simple as a bit of crap in the petrol, it can happen, bet it runs fine today and you will never know what it was, head scratching times ahead, if none of that maybe simply the software needs to be re-flashed, it can happen on any software bike, had similar thing happen on a Harley, luckily I had a map in my FP3 and was able to re-flash at the side of the road, then all went well, just an anecdote. :D

Something or nothing. Now here’s a thing, my GSA has just had its run in service. Before it was running like a peach, but on the return home noticed the idle was lumpy. Will test today...after my car’s 20 year MOT, another anxiety moment. Off to Dent this weekend so hope all is well.

A friend of mine had a similar experience.
The problem occurred out of nowhere. Warning light came on and engine went into limpmode.
Happened more than once.

He took it to dealer, and the dealer zeroed out the TPS idle position. The problem never reoccurred.

Something or nothing. Now here’s a thing, my GSA has just had its run in service. Before it was running like a peach, but on the return home noticed the idle was lumpy. Will test today...after my cars 20 year MOT, another anxiety moment. Off to Dent this weekend so hope all is well.

Take it back quick if you can, not normal, sometimes their software upgrades screw up

Take it back quick if you can, not normal, sometimes their software upgrades screw up

Yeah..I think you’re right Smogbob. And there was I thinking it would run even better after the service. :D

Crap in the carb.

I'm slightly surprised at the suggestion there's a TPS as it's fly-by-wire. Similarly, do the throttle bodies need to be balanced either, as they're driven independently by stepper motors, and I would hope, self-calibrate.

Crap in the carb.

I'm slightly surprised at the suggestion there's a TPS as it's fly-by-wire. Similarly, do the throttle bodies need to be balanced either, as they're driven independently by stepper motors, and I would hope, self-calibrate.

Lol carb?

Lol carb?

A blonde pushes her BMW into a gas station. She tells the mechanic it died. After he works on it for a few minutes, it is idling smoothly. She says, "What's the story?" He replies, "Just crap in the carburetor" She asks, "How often do I have to do that?"

Just a suggestion but the throttle is connected via a similar plug to a usb at the throttle end try removing,cleaning and reinserting the cable connection

Back
Top Bottom