Fork Stanchion recall?

Popped in to my dealer today, no issues with mine. It'll get the new collars early September.

Same for me. I wonder what % of people on here are actually going to have an issue. Very small I would suggest.

Incidentally, first time I've been to BMW Manchester since their refurb. Very nice inside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had mine checked at the 12k service, no need for anything yet, but will have a modification at the next service. I'm completely happy that's the plan, it's never been off road, nor is it likely to in my ownership.

The same for me... had mine checked three weeks ago, all ok. Down 2,500 on a Euro trip fully loaded with swmbo and no concerns. Will get it done when I have the tyres changed and the ESA checked after encountering many random adjustments from pillion mode to solo rider mode... but that's a different story

If you're lucky, a suit from BMW was at my local dealership this week he said October is more likely, so we'll all be lucky if they are done by Christmas, mine have been checked and need the collars fitting, for peace of mind it would have been good to get this mod done before I leave for a Euro jaunt in a couple of weeks.
BMW have handled this really badly.....piss poor customer service.

Gutted for you. I was in this predicament yesterday as I was literally getting the check done enroute to the boat. Don't know what I would have done if they had said it was faulty. Are you still going to go? Is it worth calling any other dealers or HO. If you had the trip booked before the letter arrived I think you should be given a loan bike.

If you're lucky, a suit from BMW was at my local dealership this week he said October is more likely, so we'll all be lucky if they are done by Christmas, mine have been checked and need the collars fitting, for peace of mind it would have been good to get this mod done before I leave for a Euro jaunt in a couple of weeks.
BMW have handled this really badly.....piss poor customer service.

Shall I bring some feeler gauges with me :)

Or you could go vintage and take a time machine back to the Stone Age and borrow one of my 1150's ;)

The same for me... had mine checked three weeks ago, all ok. Down 2,500 on a Euro trip fully loaded with swmbo and no concerns. Will get it done when I have the tyres changed and the ESA checked after encountering many random adjustments from pillion mode to solo rider mode... but that's a different story

The ESA problem is exactly what mine has been suffering from , randomly dropping down from two up setting down to the solo setting while the display still shows it to be on the higher setting .

To get it back onto the higher setting I was having to scroll down on to the solo setting so the suspension could 'catch up' with its lower setting and then scroll back up onto the two up setting..

On mine no faults were recorded ............... it is, however , getting new shocks as after inspection they are both leaking .........BMW is aware of the fault as my dealers raised an issue with BMW

The ESA problem is exactly what mine has been suffering from , randomly dropping down from two up setting down to the solo setting while the display still shows it to be on the higher setting .

To get it back onto the higher setting I was having to scroll down on to the solo setting so the suspension could 'catch up' with its lower setting and then scroll back up onto the two up setting..

On mine no faults were recorded ............... it is, however , getting new shocks as after inspection they are both leaking .........BMW is aware of the fault as my dealers raised an issue with BMW

Thnx for that Neil, exactly what is happening with mine... spoke to the dealer yesterday, so the investigation is commencing.... they have tried to suggest it's because my wife was riding with me whilst fully loaded... cheeky fuckers. She weighs about 8 stone...:rolleyes::blast

Mine did it 3 or 4 times last summer when away but this year it happened 9 times , utter PIA

Same for me. I wonder what % of people on here are actually going to have an issue. Very small I would suggest

Maybe so but it doesn't Instill confidence and plants a seed of doubt no matter how small.

Gutted for you. I was in this predicament yesterday as I was literally getting the check done enroute to the boat. Don't know what I would have done if they had said it was faulty. Are you still going to go? Is it worth calling any other dealers or HO. If you had the trip booked before the letter arrived I think you should be given a loan bike.

Yes I'm still going and on my own bike.

Shall I bring some feeler gauges with me :)

Or you could go vintage and take a time machine back to the Stone Age and borrow one of my 1150's ;)

No need the sealing rubbers have been removed at the inspection so the joint in question is visible and can be monitored visually, thanks for the kind offer but I'll decline, would that be the one that choked enroute to your postponed euro joint recently ;)

Maybe so but it doesn't Instill confidence and plants a seed of doubt no matter how small.

Yes I'm still going and on my own bike.

Thanks for the kind offer but I'll decline, would that be the one that croked enroute to your postponed euro joint recently ;)

Nah. I'd let you have the faster one

The Black one's been fixed - £207 for 2 coil sticks and another £183 for Pivot bearings, at £390 it would have been cheaper to buy BMW warranty:augie

No doubt we'll be 'visually checking' yours, at every coffee stop

No wheelies, mind the gap and mind how you go!!:eek:

My forks were inspected and the new guaranteed to save us all repair done on the 6th July. The letter telling me to contact Vines to get them looked at arrived last week. Better late than never.

Took my 2016 LC for its first service yesterday, 5600km and only road driving. Was rather shocked that when the BMW Dealers tested my front forks for the '' agreed BMW acceptable tolerance" they were out and I had both to be changed.
In Holland all owners have received a letter from BMW stating checks needs to be carried out at the earliest possible opportunity but would only be changed if needed. Again in Holland any form of official recall is done by the Dutch version of the DVLA so they ensure they capture ALL vehicles. Its not quite at that stage yet though.....

I had mine inspected at Allan Jefferies on Thursday and it was fine (but I already knew that), so they've ordered the collars and I await the call to take it in.

They claimed only one bike out of approx. 300 checked so far has had a gap also requiring the stanchions replacing

What a coincidence. Had mine checked at Vines and was told they had checked 300 bikes and only found one faulty bike.

Sounds like they are reading from the same script to me.

I'm now on a waiting list of around 50 bikes waiting for the collars. Wifey at the dealers told me there's a back order of around 100,000 units. Sounded a bit too well rehearsed to me but at least they confirmed what my own feeler gauges told me and I have no issue at present. The main reason for the visit was a 12k service anyway.

Mine was due to be sorted out next week when in for service and warranty work , spoke to the dealer on Tuesday and apparently despite the fact that they have the tools there are no collars available at this time .

Picked my new GSA TB up on the 1st July, 2 days before the recall was announced.

Dealer checked the forks 2 weeks later at the running in service, all OK but collars not available until October.

As I'm off to the Pyrenees on September 4th and will be riding off-road with my wife on the back I wasn't happy so rang BMW complaints who asked me to take bike to my nearest dealer, Riders in Cardiff (not the dealer I bought it from) on the 12th August.

They checked bike again, still all OK, but because of my trip and intention to ride off-road they spoke to BMW. Had a call on the 15th and collars fitted on the 16th.

Riders were superb and I can highly recommend them as a very friendly and efficient dealer.

Two of my mates have had to have new forks following the recall. But we do ride off road a bit

I parked up for a coffee last weekend and a guy with one of those colourful GS Rallye's came running over, "Get yours checked quick, mine had a 3mm gap!" He then went off to tell every other LC GS owner in sight. Mine were already checked and OK so I await collars.

Collar fitted today!
b0ae4444e06fb5cf8780443267905c32.jpg

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom