Iceland adventure 2017

Time for me to think about what camping equipment I need for this trip. So far I have a sleeping bag.

When I told my mate about this trip he said that I was welcome to borrow his camping gear and last week he dragged it down from the loft for me. His tent is a Vango Omega 350 which on the computer looked just the job. He said that there was plenty of space to spread yourself out in. Well we put it up in his garden and it was huge. ABSOLUTELY HUGE. To me it looked big enough for a family with almost enough room for the bike.

So I need a tent. The Vango Omega 250 looks good on paper. What do the experts think? What sort of pegs will I need for Iceland? Will I need a hammer? Should I get a footprint groundsheet? I'm trying not to look at Hilleberg tents which appear to be the best. After all I might not like this camping lark!

He lent me a couple of tired looking stoves. One petrol and the other gas. No wind screen. The cooking equipment looked sufficient for having a brew but not much more.

What stove should I get? What fuel? What utensils? Wind screen?

He lent me a three quarter length inflatable mattress. I read on this site that an Exped downmat is essential?

What have I forgotten? Where to start?

Time for me to think about what camping equipment I need for this trip. So far I have a sleeping bag.

When I told my mate about this trip he said that I was welcome to borrow his camping gear and last week he dragged it down from the loft for me. His tent is a Vango Omega 350 which on the computer looked just the job. He said that there was plenty of space to spread yourself out in. Well we put it up in his garden and it was huge. ABSOLUTELY HUGE. To me it looked big enough for a family with almost enough room for the bike.

So I need a tent. The Vango Omega 250 looks good on paper. What do the experts think? What sort of pegs will I need for Iceland? Will I need a hammer? Should I get a footprint groundsheet? I'm trying not to look at Hilleberg tents which appear to be the best. After all I might not like this camping lark!

He lent me a couple of tired looking stoves. One petrol and the other gas. No wind screen. The cooking equipment looked sufficient for having a brew but not much more.

He lent me a three quarter length inflatable mattress. I read on this site that an Exped downmat is essential?

Stove what stove?

Attachments

• IMG_5176.jpg
    IMG_5176.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 264

I'm taking a Trangia (running on meths) to cook on, and an MSR Pocket Rocket to make a brew on - hot coffee with my hot bacon.... mmmm!
Tent-wise, I'm taking a 3-man tent with porch: plenty of space inside to dump my riding gear, and somewhere dry and sheltered to eat my hot bacon and drink my hot coffee. And to keep the inevitable rain out of my cup of single malt.

You need a tent with a good porch area and foot print ground sheet to stow all your gear, plenty of rocks for tent pegs.
As for a stove each to there own I use a Jet Boil.

I'm taking a Trangia (running on meths) to cook on, and an MSR Pocket Rocket to make a brew on - hot coffee with my hot bacon.... mmmm!
Tent-wise, I'm taking a 3-man tent with porch: plenty of space inside to dump my riding gear, and somewhere dry and sheltered to eat my hot bacon and drink my hot coffee. And to keep the inevitable rain out of my cup of single malt.

As for Meths NO flammable liquids in the shipping contain, fuel in bike has to be minimal.
I like my bacon crispy with Worcester sauce served at 7.30am thank you

As for Meths NO flammable liquids in the shipping contain, fuel in bike has to be minimal.
I like my bacon crispy with Worcester sauce served at 7.30am thank you

What about single malt? Technically that's flammable!

As for crispy bacon at 7:30am with Worcester sauce... I'll enjoy listening to you cook while I roll over for a second sleep!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It will soon come round :beerjug:
Looking forward to getting this beast to Iceland

Wow. Absolutely gorgeous. I have lusted after those. I am going to be so lardy with the TC GSA... (actually I'm lardy without it too but that's a different matter).

I've just noticed that my bike insurance doesn't cover Iceland. Can anyone recommend an insurance company that might offer cover for the period of the trip?

Although I'm not going on this trip I've been reading all about the build up and last years write up as well.

I have just come back from my first visit to Iceland for a long weekend and all I can say is what an experience it will be to tour it on a bike. Although I did the usual tourist bits we had a trip out to the national park and some of the roads and trails around there looked amazing. Certainly got my mind thinking for the future of getting on one of these trips and getting away from the tourist traps. Looking forward to the reports have fun ya Jammy buggers. :beerjug:

I've just noticed that my bike insurance doesn't cover Iceland. Can anyone recommend an insurance company that might offer cover for the period of the trip?
Cancel that... after a very, very, very long call to my insurers, they've decided I am covered. And more importantly I've got an email to say as much.

Back
Top Bottom