DIY tool board - smart ideas?

The Other PaulG

Still searching
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all -

I am keen to attach a tool board to the wall above the bench in my garage.

The commercially available ones seem pretty good but at £50+ (then paying for hooks as well) I think I should be able to save some cash and possibly end up with a better solution by doing something DIY.

I don't have anything unusual to store, just the usual spanners, drivers etc - and it doesn't need to be flexible, once I've decided where everything should go I'm not planning to alter it.

So... before I build something functional but heinous looking with 60 wood screws sticking out, please does anyone have any examples of clever designs they've built?

Cheers,

The Other Paul G

Attachments

• tool board.jpg
    tool board.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 924
Buy a peg board made from hardboard (comes with holes spaced 50mm apart I think). Screw it on to some 50mm square battens to make a frame and fix that to your wall. You can buy bags of S hooks, cheaply, from Ikea to use to hold your tools up. I made three large ones in my woodwork cabin but I built a second 50mm frame and fitted that to my wall first. To this I screwed on hinges so the peg board could be pivoted open which gave me access to the inside for more storage. I used magnetic tool holders on the inside. They work great and hold loads of tools.

When I go home on Friday I'll take some pics. and load them for you to see.

If the tools are metal you could use magnetic tape on the board to hold the likes of spanners and such

woodworker-com-heavy-duty-magnetic-strips-keep-tools-handy-12-in-strip-idea-4.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20180722_174935423.jpg
    IMG_20180722_174935423.jpg
    245.7 KB · Views: 667
  • IMG_20180722_174913739.jpg
    IMG_20180722_174913739.jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 747
  • IMG_20180722_175111306.jpg
    IMG_20180722_175111306.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 719
  • IMG_20180722_175016322.jpg
    IMG_20180722_175016322.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 670
  • IMG_20180722_175035204.jpg
    IMG_20180722_175035204.jpg
    244.8 KB · Views: 647
Given the number of tools you have, I can see why you need such a good storage solution.

Thanks, that's world class tool boarding!

Cheers,

PG

Here's some pics for you; closed and open:

Wow, that's phenomenal! I'll be doing something similar in my basement when the builders finally finish my house ... :) But I'l have to mount it away form the wall, which suffers from penetrating damp - it's in the basement of a */- 300 year old stone house - so that it can get some air circulation.

Cheers

Simon

Here's some pics for you; closed and open:

Given the number of tools you have, I can see why you need such a good storage solution.

Thanks, that's world class tool boarding!

Cheers,

PG

This only in my woodwork cabin and doesn't include the various tools in my metal workshop area or any bike tool chests.

Wow, that's phenomenal! I'll be doing something similar in my basement when the builders finally finish my house ... :) But I'l have to mount it away form the wall, which suffers from penetrating damp - it's in the basement of a */- 300 year old stone house - so that it can get some air circulation.

Cheers

Simon

Simon,

To mount them off your damp wall why not think about using Unistrut, or equivalent. It's usually 41mm square and comes in long lengths. Electricians use it industrially to mount cable tray, junction boxes, etc. on to it. If you had these fixed to your wall you could then secure wooden battens to them and then do whatever you plan.

Simon,

To mount them off your damp wall why not think about using Unistrut, or equivalent. It's usually 41mm square and comes in long lengths. Electricians use it industrially to mount cable tray, junction boxes, etc. on to it. If you had these fixed to your wall you could then secure wooden battens to them and then do whatever you plan.

Cheers, I'll try to source that or something similar. I was thinking of making spacers out of length's of studding or reinforcing bars for concrete, both of which I have lying around, but I'm keen to make the job appear as 'professional' as I can ...

Ha ha, we will be having a sort of utility room where all of the services, including pipework from the solar panels on the roof - heath exchangers not photovoltaic - run through as well as the water, electricity, etc. plus the ventilation shafts from the kitchen and bathroom. We'll be using 100% 'industrial' for this so may have a few bits and bobs form that to spare ... :)

Simon

Cheers, I'll try to source that or something similar. I was thinking of making spacers out of length's of studding or reinforcing bars for concrete, both of which I have lying around, but I'm keen to make the job appear as 'professional' as I can ...

Ha ha, we will be having a sort of utility room where all of the services, including pipework from the solar panels on the roof - heath exchangers not photovoltaic - run through as well as the water, electricity, etc. plus the ventilation shafts from the kitchen and bathroom. We'll be using 100% 'industrial' for this so may have a few bits and bobs form that to spare ... :)

Simon

With Unistrut, or equivalent, you can secure fixing brackets at any position so full flexibility of mounting exists.
If you can wait until September 2019 I'll come over and fix it all for you as I intend touring the Asturias and Picos.

With Unistrut, or equivalent, you can secure fixing brackets at any position so full flexibility of mounting exists.
If you can wait until September 2019 I'll come over and fix it all for you as I intend touring the Asturias and Picos.

Ha ha, thanks for this but I'm way east in the Pyrenees near Andorra! :) In any event there are plenty of similar options, including recycling stuff I have lying around and as of September I'm retired I'm looking for things to potter around with! :)

Simon

Find an industrial electrician he might have a load of uni strut offcuts

I have a tool bag, but I use it if I need to take my tools somewhere. To store my tools, I try to create tool storage with my own hands. I found the idea of different tool storage options.

Last edited:
I made three large ones in my woodwork cabin but I built a second 50mm frame and fitted that to my wall first. To this I screwed on hinges so the peg board could be pivoted open which gave me access to the inside for more storage.

Keep any power tools or crowbars, lump hammers or anything else that can be used to attack bike locks in a secure locked steel cabinet, do not make things easy for them if your garage is broken into

Back
Top Bottom